New Amsoil Synthetic 60wt Motorcycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says "new" on the website, but I am not sure how long it has been available.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcs.aspx

Any thoughts on this new oil? Possible/Likely base stocks? I am considering switching my Shovelhead over to this from 60wt Valvoline VR1. It looks promising and they definitely had old Harley engines in mind when they engineered this oil. (There is a picture of a Panhead on the bottle.)

How would this oil be any different from Amsoil Racing 60wt. oil?

Is there REALLY a need for TWO straight 60-weight oils?

Seems like a waste of engineering to me!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
How would this oil be any different from Amsoil Racing 60wt. oil?

This was one of my thoughts. They make it appear to be different, though. They point out specifics such as wet clutch compatibility and special rust prevention additives that may not be the case with the racing oil.

All marketing, it made the Amsoil motorcycle oil sales boom when they labeled it Motorcycle Oil. ie small engine oil, Scooter oil, ATV oil, marine, etc.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
All marketing, it made the Amsoil motorcycle oil sales boom when they labeled it Motorcycle Oil. ie small engine oil, Scooter oil, ATV oil, marine, etc.

I see. So, can you direct me to your proof so that I can see it for myself?

If I had to guess, it is the same oil with a different label to market to the HD guys with panheads and shovelheads. I could be wrong, but they did it with their first 10W-40 and 20w-50 bike oils, and that label swap was enough to get more bikers to use their oil... it sorta jump-started their bike oil sales about 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If I had to guess, it is the same oil with a different label to market to the HD guys with panheads and shovelheads. I could be wrong, but they did it with their first 10W-40 and 20w-50 bike oils, and that label swap was enough to get more bikers to use their oil... it sorta jump-started their bike oil sales about 10 years ago.

The 20w-50 is not the same as the MCV Motorcycle 20w-50 and never has been.

So what difference would you see in 50,000 miles of use, between the two?.They both have the sg rating which is what Harley recommends, both say they are for use in air cooled motors, both say they are for use in transmissions and chaincases.Plus both say they can do extended oci's. The main difference I can see is the regular oil is priced at $9.25 per qt, and the motorcycle oil is $10.90 per qt.,,

Originally Posted By: o2man98

The 20w-50 is not the same as the MCV Motorcycle 20w-50 and never has been.

Yes but the 20W-50 was the same as AMV, the precurser to MCV (which is quite different). Price was the same, too. Only difference was the labels.

Big Cahuna, not sure what price difference you saw. They both list the same retail price on the website.

It's amazing what a picture of a motorcycle engine on a oil bottle label will do to get people to bite!

Put the picture on the bottle, jack up the price by a buck and see easy profits with no value added to the product.

Marketing at it's finest.

A bunch of talk here, but no one actually has proven the two oils are the same. You know why?

Because they can't - the oils are different. It's so simple - look at the specifications. Amazing.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
So,If they're both recommended for use in Harley's in the motor, primary, and transmissions and for extended oci's, beside the price what can YOU prove is different?.,,

As I have been saying over and over, just look at the published specifications. All the viscosity numbers are different to start with.

Slightly ,and they don' t publish ALL the same numbers in the listings. Why's that? Could that be because if everyone could compare them side by side, they would see that the 20/50 wt oils are just about the same? With slight variations in viscosity's like the ones that will occur between batches. So to point out subtle differences between the two doesn't mean alot. Kinda like mobil1 15/50 and their 20/50 motorcycle oils. Use either one and your uoa will come back so close the people that make them couldn't tell the difference.Price is the big difference. Apparently the oil company's know what the upper limit car owners will pay for oil, and realize bike owners have more of a bond or connection to their bikes, and are willing to part with more cash. As long as there's a bike on the bottle, and they assure them a longer engine life by using their more expensive oil over the cheap stuff everyone's happy, right?.,,

Because they are different oils for different purposes. Why do you keep bringing up 20W-50? Thread is SAE 60.

You sound like have already convinced yourself the oils are the same. Some people believe all sorts of things. Doesn't make it the truth.

The oils are different. Period.

Why did you jump in the discussion the about 20/50 wt oils being the same? And no your website convinced me they are the same, so are they wrong? Both pages say it good for Harley's motor, trans, and primary.And Extended drains.The 60 wt doesn't say to use it in the primary.At the bottom of the page it list the typical properties. Both 20/50s are neck and neck. the 60 wt even has a lower pour point?.The big difference that can be seen by anyone is the bottle and the price. Perioud.,,

Pablo:

For the benefit of the group, would you please list the properties of each oil (20W50 & 60) side by side in order to show us where the differences are?

I think that would resolve this debate rather easily.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Pablo:

For the benefit of the group, would you please list the properties of each oil (20W50 & 60) side by side in order to show us where the differences are?

I think that would resolve this debate rather easily.

I didn't bring up the 20W-50, and I don't see the relevance in this discussion
21.gif

Anywho
04.gif
- thanks for asking civilly.

Amsoil has two different SAE 60's MSC (MC) and AHR (Racing). I was going to get some further info, but I was a bit late today. I will fill in the blanks Monday evening or so.

Code:

Property MSC AHR

KV@100°C 23.4 24.1

KV@40°C 190 214.1

VI 151 140

PP -29°F -33°F

Flash 468°F 467°

Volatility 3.6 5

HT/HS 6.8 ?

TBN ? 11

Clearly the oils use a different base oil mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back