AEM/k&n has a new dryflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a dryflow filter for my intake and got one of the new red one's. I believe k&n now owns AEM and it appears they are replacing the grey dryflow w/ this new red one red dryflow. They are also on k&n's site if you look, dry k&n . I'm a little worried about if these filters are as efficient as the old grey dryflow? I've emailed them to see what the deal is w/ the new one and if they have any data on it's filtration.

I bought one, we'll see how it compares to the previous grey AEM cone filter and the Amsoil cone filter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
K&N does not own AEM. AEM has been using K&N filters for a long time though.

Really? I didn't know AEM used k&n filters, but I had read that k&n owned them and the new filter does seem to support it b/c it has both aem and k&n on the box and filter itself.

I got word back from AEM and they said the new red one's are identical in flow and filtration to the old grey one's, but that if I still wanted a grey one to check back at a later date. The grey one's part number ends in BF (brute force?) and the others end in DK. According to the email the screen mesh is there on the red one's to straighten airflow and strengthen the filter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
K&N does not own AEM. AEM has been using K&N filters for a long time though.

You are wrong on both statements, Dan. AEM induction was bought by K&N over a year ago, it's pretty well known across the industry. Also AEM Dryflow filters are not K&N Filters, the Dryflow is an AEM design. Years and years ago AEM used a K&N oiled filter, but it said K&N on it. AEM went to the Dryflow and never looked back. So now, technically, since K&N is the parent company of AEM Intakes, you could say it's a K&N filter, but K&N will stick with the oiled filters and AEM will be the Dryflow due to branding/marketing.

All I know is the AEM DRY FLOW WORKS!! Every UOA I have done with this Cone filter on my Evo has come back cleaner than a whistle. I was kinda worreid about the sacrifice of "flow" vs "filtration" but AEM did something right. I live in a VERY dusty climate as well. I just clean mine every 3 months.

One thing I DON'T like is how AEM switched from their cleaning kit which was two bottles of a clear solution you put in a bucket and dipped your filter in, to a new K&N spray bottle cleaning system. That is just lame AEM the other method is WAY easier and IMO a better way to clean these filters. I am trying to find some old cleaning kits on the shelves somewhere and stock up. If not, I will just use a different type of cleaner. Why mess with a good thing? Must be a cost savings thing. Too Bad.

Great Filter though
smile.gif

My AEM Filter

AEM has long had two Dryflow filters. Their standard Dryflow filter is red-colored (and may be confused with a K&N for that reason). Their Brute Force Dryflow has grey-colored media and is virtually indestructible.

http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm

I have a Brute Force Dryflow filter that came as part of an induction kit for my Dodge Dakota. But I'm not using the filter on the Dakota right now; I have it on my Acura MDX. That engine really honks with that filter on there, and the VTEC kick is a real shove. But I digress.

In my opinion, AEM's Dryflow technology has completely obsoleted the oiled cotton-gauze filter.

Quote:
One thing I DON'T like is how AEM switched from their cleaning kit which was two bottles of a clear solution you put in a bucket and dipped your filter in, to a new K&N spray bottle cleaning system. That is just lame AEM the other method is WAY easier and IMO a better way to clean these filters. I am trying to find some old cleaning kits on the shelves somewhere and stock up.

I have two unopened bottles that I have no use for. PM me if you want them for the price of shipping only. I have no idea how much that would be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back