Select best or favorite HDEO, Rotella T5 or Delo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as HDEO Goes, i notice they are all 15W-40 and decently priced at Wal-Mart.

I have heard wonderful things about Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 HDEO the last few days, including being above average at resisting fuel Dilution, and if it can be used for the life of an engine, it nullifies the need for HM Oils.. (right?)

So, for the Board's input: If you were going to WalMart to select an HDEO, would you choose:

1) Shell Rotella T5 in the Blue jug (Synthetic Blend HDEO i believe, 15W-40,)or
2) Delo 400 Or Shell Rotella "T" in the White Jug, also 15W-40?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

I don't think T5 comes in 15w-40 grade. It's either 10w-30 or 10w-40.

To me, it comes down to how often you want to change it. If you'll be changing it every 3k miles, I'd just use the mineral Rotella T 15w-40. If on the other hand you want to run longer intervals or you live up north, I'd run Rotella T6 5w-40.

Also, this should have been posted in the HDEO forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I don't think T5 comes in 15w-40 grade. It's either 10w-30 or 10w-40.

Ahh. Cool. T5 is the blend, yes? In the Blue?

Ok then, how is Shell Rotella "T" in the White Jug thats 15W-40?

If HDEO wont expose leaks, im sold. Maybe some STP Blue Bottle for the Moly and ZDDP, but nothing else.

Ok then, how is Shell Rotella "T" in the White Jug thats 15W-40?

Do a search in the HDEO forum - this oil has been discussed quite a lot, and is generally considered to be very good.

I prefer Delo over Rotella. My 1.5 million mile Cummins N14 even leaks less oil using Delo. It leaks the most with rotella. My Past UOA results seem to favor Delo too. I figure if 95% use of Delo can make this engine run this many miles and still not need an overhaul, it's doing something right.

Originally Posted By: Hammer
I prefer Delo over Rotella. My 1.5 million mile Cummins N14 even leaks less oil using Delo. It leaks the most with rotella. My Past UOA results seem to favor Delo too. I figure if 95% use of Delo can make this engine run this many miles and still not need an overhaul, it's doing something right.

Delo 400?

1) Shell Rotella T5 in the Blue jug

If it's in the blue jug, it's Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic. T5 is 10w30 or 10w40 only, and in a silver/grey jug with a grey/yellow label.

T6 is very, very hard to beat for a does-everything synthetic oil in its price range. I certainly wouldn't use it in anything specifying 5w20, but almost everything that takes Xw30 and up can use it without worry.

Originally Posted By: Hammer

Delo 400?

yes

I have 593,000 miles on my '06 Cummins ISX using a 15w40 40% synthetic blend from my local oil supplier, Allied Oil and Supply, and get as good or better wear numbers than I ever did with any of the full synthetics and regular DEO's I tried. And I get this oil for $9 a gallon, delivered. Some darn good stuff out there, and the prices are pretty good since you are not having to pay for slick advertising, million dollar commercials during the Super Bowl, and race car sponsorships.

Oh, daman, you better not have had any rebuilds on an N-14 with only 633,000 miles on it! That is a darn good engine. Took my '96 N-14 to 1.4 million miles and sold the truck (my bad) and the engine never was opened up. Still got average 7 mpg in that semi and only used a gallon every 7000-8000 miles and doing 30,000 mile oil changes in it.

Yep one of the good ones she lives a harsh life tho heavy loads lots of dust dirt mud i have a ISX 500 in my 01 international that's a good one too(beside the darn oil leak front cover now fixed) but the ol N14 brings smiles when i jam'em!

Originally Posted By: scurvy
1) Shell Rotella T5 in the Blue jug

If it's in the blue jug, it's Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic. T5 is 10w30 or 10w40 only, and in a silver/grey jug with a grey/yellow label.

T6 is very, very hard to beat for a does-everything synthetic oil in its price range. I certainly wouldn't use it in anything specifying 5w20, but almost everything that takes Xw30 and up can use it without worry.

I agree with him on the T6.

Oh, if I'm thinking of the right oil (I may not be, haha) the T5 is in a white jug at my local wal-mart and I think it's 15w40. Also, the Delo is just $9 a gallon, which is awesome; I've been meaning to pick some up, just in case my father in law needs a change. He has a truck he uses that is Diesel and just bought an 06 Jetta TDI, though he said it takes 10w40 diesel oil, and all of them at WM are 15w40 or 5w40 for some reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
Oh, if I'm thinking of the right oil (I may not be, haha) the T5 is in a white jug at my local wal-mart and I think it's 15w40.

Like I said, T5 is silver/grey bottle, silver/yellow label, 10w40 & 10w30 only. If it's white bottle 15w40, that's T3.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
He has a truck he uses that is Diesel and just bought an 06 Jetta TDI, though he said it takes 10w40 diesel oil, and all of them at WM are 15w40 or 5w40 for some reason.

All non-commonrail TDIs take 5w40. If it's a 2006, T6 (and pretty much every other synthetic CJ-4 5w40 oil like Mobil 1 TDT, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO) has shown much lower wear rates that the 'required' VW 505.01.

Hi.

I have always used Mobil Delvac 1300 Super in my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. I change it every 5000 miles. It currently has over 400,000 miles on the original 5VZ-FE motor. I also installed a TRD supercharger at ~120,000 miles and...no complaints. It is still running perfectly fine. Does not burn any oil or leak at all.

I have also used Rotella T 15W-40. Perfectly fine too. However, the reason why I use Mobil Delvac is simply because I have easier access to it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Do not add STP anything to Rotella T anything. The oil does not need any help.

+1
Additives are a suckers kind of thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back