seafoam experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 1995 isuzu rodeo the 3.2 liter v6. Great little truck. Well as always changed out everything. Wires,plug,airfilter,fuel filter,all gear boxes(fluids),coolant,transmission,wipers,oil change valve cover gaskets,intake manifold gasket. Did a compression check good numbers. So decided to use seafoam threw a vaccum line. Well ran it about 2000 rpms and white then blue smoke starting coming out the tail pipe. Is this normail with seafoam? There was ALOT of smoke. And was stinky. Also It was sipping the seafoam wasent dumping the stuff in there. threw a redline sl in the gas tank if that means anything.

Yup sounds normal. Ideally with seafoam you run it though the vaccum line about 1/2 can while holding the throttle, shut it down, pour the rest in the tank, let it sit about 20 min, then start it up and blow all the smoke out.

Sorry for the double post wouldn't let me edit. Just curious. What about redline sl poured in a vacuum line?

What about techron or throttle body cleaner? Paint thinner and Seafoam will produce more smoke so people think it cleans something. Which it does. Just remember: smoke is a sign of poor burn, oxygen starvation, etc. In taxi here Seafoam is a religion.

The question is, did Seamfoam injection do any good to your engine? Do you feel it now runs better than before?

I have not heard people putting Techron and/or Redline SI through vacuum line. If you have come across any instances, let us know.

Water injection has been used and documented (google "chinese water torture miata"), so one could probably use Techron type chemicals.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The question is, did Seamfoam injection do any good to your engine? Do you feel it now runs better than before?

I have not heard people putting Techron and/or Redline SI through vacuum line. If you have come across any instances, let us know.

Water injection has been used and documented (google "chinese water torture miata"), so one could probably use Techron type chemicals.

- Vikas

I've been reading about water injection, I'm tempted to try it but not sure. Really cleans the engine that good?

i think the idea behind the water injection is that it quenches the carbon buildup thus cracking it much like what would happen if you touched a hot glass with a peice of ice, and then the carbon is shot out the tailpipe.

i have seafoamed a number of cars, all have run better afterwards.

Steam cleaning can be a powerful thing. I've decarbonized my Jeep once with careful use a garden hose set to mist. Pull the air hat, throttle it up a bit, spray water slowly or in bursts, keeping the rpms up. Do this for about 5 minutes, stop spraying, hold the rpms up for another 10 - 15 seconds to pull any water out of the intake manifold, and let it down to idle. It will probably idle a bit rough due to the much cooler combustion chambers. Take it for a drive, and run it hard for 5 - 10 minutes.

It'll blow a ton of steam out the exhaust while adding the water, but it certainly seemed to clean it up (got rid of a bit of pinging). Supposedly hot water works even better. Make sure the engine is fully warmed up first.

Well I tried to water injection then a seafoam treatment onn the familys toyota corolla car has a 170000 miles. And it does feel better a lot more power. We will see on the gas mileage soon.. boy did it stink when I did the water injection

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i think the idea behind the water injection is that it quenches the carbon buildup thus cracking it much like what would happen if you touched a hot glass with a peice of ice, and then the carbon is shot out the tailpipe.

No experience with water injection, but the way i understand it, the ballistic effects of water bouncing around in the combustion chamber is what knocks the carbon off.

Originally Posted By: hisilver

No experience with water injection, but the way i understand it, the ballistic effects of water bouncing around in the combustion chamber is what knocks the carbon off.

i would assume the water is atomized into a mist once it enters the intak manifold, thus it wouldnt have much ballistic effects since its such an even flow of it, but i could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: hisilver

i would assume the water is atomized into a mist once it enters the intak manifold, thus it wouldnt have much ballistic effects since its such an even flow of it, but i could be wrong.

You'll be surprised at how much water gets by the intake manifold once the initial hit of water cools it down....

i meant to say its probably broken up into a mist instead of solid droplets which would have more ballistic effect to it.

Getting back to Seafoam, I had an experience using it on Snowmobile exhaust power valves. The Seafoam wouldn't touch the carbon/exhaust gunk on the valves but plain out Gummout melted it fairly well. The Gummout didn't work fast or remove all the deposits easily but the Seafoam did almost nothing. Stopped me from buying it.......

Scientific method of using additive would be
1) Get data with no additive
2) Put additive and get data
3) Get data with no additive
4) Put additive and get data
5) Get data with no additive

For example, let us consider mmo/arx for oil. IF criteria is "oil got black", you need to use that multiple times until "oil no longer gets black". That will prove that mmo/arx was able to "clean" the gunk. Otherwise all you have proven is that mmo/arx has the ability to change the color of the oil which does not necessarily prove that it cleaned the engine. For all you know it has a hidden color dye which reacts with the oil to make it black :)

Similarly, if it is Seafoam, you would want to use it repeatedly until the Seafoam usage results in NO smokeshow. Otherwise, the smoke is nothing but burning off the Seafoam itself.

Unfortunately, very few people have the patience or inclination to do multiple dosage and verify the effectiveness additives.

- Vikas

Last edited:
World War 2 , some of the fighter planes had water injection systems on them, it gave them great acceleration when they needed it. Maybe we should add this to autos.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
World War 2 , some of the fighter planes had water injection systems on them, it gave them great acceleration when they needed it. Maybe we should add this to autos.

They have water injection kits for autos.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
Getting back to Seafoam, I had an experience using it on Snowmobile exhaust power valves. The Seafoam wouldn't touch the carbon/exhaust gunk on the valves but plain out Gummout melted it fairly well. The Gummout didn't work fast or remove all the deposits easily but the Seafoam did almost nothing. Stopped me from buying it.......

I had very good results with Gumout Complete Fuel System Ckeaner the first time I used it. And that was after having my expectations lowered from 2 different FI cleaners that did nothing but lighten my wallet. I`m running a 2nd treatment now, earlier and stronger than they recommend. Its good stuff.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back