Need help: MAZDA ATF M-III or Motorcraft Mercon-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi

Come on bud, you can't tell me the entire post is wrong, and go on to corroborate the suitability of Multi-Vehicle fluids. Motorcraft's Mercon V is a 13 year old specification. I shouldn't have suggested people use Motorcraft Mercon V fluids, however Aftermarket MultiVehicle ATF's are suitable, despite meeting Mercon V specs. Dealers don't deal with MultiVehicle fluids, and would cobble up a new spec in a knee-jerk reactionary fashion upon realising that Motorcraft Mercon V is not suitable for the FNR5. Betcha Mazda didn't know that at the time they chose the otherwise coincidental and arbitrary letters of M and V for their specification. Service Bulletins aren't friendly reminders, they're notices of change

Let the errors keep on coming.

You're irritating.

So according to you the preceding are all "errors" and in fact, according to badblt the following is true:
-Mercon V is a NOT 13 yr old spec
-Aftermarket MultiVehicle fluids stating suitability for M-V are NOT suitable for use in place of M-V, despite saying so simply because they also meet Mercon V
-Dealers DO in fact deal with MultiVehicle fluids
-M-V is truly an arbitrary and coincidental choice of letters
-Mazda knew this all along and
-Service Bulletins ARE just friendly reminders and NOT actually service bulletins indicating a change in procedure.

Stop being stupid. Thanks!

Quote:

NOTE:
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.
CAUTION:
• USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
• USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO
USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

You know what this really says? It says Mazda M-V is a lower VI ATF that is fully conventional (per MSDS), and not semi-synthetic like Mercon V and has a little more friction modifier in it.

The worst that can potentially happen is "shift feel complaints". That's potentially. I mean, let's forget that thousands of Mazda boxes are full of Mercon V at the moment, and any reason to change is if there are shift complaints. Hey badblt, can you do me a fave? Can you be a nitpicky whiner about very low stakes and call me wrong, but not actually specify what you think is wrong? Great! Good work.

You know what this really says? It says Mazda M-V is a lower VI ATF that is fully conventional (per MSDS), and not semi-synthetic like Mercon V and has a little more friction modifier in it.

The worst that can potentially happen is "shift feel complaints". That's potentially. I mean, let's forget that thousands of Mazda boxes are full of Mercon V at the moment, and any reason to change is if there are shift complaints. Hey badblt, can you do me a fave? Can you be a nitpicky whiner about very low stakes and call me wrong, but not actually specify what you think is wrong? Great! Good work.

Your work speaks for itself. It needs no help from me. I'm just glad I get a few laughs in. Things had been pretty boring lately.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Your work speaks for itself. It needs no help from me. I'm just glad I get a few laughs in. Things had been pretty boring lately.

Okay, so you really have nothing. Cool. Better troll next time.

-Service Bulletins ARE just friendly reminders and NOT actually service bulletins indicating a change in procedure.

This isn't true 100%. Some are "friendly reminders" but many do indicate a change in procedure while others establish procedure.

Speaking of which, there is a Mazda service bulletin specifically addressing the fact that M-V (and presumably M-III) are not to be replaced by Mercon V and that M-V has a higher viscosity and a greater anti-judder spec than Mercon V. For reference, Mercon V specs a minimum of 6.0 cst @ 100C and I believe Dexron VI is 6.0-6.5. I'm wondering where I can find the viscosity spec for the Mazda fluids.

Last edited:
For Reference:

Fluid: Visc @ 40C, Visc @ 100C

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle: 36.6, 8
Castrol High Mileage: Same
Castrol Dexron VI: 29.8, 6
Castrol Dex/Merc: 38.1, 7.9
Castrol Mercon V: 35, 7.4
Redline D4: 34, 7.5
Redline D6: 30.7, 6.4
Redline High-Temp: 53.9, 10
Redline Synthetic ATF (Dex II): 32.5, 7.2
Mobil Multi-Vehicle: 34.1, 7.42
Mobil 1 ATF: 36.3, 7.4
Mobil Dexron VI: 29.5, 5.83

M-III is supposed to be equivalent to Dexron II, no? Perhaps Redline's "Synthetic ATF" would be a good guideline in terms of matching viscosities.

I have a 2006 Mazda3 2.3, 5-speed ATX. It has had, Valvoline Mercon V in it for about 10k, then Royal Purple Max ATF for another 10-15K, and currently has Castrol Import Multi Vehicle in it for the last 28k miles. All fluids worked great, with the Castrol IMV providing the best overall feel...................The tranny will be fine on any Mercon V equivalent fluid..................PERIOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back