New Snap-On 100-tooth Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newest 100-tooth ratchet from Snap-On. List price is $115 on Snap-On's website:

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/fhnf100_npa.pdf

I already own the 80-tooth model and it's pretty darn good. I wonder if they're going to discontinue the 80-tooth model since they now have the 100-tooth?

I have been in the market for a new 1/2" drive ratchet, so perhaps I'll pick-up a 100-tooth 1/2" drive once I can find one on eBay.

I have a 90-tooth Proto 3/8 drive, and I love it. It was one of the best $30 I ever spent at McMaster. It's not a flex-head, though.

The current model is $37, and the flex-head is $57. Is a 10% smaller swing angle on the Snap-On worth the double cost? If I used that tool on the job, I bet it would be.

I don't think these are dual cam like the 80 teeth ratchets.

I have a set of matco's 88t ratchets and i've beat them up pretty good, i have a 1/2 drive by 18 inch that i use like a breaker bar, takes the abuse. afaik matco 88t are single cam.

So i'm sure snappy's 100t are at least as strong as that.

looks good, i'll probably pick one up in 3/8 drive.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I wonder if they're going to discontinue the 80-tooth model since they now have the 100-tooth?

The 100 tooth is a round "bobble head" design. The 80 tooth is a pear shaped head and is a completely different design. The round head will not replace the T72, F80 and S80 series.

Wow, 100 tooth ratchet... who does Snap-on think they are, Gillette?

Dual locking pawls I can understand, but this seriously seems like the more-is-better phenomenon. I've never had a ratchet in an area I needed 3.6° swing, much less 5°. I've a few Snap-on tools in the box and while they are very nice, they haven't worked any better than my Craftsman, Matco, SK, Proto or Mac tools also in there.

Can't say I'd buy any at the astounding price premium they demand - there are plenty of other well made USA tools that work just as well for me. I don't buy tools so I can show off the name, I buy them to do a job and do it well.

I paid between 55-85 for each of my three Snap-On 80 tooth ratchets, new, on eBay. They have been fantastic ratchets and I would not use anything else.

The new 100 tooth ratchets are probably even better. The FHNF100 stickers for $110 so I'm sure it can be purchased on eBay for about 1/3 less. Yes, it is expensive, but the quality is unbeatable and the fine tooth action has made the job easier for me already.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Wow, 100 tooth ratchet... who does Snap-on think they are, Gillette?

Dual locking pawls I can understand, but this seriously seems like the more-is-better phenomenon. I've never had a ratchet in an area I needed 3.6° swing, much less 5°. I've a few Snap-on tools in the box and while they are very nice, they haven't worked any better than my Craftsman, Matco, SK, Proto or Mac tools also in there.

Can't say I'd buy any at the astounding price premium they demand - there are plenty of other well made USA tools that work just as well for me. I don't buy tools so I can show off the name, I buy them to do a job and do it well.

After having broken a few Mastercraft and Stanley ratchets, I'm pretty glad to be using a Snap-On one right now. And performing the same tasks.... I haven't broken it.

My 1/2" drive Snap-On is from 1951. Just getting the original guts changed out now. It's never failed me.

It's breaking the tool in the middle of the job that is the most frustrating. The Stanley broke in the middle of doing the sway-bar on my buddy's Mustang.

Those 100 tooth round head ratchets are not new, they have been out for a while now. Also they are not a replacement for the dual 80's. It is easier to have more teeth with a round head ratchet like that. But do expect snap on to come out with a new higher tooth count dual pawl ratchet to replace the dual 80s. Also expect them not to say made in the USA just like the current dual 80s do not say made in the usa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Those 100 tooth round head ratchets are not new, they have been out for a while now. Also they are not a replacement for the dual 80's. It is easier to have more teeth with a round head ratchet like that. But do expect snap on to come out with a new higher tooth count dual pawl ratchet to replace the dual 80s. Also expect them not to say made in the USA just like the current dual 80s do not say made in the usa.

Most of my Snap-On stuff says made in Canada. But then it's 60 years old.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
All the Dual 80 ratchets are made in Elizabethton, Tennessee, USA.

Ha! yeah I know but they don't say USA on the tool which drives some bat [censored] crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back