BMW K1200LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2002 BMW K1200LT. I see from the service records that the bike has had a steady diet of BMW Motorcycle Oil of the 15w50 variety....synthetic of course.

This is a water cooled engine, so I am wondering why such a heavy weight?

I will be servicing this bike myself. I wonder if it would like a diet of T6 5w40????? Or should I stay with 50wt?

Decided to pour in Rotella T6 5w40. Really smoothed the engine out and it is running great. Also poured Amsoil 75-90 gear oil in the final drive.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I personally would stick with what BMW recommends for that nice bike. How many miles are on it?

Well, after more studying, I found in the BMW manual a huge range of acceptable oils depending on temps, etc. The bike has 46k trouble free miles on it.

Last edited:
I owned that same bike (sold it last year), and always used Rotella 15W-40 HDEO here in Wisconsin. It was very reliable save for two bearing failures in the final drive. A known problem w/ this bike. Caused a huge riff between myself and the local dealer. Due to his indifference, I am off BMW motorcycles for a while. Other than being very top heavy when fully loaded it was great, it could cruise at very high speeds all day. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Other than being very top heavy when fully loaded it was great

This was the main reason why I chose a GL1800 over the K12LT... even though there is a BMW MC dealer within walking distance of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back