2005 CTS - Timing Chain and/or Tensioners Failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Common issue.Literary hundreds of updated chains/tensioners were on back order last year.Cadillac may fix under a goodwill.Start at the dealer and go from there.

Yeah our local Caddy dealer will be happy to change out the chains, guides, and tensioners for the goodwill price of $1,900....

Originally Posted By: CTS_Newb
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Common issue.Literary hundreds of updated chains/tensioners were on back order last year.Cadillac may fix under a goodwill.Start at the dealer and go from there.

Yeah our local Caddy dealer will be happy to change out the chains, guides, and tensioners for the goodwill price of $1,900....

Way too expensive! in Canada its 1900$ tax included.

Oh yeah, before doing any work, try to find parts before tearing up apart the engine! In Canada, as we speak, tensioners are on national back orders.

I wouldn't be paying the labour for them to pull it all apart again because you asked them to do it in the first place. Knowing dealers they probably raped you enough the first time anyways...
31.gif

Second I would cross into the US (if you can) and see if dealers there have them.

ONN: 2005, how many miles on it that it's failing already. Doesn't speak well for quality especially considering this is GM's "Premium brand".
frown.gif

cheers3.gif
Good Luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
StevieC, don't worry, I'm not paying for the labor and its written black on white on the service contract!

30 minutes ago, I called a friend in a cadillac dealership and he did an order with GM USA. He's suppose to have news about the parts within 48 hours. If he can't find the part, I'll call monday morning in VT and in NY myself.

My car has 144 000 miles.

Even at 144K miles the tensioner shouldn't have gone IMO.
31.gif
Way too early...

Glad to hear you are going to get the labour for free!
thumbsup2.gif

If there is a Buffalo dealership that has it I could pick it up (I live close to the border) and ship them to you UPS overnight if you want.

Cadillac has really come into it's own with it's newer vehicles. Great styling (subjective, I know) and super performance from it's new CTS models...but the reliability data isn't great over the last few years. GM needs to get a handle on these problems and bring the quality of these vehicles up to snuff (particularly considering the prices) if it wants a world-class marque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back