Recomendations for Off-road/enduro Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Can anyone give me their opinion on what oil is best to run in my 2008 Husaberg 550 Enduro/supermoto bike. Its basically a Ktm 525, single cylinder 4stroke race engine.
Delo400 has been extensivly tested in the Bergs and comes out top but unfortunatly its unavailable in the UK.

Shell Rotella is available but is marketed as "rimuala" and has many different blends, check out the link:
http://www-static.shell.com/static/irl/downloads/shell_for_businesses/shell_rimula_guidance_tool.pdf

Im trying to avoid paying for the expensive fully synth oils but dont want to compromise on oil performance.

Also trying to avoild the "Moly" content is important when buying a diesel oil. Could you recomend one from the link, or a suitable alternative to delo400 in the uk?

thanks
phil

Last edited:
Hi,

Respectfully, you have a nice, expensive bike; why not just use a good, premium quality Motorcycle oil for it in the viscosity recommended by the mfr.?? If you divide the price of a couple of quarts of oil by the price of that bike, you get a VERY small number. At least to me, it would not seem to make sense to try to cut corners on a first class bike in that price range.

FYI: My understanding is that Rimula is not the same stuff as the Rotella we have on this side of the pond.

Regards.........

Last edited:
Fully agree with what you say, and that is why im currently filling her up with the real expensive stuff with all the "bells and whistles" as recomended by the manufacturer

However, as often, if you scratch through the surface and cut out all the marketing [censored], there is often a better product available, delo 400 is an example, said product has been proven to increase the life of the rocker arm bearings (weakest point in my engine) by 25 percent over the manufacturers recomended oil.

Trying to find its uk equivelent is proving impossible, which i find hard to accept.

I believe that KTM recommends synthetic in their 4 strokes. That being said, Castrol makes a couple of excellent motorcycle specific oils (blend and full) that are decently priced. I use Castrol RS4 10W-50 in my 4 stroke enduro bikes. I have some friends that use Mobil 1 15W-50 and they haven't had any problems. The one thing you really want to avoid is any oil that is "energy conserving" as we have seen clutch slippage and premature plate wear due to the friction modifiers in automotive oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back