Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Last we knew for sure, anything that said "regane" had PEA in it. Gumout has other fuel system/injector cleaners that don't carry the regane name.

OK, so anything that says "Regane", that's a good start.

Does the "2X concentrated" or "normal" make a difference in the formulation? Are they truly the same product just "2X concentrated" so you mix less additive in with the same amount of gas? If so, I can't imagine why Gumout goes to the expense of having the two different product lines - pick one.

The only one I used was Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner. It was the yellow stuff in the 2x bottle. I`d never used any of these before, aside from 2 different fuel injector cleaners that did nothing (one by STP, one by Prestone). Concluded that fuel inhjector cleaners were either snake oil or just too diluted to do anything useful.

Regane definitely worked. Acceleration and throttle response improved markedly well before I was even half way through the treated tank. I can`t vouch for the mileage benefits yet as its too soon still to tell. Although any gains there were secondary for me.

I will continue to use it. Either once or twice a year as part of my routine maintenance schedule. And I`d recommend it, with the usual caveat that ymmv.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was mistaken about Regane fixing the A/F sensor. The code came back after a week even though initially all tests were completed successfully as verified by my scanner. The gas mileage has dropped substantially and all indications are that I will have to buy new A/F sensor. I still dumped another bottle of Regane in the tank hoping against hope that it will magically fix my A/F sensor!

- Vikas

Nothing will fix the sensor other than replacing it. Mine went out two weeks ago...all is good now.

REGANE is a great cleaner/conditioner, but it is not a mechanic in a bottle. I use a bottle at every oil change and have been doing that for the past 15 years.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
What's FP?

FP?
Quote:
FP 60 is the original blend utilizing a petroleum base. The chemistry of FP 60 was recently updated with a renewable base (soy) and additional upper cylinder protection.

-->http://www.lcdinc.com/products_fuel_power.php

soy? SOY?
No thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Augustus

soy? SOY?
No thanks.

Same as RLI, I believe, which is well respected around here.

FP Plus is working just fine - soy or not.

Last edited:
Similar to RLI. RLI also has a fuel system cleaner product that works very very well and it's Canola based like the RLI oil is.

I have used RLI's fuel system cleaner and FP-60 with great results.

The 5w20 did amazing in my engine (see UOA section) even though I had fuel dilution issues going on.

I was at Walmart, and they had three varieties of Gumout fuel system cleaners, plus one fuel injector cleaner.

What are the differences? All three says it contains amines.

6 oz Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner 2x, upto 21 gallons

6 oz Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner 2x for High Mileage Vehicles, up to 21 gallons (label says for over 75,000 miles)

10 oz All-in-one Complete Fuel System Cleaner 2x, up to 35 gallons (Doesn't say "Regane," but the label says it contains amines, and in addition to the Regane stuff, this says it removes rust & corrosion)

Which is the most powerful cleaner, and what is a good dosage? I read somewhere where a Mercedes technician heard valve carbon, and suggested to the owner to put 2 bottles of Techron Concentrate (each for 12 gallons) in 1/4 tank of gas (5 gallons). That would make it about 5x stronger than the labeled dosage.

Could I put 2 bottles of the 2x Regane in 5 gallons of gas?

Also, do you change your fuel filter before doing this?

jsap,

I heard of that too somewhere..... magazine article perhaps. Personally I tried a bog bottle of Regain in my 01' Dodge Durango V-8 and didn't notice a difference cuz according to the bottle/instructions one bottle wil treat 25 gallons of gas which is what my truck/SUV has.

I think you can get away using one big bottle every service as all you need is to be consistant. I can't tell you what might happen is you over dose your tank of gas. It's OK to raise the PEA level up to a certain extent but what the engine and computer would do is uncertain to me.

Once of the things I also read was the amount of dwell time/soaking of the chemical on top of the pistons and such. Don't necessarly drive and burn the entire tank of gas with the additive. It's just as important to allow the chemical to soak too. It's a part of the cleansing process.

Durango

I generally stick with the Regane High Mileage. It is under $5 at Walmart.

When I want to experiment, I put the cleaner in the gas tank of my lawn mower when it runs out of gas. That way I can give as strong of dose as I can. I don't recall having any trouble starting or running the lawn mower even with insanely strong concentration of the cleaner. My idea was that if the cleaner becomes too strong even to run the mower, I could always add gas the and dilute it immediately.

- Vikas

i'm trying the Regane complete fuel system cleaner and the car is running very smooth, and seems to have a little more low rpm response. i guess something was dirty or there's octane booster in it. i can't find a pdf or ingredients, i assume PEA but have no idea. this is good stuff. put a bottle in about 11 gal 3/4 tank

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]i'm trying the Regane complete fuel system cleaner and the car is running very smooth, and seems to have a little more low rpm response. i guess something was dirty or there's octane booster in it. i can't find a pdf or ingredients, i assume PEA but have no idea. this is good stuff. put a bottle in about 11 gal 3/4 tank

My usage and experience were similar. Also eliminated lifter ticking I had had. I'm at least 1,000 km post-treatment and the results are still there, so I don't think its the results of an octane boost (treated tank long since emptied). I simply think the combustion chamber was dirty and the PEA in the regane cleaned it out.

-Spyder

You fixed lifter tick with a fuel additive?
21.gif
How much of your fuel gets up to the lifters?

Maybe you had a ticking injector instead.

Last edited:
Craig - If the lifter was ticking due to a gunked up valve not seating right or something along those lines, a fuel additive may have cleaned the valve and eliminated the tick.

Well in my Ford F150 that has a "21 gallon" gas tank but really holds closer to 24 (if you drive a while with the gas light on).

Right now I have 3 oz. of TWC3 Pennzoil Syntetic Long Life Marine 2 cycle oil, 1 oz. of LC20, a small bottle of Gumout high mileage fuel system cleaner with Regane, and a bottle of Schaeffers Nutrea.

I'm trying to treat what is either Lifter tick or an injector that is on the passenger side.

The engine is pretty darn clean from what I can see with a flashlight through the oil fill hole, and was given to me by my Father In Law last year.
I also have a Quart of MMO in the crankcase, already have 5,000 miles on the Quaker State Synthetic in 10w30 in it. F

Figured that it and some MMO would clean it out better and perhaps help that ticking.

One way or another I will clean it up. I'm thinking about doing 2-3 tanks full of Regane, then change out the Fuel Filter and continue if I havn't seen any change.

maybe additive clash, you could try 1 bottle of the complete fuel sys cleaner in half tank, or two bottles and run it down. i'm almost done w/ mine and will fill up w/ shell v-power 93 as usual and see

i also change my oil too often and from what i can see down the fill hole it looks spotless, little to no varnish either. car just seems to have more instant power. also been using 1oz/10 gal FP+ but will lay off for next tank

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Craig - If the lifter was ticking due to a gunked up valve not seating right or something along those lines, a fuel additive may have cleaned the valve and eliminated the tick.

Sounds about right. It didn't disappear right away. After the initial dosing of the full bottle into 13 gallons, I did two 150 km highway round trips the same day. I noticed during the second trip that the ticking just stopped. The next day it was there for about half a minute, then gone by the time the engine was warm. Then it went away completely. 2,000+ km after that one Regane treatment, its never returned. That was the only variable that was changed at that time.

The engine has continued to smooth out and become quieter, although I'm attributing that to replacing a gummed up PCV valve, and maybe the oil mixture I'm using now as well.

Tonight I tried adding some tcw3 2 cycle engine oil to the gas tank (first additive I've used since Regane), at the recommended 500:1 ratio. That immediately changed the engine harmonics again: I now have a high rpm deeper growl that's a little out of character for 1.8L 4 cylinder, but its not unpleasant (or ricer sounding). Definitely in a different category from the lifter tick that was present from the time I bought the car up until I used the Regane.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back