Problems with Pennzoil "air cooled" 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading some of you guy's recommendations I decided to try some of the Pennzoil "air cooled" 2 stroke oil.

I bought an 8 ounce bottle and a 3.2 oz bottle to use as a convenient measure for 1 gallon of gas. I opened both bottles and smelled each. The 8 oz bottle smells like Play-Dough. The 3.2 oz bottle smells like a harsh petrolem product (kinda stinky like old fashioned cheap 2 stroke oil or gear lube.)
Why do the two smell completely different? I also poured a little of each onto a paper towel and the small bottle is a dark green and the larger bottle is an anemic turquois color.
They appear to be two completely different products, but both say the same "air cooled" and " for trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, edgers (etc.)"
I'm very confused. Please help.
I'm looking for one oil to take care of all my small engine needs and this has shot holes in my confidence for using Pennzoil.

Last edited:
I wonder if you got some of that new bio-degradable garbage they are pushing for Marine use, so it dont make the fishies sick. Its real turquious greenish blue, looks like it belongs in a mix drink, then in your two stroke.The stuff I got in the big jug, small engine mix is dark green.

Please disregard the above pics...... i got those off the web and took a close look at the larger bottle and it is VERY slightly different.
Here is the actual picture of My bottles with a drop of each on copy paper to show the diffences in how the oil looks.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=23w7ckn&s=6

p.s. ...how do you edit a post?

Update...
I went and bought another 8 oz. bottle at a different store for comparison. This new bottle smells different still than the other 2 I first bought. Although the color is the same anemic turquois as the first 8 oz. i bought.
Can someone offer their opionion ?

Two completely different formulations. The Outdoor product is a more echo-friendly product they say. The stuff in the smaller bottle was the original product that the ultralight guys were so crazy about.

Upon hearing that, I promplty went to the garage and mixed the small bottle that DOES NOT say "outdoor" with a gallon of gas for my old dirty 2 stroke lawn equipment. I guess it would take about 76 million weedeaters like mine to equal one small dirty old sweatshop in China for pollution anyway.
Thanks much Johnny. This is my new oil of choice. Thanks for setting things straight. By the way, are you an ex petro engineer?

No sir, I was in the marketing department. I was the Distributor Marketing Manager for the State of Wisconsin for the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Upon hearing that, I promplty went to the garage and mixed the small bottle that DOES NOT say "outdoor" with a gallon of gas for my old dirty 2 stroke lawn equipment. I guess it would take about 76 million weedeaters like mine to equal one small dirty old sweatshop in China for pollution anyway.
Thanks much Johnny. This is my new oil of choice. Thanks for setting things straight. By the way, are you an ex petro engineer?
10.gif

My trimmers run very well on the Pennz. Multipurpose.
Target stores sell the MP locally for 3.49/qt.
I like the easy starting,good power and I think it is
safe to use at 50:1.the bottle says it can be used at 100:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back