MMO and ATF treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: otis24
Does the 1qt MMO to 2qt ATF treatment work o.k. on a fuel injected vehicle?
My vehicle runs rough. About a week ago, there was a trail of soot behind where I had parked. I just purchased the vehicle. It was a one-owner 1998 GMC Jimmy (4.3 V6) with 114k miles. I am currently doing an Auto-Rx treatment. The vehicle has never been tuned (it will get new plugs, wires, rotor and cap this weekend).
I wanted to do the MMO/ATF to make sure the top end is thoroughly cleaned.

The mmo is a good idea,but not the plus 2qts. of trans fluid. Personally,I would go on e-bay,and purchase some B&G power enhancer (fuel injection cleaner) and put that in your tank. This is a profesional cleaner,and works very well.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
To clean the "top end" I would recommend seafoam/solvent/water through the intake vacum, rather then sovent in the gas. If you suspect injector trouble, the solvent in the fuel may be your ticket. No OBD codes?

it seems that the 4.3 is a rich burning engine to begin with.

A dirty air clean will not make any engine built in the last 22-some years run rich. The job of the mass air flow sensor is to measure and compensate for things like this. A rich running engine is an indication that some component is not doing its job, maybe a lazy O2 sensor (after about 80,000 miles they start working slower and slower) or some other part about to fail totally.

ATF is a light hydraulic oil that contains additives that make it right for transmissions. These additives include dispersants (not detergents), and the dispersants are metallic salts which are abrasive when burned. ATF has no detergents because the transmission doesn't get gunked up with dirty blow-by gases from combustion.

I was toying with the idea and chickened out. I went with a full qt of MMO to a 20 gallon tank of gas. I already had a 320:1 mix in there. The idle seems smoother, I will put it on a 15 mile highway run tonight and see. I've been a big fan of MMO, and think it might help clean up some carbon build up in that strong a dose.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
"A little top end lube for today's alcohol mix fuels is a good idea. "

ATF ain't it.

MMO is good for that.

Then that is somewhere in the ballpark of what I am running. I took a nice highway run last night and noticed nothing out of the ordinary, maybe just a smoother idle. No lack in power, started up just fine in the 14*F weather.

Frank D

What was the result? Does it smoke the whole time?

And, I know you did 1 qt on a tank, but how did Gary come up with 1 qt MMO and 2 qts ATF in a 20 gal tank? (Maybe I should be asking him that if he's still around.)

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A little top end lube for today's alcohol mix fuels is a good idea.

definitely.

What do you guys recommend for this?

The only thing I've ever put in my gas tank, aside from top tier gasoline (Esso always), was two worthless fuel injector cleaners (Prestone and STP, spaced about 5,000 km apart and on different oil changes), and more recently Regane. The Regane, PEA controversy aside, is good stuff IMHO and I noticed results with it.

-Spyder

Along with what everyone else is saying, keep in mind too, that these 4.3L V6's experience bad valve seals/guides. Is this the trail of soot/smoke that otis24 is seeing? Maybe Im not understanding the OP's simptoms completly. Just trying to help!

Did I expire or something?
lol.gif
It was 2 & 2, iirc.

If you follow the whole thing .. it was all to show WHAT DID NOT OCCUR. The whole thing was done because ....hmmmm.. let me say it this way.

We have two classes of rigid geezer here. Those who fall into the "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" ..and those who subscribe to the "My daddy did it/always has been ..always will be" format for their life choices.

The "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!" types, for me anyway, kinda throw some gauntlet down since most times they speak out of fear and not out of experience and/or knowledge. To find out if their fears are just that, irrational fears, I've found the STOMP ON IT WITH BOTH FEET WHILE HOLDING TWO TONS OF BRICKS method the most productive.

Now, this is not without side effects. Once you silence the irrational fear mongers, those of the other persuasion have no check or balance in the environment ..and tend to run amok.
grin2.gif

All that could be determined is that using a time weighted average method (TWA - 200X the dose in 1/200th the time - fake number), that MMO in combination with ATF did not have any unfavorable impact on performance/drivability and had no apparent impact upon emissions integrity of a system at advanced age.

It did nothing to prove any benefit, though I think as a UCL it would serve that purpose in a fairly economical manner.

Gary, you rock - that MMO/ATF thread, and all it has inspired, is truely 'BITOG hall of fame' stuff!

Long may you live, our MMO/ATF hero!!!

:D

Oh, please ..you can put me in for Letterman's stupid people tricks
grin2.gif

I find myself in real trouble when I see a button marked "DO NOT PUSH". There needs to be a "why not" attached to it.

MMO. Recommended dose is 4/oz for 10 gallons. I settled at about 3 oz/10 gal for both of my cars. More than 4oz and I would loose MPGs, either 3 or 4oz was enough to gain about 1.5 mpg on the Isuzu and 1 mpg on Kia.
9 oz baby formula bottles give me 2 doses for Axiom (usually takes right about 15 gal of gas) and 3 for Spectra (normally refill with 10 gallons).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Did I expire or something?
lol.gif
It was 2 & 2, iirc.

If you follow the whole thing .. it was all to show WHAT DID NOT OCCUR. The whole thing was done because ....hmmmm.. let me say it this way.

We have two classes of rigid geezer here. Those who fall into the "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" ..and those who subscribe to the "My daddy did it/always has been ..always will be" format for their life choices.

The "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!" types, for me anyway, kinda throw some gauntlet down since most times they speak out of fear and not out of experience and/or knowledge. To find out if their fears are just that, irrational fears, I've found the STOMP ON IT WITH BOTH FEET WHILE HOLDING TWO TONS OF BRICKS method the most productive.

Now, this is not without side effects. Once you silence the irrational fear mongers, those of the other persuasion have no check or balance in the environment ..and tend to run amok.
grin2.gif

All that could be determined is that using a time weighted average method (TWA - 200X the dose in 1/200th the time - fake number), that MMO in combination with ATF did not have any unfavorable impact on performance/drivability and had no apparent impact upon emissions integrity of a system at advanced age.

It did nothing to prove any benefit, though I think as a UCL it would serve that purpose in a fairly economical manner.

Hey GA!

Extremely well said! I shall cut-n-paste this and re-post it whenever possible just to prove a point (my point that is).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
MMO. Recommended dose is 4/oz for 10 gallons. I settled at about 3 oz/10 gal for both of my cars. More than 4oz and I would loose MPGs, either 3 or 4oz was enough to gain about 1.5 mpg on the Isuzu and 1 mpg on Kia.
9 oz baby formula bottles give me 2 doses for Axiom (usually takes right about 15 gal of gas) and 3 for Spectra (normally refill with 10 gallons).

Thanks. I plan to put it in my oil after my next change but never considered adding it to the gas. Its not economical, due to lack of availability locally, to add it to my gas tank for the slight mileage increase though.

-Spyder

TCW oil works as an UCL also, but it does not have cleaning properties of MMO. IIRC TCW is added 2 oz to 10 gal. I do not use it myself so I am not sure about the dosage, you might want to search BITOG for the exact ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back