10W-40 for 2004 Ford Focus in Arizona summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by raising_arizona:
One last question: who would you recommend for oil testing?

I use Blackstone Labs, a BITOG site sponsor:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

You might also want to consider having Terry Dyson (also a site sponsor) analyze your oil, he really seems to know his stuff based on the many, many positive recommendations/comments from fellow BITOG members:
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

BTW,
welcome.gif
to BITOG!

The dealer using the longer filter probably was
just trying to get greater oil capacity to address the same hot driving conditions you are worried about. syn 5-20 or 5-30 or even MC blend 5-20 or Trop Artic blend 5-30 from WM ought to work for your hot weather.

My advice is don't use the 10W-40. 10W-40 motor oil is almost never recommended anymore for any vehicle, at least gasoline engine vehicles and especially small cars. Ford and Honda recommend 5W-20 oil in a lot of their new vehicles, not just small cars but even small trucks, SUVs, and vans. Most car manufacturers in the USA recommend 5W-30 or 5W-20 for new cars and trucks with gasoline engines.

A synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30 Mobil 1 motor oil would beat any 10W-40 conventional motor oil anyway. And provide better gasoline mileage as well.

I use M1 5w-20 and the Motorcraft 2005 filter in my girlfriend's 2004 ZX-5 with the 2.0L, no burnoff during the summer at 5K OCI. I don't know about the 2.3L, but I think you'll be fine running the 5w-20.

As a noob, I'd first off just like to say hi.
smile.gif
This forum was mentioned on FocusFanatics.com, so I though I'd check it out. Lots of great info here for sure.

I just picked up a 2004 Focus 2.3-L, 5-speed, with 24 000 miles. I'm looking forward to putting on some basic mods (e.g cold air induction, chip flash) in the future.

I noticed that the dealer installed an oil filter that was too long, so I changed the oil and put the proper filter on it. I went with Castrol Syntec 5W-20, as per the manual. I'm wondering if I should be using something like 5W-30 or 10W-40 for the summer months. This time of year, it's over 100°F (38°C) during the daytime, and the nighttime low is about 75°F (24°C). My driving is typically commuting, with some spirited street driving mixed in.

I did a search on the forum, and I really don't want to wake the thinner vs thicker debate, but I'm honestly confused.
confused.gif
freak2.gif

Should I be looking at a heavier weight for these summer desert conditions?

One last question: who would you recommend for oil testing?

Thanks!

I think it's been fairly well concluded on this forum that 5W20 will work just fine, regardless of your ambient temperatures (unless you're towing, etc.).

I run 5W20 in my 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor which is still being used as a duty vehicle. It idles A LOT and I'd argue that we have it almost as hot here in Houston as you do in Arizona. The car runs great.

For analysis, most folks on here use Blackstone, but I'm sure there are others that are just as good or maybe better.

If you do a search on this site under 'Used Oil Analysis', you'll find a lot of 5W-20 UOA's on Fords running 5W-20. The general consensus (and evidence) seems to be that 5W-20 does great, no matter what the temperature or driving conditions.

5W-30 probably won't make any difference at all, but if you use 10W-40 you may be losing power and fuel economy, with no gain in engine life. Modern 5W-20's are very high quality oils, and I think Castrol Syntec may be one of the better ones. Sounds like you made a good choice.

I have a focus rental that is in the 100F alabama heat and humidity. After 10k miles, it hasnt even consumed 1/2 qt. The oil is a litle bit brown, but overall doesnt appear dirty or in bad condition.

5w-20 oils seems to do quite well. I would utilize the stabity of a syn oil as the compromise, if I was to make any.. I think youre on the right track with 5w20 syntec...

JMH

That long filter is an improvement, and I can't see why you would intentionally put a smaller one in there.
Some version of 5-30 or 10-30 will be very good for your car, if you are leery of using a 5-20.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
That long filter is an improvement, and I can't see why you would intentionally put a smaller one in there.

The one they had in there was too long, which actually makes it the lowest point on the car in the front end. I checked the part numbers to verify this, and put the stock size back on. On the 2.3-L Duratec engine, the filter points at the ground. (I'm not sure about the 2.0 L)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll just stick with the Syntec 5W-20, and have an oil analysis done when it's time to change the oil.

Last question: what is the recommended change interval for this synthetic? I'm used to 3000 miles with the dino oil. Is that interval a waste of money with the synthetic?

Yes, unless you do a lot of urban crawl. If most of your driving is highway, even conventional motor oil would be good to go for 5,000 mile intervals. With a Group III base stock such as used in U.S. Syntec oils, you could push that to 7,500 miles, but if you wanna go farther than that between changes, you'd be smart to consider a Group IV/Group V based motor oil such as Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
5w-20 oils seems to do quite well. I would utilize the stabity of a syn oil as the compromise, if I was to make any.. I think youre on the right track with 5w20 syntec...

JMH

What he said x2^^^! If you are really worried about the heat, and feel the need to go hog wild on the overkill, Redline 5W-20 (if you can handle the $$$).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back