Honda Element - Starting trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an '05 element and it is currently driving me crazy. here's the long story...

in december when it was
i got online and researched at the honda element owners club forum and also called around the local honda shops to ask for opinions. the best guess was the transmission range switch, so i ordered it online. immediately, the element stopped having the problem. i mean, immediately from the moment of purchase. i never put the switch on. when it got here i put it in the shed in case it started doing it again.

fast forward to june...it's doing it again. on my 2nd day at a new job, on a job site, i thought i was going to be stuck there. it always starts, just takes multiple tries, and it only happens occasionally. i took it to the mechanic, he put on the transmission range switch and checked out everything, didn't see any problems. (of course it started right up for him
frown.gif

it's still doing it. i don't know what to do. i turn the key and get nothing. the dash lights come on, but it doesn't start. i don't hear any clicking or ticking or pumps running or anything. any ideas?

I would start with the easy stuff. Use a top tier gas like Shell. Then go for the v-power stuff(yep its the most expensive grade). You may have water in the gas etc. Try some fuel treatment that removes water.

My mom had some warm start issues with her 05 Matrix. Took it to the dealer since there was a tsb on it. That didn't help.

She tried what I stated earlier about a month ago and so far so good.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I would start with the easy stuff. Use a top tier gas like Shell. Then go for the v-power stuff(yep its the most expensive grade). You may have water in the gas etc. Try some fuel treatment that removes water.

My mom had some warm start issues with her 05 Matrix. Took it to the dealer since there was a tsb on it. That didn't help.

She tried what I stated earlier about a month ago and so far so good.

just how does gasoline cause a no crank issue?
i am betting on a bad ignition switch or the relay to the starter.

My sister in law has the same problem with her 06 cr-v. Basically the same thing as an element. It always starts for the dealer so they cant find anything wrong. a few years back Honda had a recall on ignition switches maybe thats the prob .I dont know. keep searching the online forums you might find an answer there. Try honda tech or the temple of v-tech.
Could have something with the anti theft key, the computer reads the key to make sure it is the right one for the car. just a thought.

Last edited:
i've tried switching the key to my spare key and get the same problem. maybe i'll get the ignition switch replaced next and see if that works?

do all the dome lights come on when you have the key in the on position? do they all turn off when you turn the key in the "run" position? I found a website the other day that talked about specifically about defective honda/acura ignition switches with a google search. When I was researching starter problems. have you been going to a Honda dealer under warranty about the problem?

No, it isn't a key issue if the starter doesn't crank. If the immobilizer system is broken or the key isn't being read, it WILL crank but WON'T start, and the green key indicator on the dash will blink.

Being intermittent, it doesn't sound like an ignition switch problem. Generally the ignition switch problems with Honda was that the ignition switch would wear causing it to shut off with the slightest tap to the key. Meaning you could go over a pothole and if the key got jarred a bit the car would stall. That's been an issue on various Honda's going back to the early 90's.

My guess would be some sort of electrical issue.

The transmission range switch COULD cause the problem but most likely not. The trans range switch is on the trans itself. I would start looking at the switches inside the vehicle underneath the shifter assembly.

Next time it acts up, try this:

Grab the shift lever and give it a nice solid push to make sure Park is "fully" engaged. Even though it's obviously in park, push it a bit at the end of the lever travel. There's a little switch inside the shift lever console that sometimes goes bad, and you have to really jam it into park to make it register that the car is in park and it can start.

I've seen this happen on brand new cars before. PM me for further info.

Last edited:
which one of these switches?
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto...y5=SELECT+LEVER

also, i thought of something today. about 2 years ago i was taking the dog to the park for a run and she jumped over on me, caught her paw on the keychain, and the keys came out while i was going down the road. i just put the key back in the ignition and kept on trucking. the key hasn't fallen out like that since, but could it have caused some damage at the time?

Do they still have neutral safety switches on automatic transmissions? I had the problem on an old 260z. Intermittent starting, no crank, nothing. Jiggle the tranny lever and sometimes it would start up.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu

My bad..I read thru the original post and already starting formulating an answer without reading the last sentence or two.

I would go to http://www.driveaccord.net . I know you don't have an Accord but there are some Honda techs on there. There's a lady by the name of "Princess" that has access to all the honda bulletins. Her husband is a master tech for Honda.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: kc8adu

My bad..I read thru the original post and already starting formulating an answer without reading the last sentence or two.

I would go to http://www.driveaccord.net . I know you don't have an Accord but there are some Honda techs on there. There's a lady by the name of "Princess" that has access to all the honda bulletins. Her husband is a master tech for Honda.

i'll check that out later. i don't have an accord, but it is the accord engine.

First, remove & clean your battery connections then retighten (both ends). Next do the same with your starter. Probably not the issue but you would feel pretty silly if your battery connections were simply dirty or loose. Did you load test the battery? If not do that as well. Batteries can meter 12v but have a broken plate or bad cell and short intermittenly. If all this doesn't do it go to the relay box and start there. Then the IGN switch. Then pull & test the starter & solenoid.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem ... and my dealer thought the transmission range sensor is the likely problem. Fortunately, I read your post before I asked them to do the work and wasted a pile of money. By the way, I can move the shift selector to neutral and get mine started. On Edmund's site, I see more Element owners with this same issue .... and no one has posted a known solution.

I wish, on complex issues like this, we wouldn't get virtually worthless advice like "check battery cables."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back