Fuel filling problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Toyota Echo 4 speed Automatic keeps shutting off the fuel filling nozzle as if it is full. The car takes only the slowest rate of fuel without triggering the fuel shutoff. Ten minutes to fill it's tank! Tried pulling nozzle out a couple inches, changing nozzle positions, only the trickle fill works.
Same problem at different gas stations.

Help

05 and 06 Mustangs tend to do that also. Try trickle filling with the nozzle pulled out a little until you get a little in then gradually increase the flow and push the nozzle back in. That's the only thing I can think of unless Toyota has a TSB on that and will agree to do a fix for free even though it is out of warranty.

I had that problem on an Avalon just a few months ago. I crawled under there to have a look. I discovered a rubber tube coming from the mess of tubes connected to the gas tank that disappeared down into a hole in the frame (aka fuel tank breather). When I pulled it off I discovered a decent size spider with a silky home behind him. I could see a number of spider babies crawling around in there too.

I just poked a screwdriver in there and sprayed some carb cleaner into the tube and the problem disappeared.

You might get the same effect by blowing some pressurized air into the gas tank, but you won't kill as many spiders that way.

Most cars by 2003 have a vent valve with a small filter in it at the end of the tank vent tube. The filter needs to be blown out if accessible or the whole valve may need a replacement.

Filling the tank with the vent hose temporarly disconnected from the valve can help pinpoint the problem but will set an EVAP code (likely P0455) if left that way long enough.

Yes good input, I'll get back under there. Sure is a birds nest of rubber hoses going in/out of the charcoal canister.
Thanks guys.

I don't know if it applies in your caes, but a damaged charcoal cannister, caused by overfilling the tank (topping off after the pump clicks off) can cause this. Pricey to fix.

My 1996 Ford Contour is that way. I have to set the fill rate on the slowest setting. On certain pumps in the past it would shut off even at the slowest setting. I'd then have to pull the nozzle out partially and hand pump slowly, but not 10 minutes to fill the tank
shocked2.gif
. Some Contour's were so bad that it did take 10 minutes to fill the tank. What I read was the plastic flapper at the end of the fill tube would "swell" and not allow proper filling.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back