Am I asking to much of my mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back and thanks for the replys everyone! The grass was not wet and is truly that dark green color and yes that is 1 week worth of growth! My Honda is a Mulcher and has twin blades on it. The cheep Murry is a 6.7 HP mower that is also a mulcher and it mows this lawn fine without stalling or leaving clumps.
I took the Honda to a local power equipment shop and they said they see alot of Hondas with this problem. The guy said it's the deck design and not the engine. He said Hondas decks are known to clog up and are designed poorly. They sell everything but mainly Toros and Hustlers. He could have been trying to sell me a Toro but he took me in the back and showed me all the Hondas and other brands that they are working on.

Also the transmission on my Honda just died Friday! $180 for the part!! Looks like it is now a 100% push mower.....what a POS it's turned out to be. I'm going to take it to the shooting range and hit it a few times with my AR and Glock.....LOL

I'm sorry but, yeah, your asking too much for any mower. It looks like your trying to cut thick, healthy grass, too short form the start. Not that the grass is too tall, but you have a nice lawn(thick/green). Looks very wet, at the bottom. The blades of grass look dry at thier tips but, the ground is still wet(look at your wheels). You need to cut your lawn in steps for now and then cut more often during the week and find that happy medium height for your lawn and equipment. Maybe Im wrong but, are your only cutting once per week? I cut mine twice a week and only once in a while, 3X

Our new young neighbors(young couple) just bought a new Craftsman Lawn Mower with everything(elec start, bagger/mulcher, self prop, 6 point something horse Briggs, like a million dollars). Kept stalling out. She called me over to take a look. They were trying to cut too much grass at one time. Not so much that the grass was tall, but the grass was thick and healthy, like yours Chris B. Then I mentioned to them that they might want to cut the lawn 2X per week rather than once/week, week 1/2. That's when I blew my chance for a cold beer!

Spend the money on an awesome mulching mower or use the mower that works the best and get rid of the other one. Lifes too short to put up with a tool that causes so much trouble.

Good looking grass you go there, for sure.

I don't think he's asking too much. I'd mow it in the evening to let the yard dry out some more.

My Toro would eat that grass up. I'm used to mowing Bahia, Bermuda, and St. Augustine.

I cut a 1.5 acre lot once a month with a Craftsman 6hp. The grass, weeds, brush will get almost to my knees before I cut it - and she has no problem. Sounds like the design of the mower itself and not exactly the motor

i had a 21" honda self-propped mower. It clogged very easily, even when bagging. It did not tolerate damp grass. The deck was too shallow, blade might have needed more lift on it. Had the dual blade, which meant twice the strikes as a single... I think there were some good ideas but inadequate design.

1. engine was a dream AFTER installing inline filter. EASY to start, easy on fuel, burned clean. (Hated mobile 1!!)

2. deck clogged always.

3. clutches wore quickly on the transmission, but didnt fail on me when i had it.

4. transmission ALWAYS super-stiff to pull mower backwards.

I have also observed that our borrowed L-head briggs on a plastic troybilt is outmulching the honda. I think that getting a single non-honda blade would have been a great try. lost the mower in divorce. sad. it'll never see fresh oil again.

M

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you would of offered to mow it for her you would have gotten that cold beer and a hug to boot.

Well, her hubby was there cutting the lawn(or trying). A hug might be too much to ask with wifey squinting one eye, arms folded and tappin her foot! I'd better stick with the beer.

I have a similar Honda and had the same problem. I later read in the owners manual that the front wheels of the mower need to be set one notch higher than rear when you are mulching. You set all 4 wheels level only while bagging and side discharging. It seems to help but tall grass still clumps - but not as much.

Originally Posted By: WItucker
I have a similar Honda and had the same problem. I later read in the owners manual that the front wheels of the mower need to be set one notch higher than rear when you are mulching. You set all 4 wheels level only while bagging and side discharging. It seems to help but tall grass still clumps - but not as much.

Is this true for all Honda mulchers? That could explain some things with my HR215 Masters' mulching ability. I don't recall seeing that in my manual but I should check again, I think.

Originally Posted By: WItucker

Ohhhh.......

Fescue is tough to much, as it holds a bunch of moisture. I have not been very impressed with Honda mulching mowers, if you are cutting more than an inch off, they clump.

I have a 3 year old Toro SR4 mower (model 20056) that is an excellent mulcher, provided you never go below 3" on grass height.

Having had a John Deere 14SB and a Honda HR215SX mower, the Toro cuts better than any of them. Although the Kawasaki and Honda GX engines are top notch. The OHC GC honda engines are ok (I have one on a pressure washer) for mulching, but the L head Briggs engines seem to have more torque.

I would personally cut your losses on the Honda and get any Toro SR4 model.

Get a Toro. I have an older (mid 90s) Toro Recycler with the 5.5hp OHV engine. It would eat that grass up and the pitch of the engine wouldn't even drop! It does a great job of mulching even with tall grass.

I sharpen the blade very often though like every 3rd mow in the spring when the grass is in full growth mode. It makes a big difference.

To OP: At this point I think you should treat yourself to a new mower!

Back around the turn of the Millenium, I worked for a power equipment dealer. We had Toro Personal Pace w/6.5HP (I think). We sold a lot of them and never saw them again (a good thing).

They are the best walk-behind mowers I have ever seen, with the old magnesium-deck 2-cycle Lawn Boy as a close second!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back