5W-20 or 5W-30 for my 2005 Hyundai ELantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I own a MINT condition 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS with just 34220 miles on it. It have been driven very easy for these miles and
I have been doing 4-5000 oil/filter changes since new. I have always used Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30, with the blue Hyundai
filter. The engine runs beautifully.

I am wondering if I was to switch to the Motorcraft 5W-20, instead of the 5W-30, would I see any real noticeable fuel
mileage increase?
Also, will the 5W-20 provide the same long term engine protection that I have been getting from the 5W-30.

Since I plan on owning my Elantra long term to hopefully 200,000 miles, I want the best lubrication protection.

Thanks

Keep going with the MC 5W-30. Great oil that will serve you well. I'm pretty sure you're engine calls for 5W-30, so stick with that!

If you have the 4 cylinder engine they prefer a thicker oil like a 30wt or a 40wt in the summer.

If you have the V6 it likes the 5w20 and you will feel the engine really smoothen out with its use.

I know my 2.7L V6 in my Santa Fe loves 5w20.

Steve
grin2.gif

My Elantra owner's manual states to use either "5W-20, 5W-30."

I have also read that 5W-20 will not provide as much lub protection as the 5W-30.

Don't go by rhetoric and personal opinions or you will drive yourself nuts and this board is full of that sometimes.

As a Hyundai nut myself and having done a lot of mechanical work I can tell you if you have a 4 cylinder you want to use a 30wt year round and possibly a 40wt in the summer.

If you have the V6 they like 20wts better.

My mother has a KIA (Hyundai Sister Company) and it has the same 4 cylinder as is found in the Elantra and it loves 30 & 40wts.

I've run both 5w30 and 5w20 in my 08 2.0 Spectra, both seem to work fine. The cap says 5w20, why would you want to run a 40w?

Yes,

But, will the 5W-20 provide just as good lub protection as the 5W-30 over a 200,000 mile period??

That is the question.

2004 HYUNDAI ELANTRA 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [D] DOHC
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
AMSOIL European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFLQT)
XL 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLOQT)
Above -9F......10W-30, 10W-40
Below 95F......5W-30, 5W-40

2005 HYUNDAI ELANTRA 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [D] DOHC
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASMQT)
XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLMQT)
Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSOQT)
Above 0F......10W-30
All TEMPS......5W-20, 5W-30

What a difference a year makes.
21.gif

Quote:
would I see any real noticeable fuel
mileage increase?

It would depend mainly on trip length. I doubt you would see much in my tea leaf reading of your frequency of service (mileage wise).

Originally Posted By: flinter
Yes,

But, will the 5W-20 provide just as good lub protection as the 5W-30 over a 200,000 mile period??

That is the question.

I'm certain it will. But the only way to prove it would be to run two identical vehicles side by side under the exact same conditions for 200,000 miles and tear them down.

If it were my vehicle I'd run the oil it was spec'd for, or the oil I was using for the first 34,420 miles unless I had a problem. The average driver probably won't notice any difference in mpgs changing to a 20 grade oil. OTOH if it was back spec'd to a 20 grade I'd probably give it a try. I like the 20 grade oils in applications that call for them.

I have the same motor in my 2008 Kia Spectra. I've run 5-30 Valvoline Synpower in winter and mix of 1 qrt of 5-30 Synpower and 3 qts of 5-20 PP in summer (finished of the WM jug of Synpower). I did not see much difference in gas mileage. Butt dino said engine with 5-20 mix felt more responsive.

Changing oil again soon. Will finish off 2 gts of 5-20 PP and make up the rest with VWB 5-30.

Here's an easy test.

Next 5w-30 OCI, mark your odometer reading at the first fill up. Collect all your fuel receipts. Mark your last fill up before changing to 5w-20. Calculate average MPG over the entire OCI.

Then do the same thing, except with 10w-40.

Compare. If you've got a decent variance, you can perhaps attribute it to seasonal weather, but if you see none ..you've got your answer. It would show what did not occur with a broad span of visc.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I have the same motor in my 2008 Kia Spectra. I've run 5-30 Valvoline Synpower in winter and mix of 1 qrt of 5-30 Synpower and 3 qts of 5-20 PP in summer (finished of the WM jug of Synpower). I did not see much difference in gas mileage. Butt dino said engine with 5-20 mix felt more responsive.

Changing oil again soon. Will finish off 2 gts of 5-20 PP and make up the rest with VWB 5-30.

Same car I have, and I've ran

Mobile 0w-30
Edge 5w30
PP 5w20 (in it now)
and I think I'm going to stick with the 5w20. I'm curious about a 5w40, but I wonder if anything is different inside the engine ebtween the years that call for 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back