Sirloin Steaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
What was unpleasant about it? Overcooked?

It wasn't very tender-- let's just say my teeth were ready to fall out after I finished eating.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: tom slick
So did ya cook those Sirloins yet?

So, I think I'm going to try pan frying them next and marinating them with some baking soda.

Their is no such thing using baking soda for marinating you would never use this idea and don't know how you came up with this unless you want to troll.

Get rid of the sirloin and use a better cut of beef for steaks like ribeye it will be more forgiving if over cooked and much more tender cut of meat. Any method posted above will produce a good result keep at it it will get better.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Argentine beef in the US isn't at all like you get served there. I think they export the feed lot beef that the locals won't eat.

I eat Argentine once a week at the 11TH Street Diner in Miami Beach...Its awesome...I don't cook but if I did that is the only steak I would cook.

Does the George Foreman grill sort of like steams the meat resulting in a rubbery texture something you don't want to do with beef. I tried a similar grill years ago, it cooks fast keeping heat in but it was like steaming the meat.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Their is no such thing using baking soda for marinating you would never use this idea and don't know how you came up with this unless you want to troll.

Get rid of the sirloin and use a better cut of beef for steaks like ribeye it will be more forgiving if over cooked and much more tender cut of meat. Any method posted above will produce a good result keep at it it will get better.

Actually, a family friend owns a Chinese restaurant and told us that using a small amount of baking soda and "marinating" the beef for about 20 minutes (and then washing it off) before cooking will tenderize the meat. My mom tried this at home and it worked great, so yes, it does work.

I doubt a George Forman grill puts out enough heat to sear a steak properly. It probably steamed the steak and overcooked it. That, and many cuts of sirloin are very lean and have hardly any marbling - that equates to a tough cut of meat if you simply grill the entire cut.

Get some ribeyes or t-bones, cook them on a proper grill with enough heat, sear them, and don't over cook them (4 or 5 minutes tops per side). You'll have much better results!

If you pan sear them, you'll need to finish them in the oven or you'll end up with a proper sear and raw meat in the middle, or totally burned outer layer with proper temp in the middle.

Last edited:

Actually, a family friend owns a Chinese restaurant and told us that using a small amount of baking soda and "marinating" the beef for about 20 minutes (and then washing it off) before cooking will tenderize the meat. My mom tried this at home and it worked great, so yes, it does work.

I may say in the 25 years that I have been cooking and can cook anything that is put in front of me. I have never seen this used I looked into this and I stand corrected YES you can use baking soda as a rub or in marinating the meat seems to be mostly used for stirfry.
I guess you learn something everyday with that said I won't be using it any time soon. Good quality cut meat and a better cut of meat will give you better results.

p.s. get a ribeye.

The general rule is the leaner the cut, the rarer you have to cook it to prevent it getting tough. Or you have to cook it for a long long time, like a roast.
We have venison rare as venturing into medium rare territory makes it a tough chew. Or it is done as a pot roast.

I may say in the 25 years that I have been cooking and can cook anything that is put in front of me. I have never seen this used I looked into this and I stand corrected YES you can use baking soda as a rub or in marinating the meat seems to be mostly used for stirfry.
I guess you learn something everyday with that said I won't be using it any time soon. Good quality cut meat and a better cut of meat will give you better results.

p.s. get a ribeye.

My dad has worked in Chinese restaurants for years and that's how all of them make cheap meats tender. So the next time you think your take out joint is using quality meats because they're tender...

Baking soda is commonly used, like you guys said, but the problem is this will also wash out the "taste" of the meat, not good for steak. If you have eaten a fast food steak in china or Hong Kong you know what I mean. You need to add a whole bunch of seasoning to hide the lack of flavor.

I don't eat alot of chinese food, but now I know what's up with the beef. It does usually have an odd texture and suspiciously tender...
I've read through Italy and Japan last night in my Steak book and now have a hankering to try some japanese beef. Funny thing is that as good as the steak was, the authors best beef was from the tongue...

I have to go 'home' to Ohio to find beef tongue. Last Christmas I bought 2 at Meijer's - still have one in the freezer for my birthday dinner. Here, even the 'Beef People' Winn Dixie can't order it for me.

If you've never tried it, give it a shot - very flavorful and tender.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
I have to go 'home' to Ohio to find beef tongue. Last Christmas I bought 2 at Meijer's - still have one in the freezer for my birthday dinner. Here, even the 'Beef People' Winn Dixie can't order it for me.

I am going to give my local butcher a call and see if they'll save one for me... I have a feeling tongues normally end up in their dog food. In the last chapter of the Steak book, the author raised his own grass fed beef and also enjoyed the tongues very much!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick

I am going to give my local butcher a call and see if they'll save one for me... I have a feeling tongues normally end up in their dog food. In the last chapter of the Steak book, the author raised his own grass fed beef and also enjoyed the tongues very much!

A man comes home from work and sits down to eat, there is some thinly sliced strange looking meat on his plate.

Man: What is this on my plate?

Wife: It's tongue dear.

Man: Fix me something else, I won't eat anything that comes out of an animals mouth.

Wife: What would you like to have.

Man: An omelet.

Good One, XS650
crackmeup2.gif

Just moved into an apartment (which is why I've been AWOL for the last few days) and I need to start learning how to cook. Earlier tonight, I bought a big pack of sirloin steaks from the local supermarket. What's a good way to cook these?

Thanks!

There are a million ways to cook a steak and 99% of the time, I go for quick and simple. It depends on whether I'm grilling it or cooking on the stove top. Either way, the prep is the same for me.

Preparation
- Put a light coating of olive oil on the steak.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Push seasoning into steak with the back of a serving spoon.
- Let steak sit on counter for ~20 minutes or until slightly below room temperature.

Stove Top
- Set burner to medium or medium low and let cast iron skillet heat up for about 10 or 15 minutes (you can use olive oil or butter). Avoid the urge to turn the heat up too high, or it will just smoke.
- Cook for four minutes uncovered, flip and cook for another four minutes.

An alternative recipe calls for using an oil with a high burn point. You try to get the pan as hot as possible (it will probably smoke) and then sere the outside of the steak for about a minute on each side and then put the pan and steak into the oven (set to broil) for about 4 or 5 minutes. This makes for an awesome steak but take a lot of practice.

Grill
- Turn all of the burners on high, close top and max out the temperature.
- Put steak on grill for about two minutes and flip it.
- Let other side cook for two minutes.
- Turn off unused burners and turn down to medium.
- Cook steak(s) in covered grill for about four minutes.

One of the tricks for cooking steaks is to remember that they will continue to cook for about a minutes after you take them off of the heat source. Try to take them off of the grill or skillet when they are slightly pinker than desired. Also, when cooking beef, it's a good idea to not just pull it out of the fridge and throw it onto the heat source. Grilling cold food is a good way to excessively burn the surface, while attempting to bring the center to the correct temperature.

I also highly recommend investing in a digital instant read thermometer. The dial thermometers work fine too but you have to remember that the sensor is about two inches from the end, so you have to puncture the meat on the side and stick it fairly far into it. The digital thermometers typically have the sensor at the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back