Vavoline Max Life Dex/Merc Compatable with ATF4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to drain and fill my Grand Cherokee's tranny over the weekend. There doesn't seem to be a converter drain so quite a bit will remain. It still has the factory fluid in the trans with 70000 on it. I am going to top off with Max Life Dex/Merc and am wondering about compatability issues such as friction modifiers etc. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

I would stick with ATF+4 myself, the SuperTech variety at Wal-Mart is pretty cheap, and other places often have deals on it as well. It is also a full synthetic, don't think the regular Maxlife is. Oh &
welcome2.gif

Chrysler doesn't recommend using anything that isn't ATF4. Valvoline on the otherhand says it's ok. At work when I am tired of arguing with the manager I just put maxlife in a chrysler.

They always shift hard with maxlife. If it was me, I would buy the least expensive ATF+4 product. They are all the same formula.

Welcome!
welcome2.gif

If that was my Jeep, I'd put nothing in it but full-spec, says-so-on-the-bottle ATF+4. The specs are so strict that as mentioned above, WM Supertech +4 is probably as good as any. I bought 10 qts of it when I got the Dakota 2 months ago, & am about to do my 2nd siphon & refill(~3 qts) on it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Chrysler doesn't recommend using anything that isn't ATF4. Valvoline on the otherhand says it's ok. At work when I am tired of arguing with the manager I just put maxlife in a chrysler.

Everytime I order a special fluid from Napa they send maxlife. I do not see how a fluid can cover all the bases so I refuse it. I'm not going to eat an expensive trans in a customers car because I put the wrong fluid in it.

I would not concerned unless you have a FWD Chrysler/Dodge minivan transaxle, which is the one that is really picky on fluid. Yours is a regular RWD and the Maxlife will be fine. The two ATF fluids are compatible, even if the newest Maxlife is a bit lighter viscosity.

BTW, not all ATF+4 fluids are a "full synthetic". Some are syn-blends but still meet the same spec.

just but castrol ATF+4 in my 08 jeep. $5.99 synthetic. It performs a slightly different than the oem fluid that came out, which i believe is valvoline. melikes, would recommend.

I've read that you can use a dex in your trans, but i wouldn't do it at it's age. stick with the +4 formulations.

M

What engine does that Jeep have? If it's the 4.0, it has the 42RE tranny, which would do OK with a good quality DEX, although there's nothing wrong with ATF+4. If it has the 4.7, it's got the 545RFE, which is a newer design. Use nothing but ATF+4 in those.

That is exactly how I ended up w/2 cases of Max I asked NAPA to send over a couple cases ot ATF 4 and they sent the Maxlife. I phoned them and got the same response ie this fluid covers everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back