Brake pads - Akebono, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing new brake pads (front and rear) on my Kia Optima this weekend. I want something with fairly long life and doesn't generate tons of thick black dust. Based on what I've been told, ceramic is the way to go. Is this correct?

Akebono seems to be well regarded. They do cost more than other brands and I'd like to confirm that they are really worth it before buying. I don't have a problem paying for quality as long as I get it.

I understand Raybestos has changed hands and may or may not have changed in quality. Any comments? Also, what about the Wearever pads at Advance Auto Parts? Both of these pads cost a lot less.

Finally, does anyone know who makes the Carquest brake fluid? Or is Castrol LMA really as good as it sounds?

Thanks in advance!

I used the Wearever Silver brake pads on the front of my BMW. They were $25 and I got $10 off with coupon so I paid $15. So far they are great and same quality as OEM BMW from what I see,

I have used Akebono pads and been VERY happy with them.
Not all "Ceramic" pads are created equal.

The setup that I liked the BEST on my Windstar is Akebono pads with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors.

If you want pads from Raybestos......I would get the Advanced Technology ceramic pads.

Raybestos has 3 price points......
Service Grade
Professional Grade
Advanced Technology

As far a brake fluid.....I am really big on bleeding some fluid at each wheel every 1 to 2 years.
The ensures that you have fresh, CLEAN fluid at each wheel.
You can have clean fluid in the master cylinder and have very dark and dirty fluid at the wheel.
I had looked into the Castrol fluid....but ended up using Valvoline.....was doing so much at the time.
I am very comfortable with the Valvoline fluid.....not as impressive a specification as the Castrol, but still just fine.
The important thing to me was having fresh fluid in the system.

Glad to hear the positive comment on Akebono brake pads, and I appreciate the info on Raybestos should I decide to go that route.

As for the brake fluid, I will definitely bleed the system until it is clear. I figure that any DOT3 brake fluid should be as better than the aging 4 year old stuff that is in there (I know, I've been bad... should have done this already).

Done alot of research into brakes and their coefficient of friction. First of all, your life can depend on brakes and the quality of pads makes a BIG difference. Don't buy the CHEAPO lifetime pad.

for low dust, go with something like EBC ultimax or redstuff, Hawk performance ceramic, axxis metal master or the like. I never buy parts store brake pads. Akebono gets good reviews but I've never ran them. Check out tire rack's selection or other online performance.

Factory coefficient is around .25-.35. You'd be amazed at how much better the above will stop than OEM or cheap aftermarket. I just put ultimax on a PT and [censored] it stops nice. They handle heat better (stop and go as well as hills).

Also, if your front brakes are worn a lot more than your rears at the same millage, you might want to consider a slightly higher friction on the rear to "balance" the front and rear braking. Some vehicles have almost no rear braking force (case in point the PT I just worked on).

If the brakes are cheap, the will require more pedal pressure. This in turn will increase the possibility of glazing the rotors, significantly reducing braking performance.

Expect to Pay $60+ for good rear pads and 75+ for good front.

Don't overlook the rotors either. If you need new, you don't need slotted (couldn't hurt) stay away from drilled. Cryo treated would be a plus and definately consider a coated or plated rotor for corrosion protection.

Don't skimp on fluid, especialy with anti lock. Flush every 2 years. Use a dot 4 or 5.1 (if required) synthetic. Forget the dot 3. DO NOT USE DOT 5!!!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i like hawk pads, i'm not sure what year your kia is. an 08 optima part number is HB368F.665

Mine's the late model 2006... same pads as the 2008 I believe.

I replace at least 10 sets of brakes a year - and most of them lately are ceramic; regardless, the quality varies widely. I put Akebono's on my LH and I have never seen such a big improvement in braking ability. (ok, except for Hawk's - which I put on a GTI that we race-prepped with a drop kit, recaros, etc) But my LH is a big, fairly heavy car - and it now stops on a dime - even from tripple digit speeds. so yes, I really like Akebonos.

other pads that impress me: Carbon Metallics.

but, do you really need/want to spend that much on pads for your car? that is up to you. I have certainly used store-brand ceramics on many various cars with good results; I do consider the Wagner Quiet stop pads to be a small step above the average store brand - but not worth $60 a set. besides, their tech support has dissed me 2X.

Last edited:
I put Akebono pads on the rear of my F-150 a few months ago, no complaints at all!

+1 on Akebono pads with no complaints.

I have them on my '99 Civic. I, like you, was looking for something that wasn't too harsh and would wear long as well as being less dusty which I'm happy to say the Akebono pads have been for the past year.

Car brakes as well as expected.

Wagner Thermoquiets or Ceramics. Long wearing, good stopping power, and low dust (in most applications). Were always my first choice as an installer.

I put the Akebono ceramic pads (called Euro something or other) about 8 months ago and 15,000 miles ago on the front of my 2004 BMW 530i and they've been great and very little dust, especially compared to the OEM front pads that were on there perviously.

These cars are notorious for the front brake dust they generate, and the Akebonos have been great in this regard for my car. Also, the stopping power while cold and moderately warm was slightly lower than OEM. It was only notieable for a couple of weeks, but now I'm used to it, and the brakes are still very powerful at high speeds.

Just picked up Akebono ProACT pads for the front and back and CarQuest DOT4 brake fluid (same as Valvoline I think).

This along with Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Kia OEM oil filter should make for a productive weekend.

I just ordered Axxis Ultimates. Are these any good? I have Raybestos Ceramics-Service Grade. They stop very good but, now that they are a tad noisy.

My wifes Lexus RX has Akebono ProAct with Brembo Rotors on all 4 corners. I have to say the the ProAct are the smoothest, quietest with very good stopping power that we have ever had(3 years on the car now).

Her factory Lexus pads wore quickely after 2 years,(not wore out, just down further than I wanted to go into winter with) and I replaced the pads "only" at all 4 corners with SATISFIED Ceramic. They were great too and lasted four years. Would have gone longer but, a rotor or two was warped at the 6 year mark so I replaced everything. 3 years with the Akebono/Brembo combo thus far and I can't beleive how smooth/quiet the braking is, even better than the factory setup(and it was smooth/quiet). Still look nice an beefy yet as I just checked all four corners.

I like ceramic pads as I have used them on several vehicles wheather the vehicle came with ceramic or not. I have even used the least expensive ceramic pads that I can buy(usually on line, good brand name) and I love em'. These are the brake pads for my kind of driving which is normal. Little of everything, city, highway, all 4 seasons is the climate that I live in. Traveling through mountainous states while on family vacations(NY thoough PA into the VA's and down into the Carolina's and sometimes, all the way to FL). Great braking wet/dry, hot/cold, snow/ice. They seem the same all year long.

Lower dusting, not no dusting at all! Never noisy even when dousched with heavey water/huge puddle, car washes.

Just a final update...

Thanks for the recommendations on the brakes. I'm very happy with the Akebono ProACT pads so far. They stop well, and are very quiet.

Hopefully this performance will last - they seem like they are very high quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back