when to replace struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Maxima with about 120k miles on it. It passes the bounce test, struts dont leak, and car rides ok. Is there any set time that the struts should be changed...

No, as long as someone who knows what they are doing evaluates them and says they are OK, they are OK.

I've had a couple of cars that had lousy damping from the day they were built and I've had a couple that were still good at 200k miles.

It depends on how good the dampers are and how and where the car is drive,

I'm sure that some will say you are due - but I just replaced struts on a friend's GP at 10 yrs 110k miles, and the news ones did not seem to provide any more resistance to movement than the old ones.

Some say every 50,000 mi etc. I wouldn't if they check out good and ride quality is good. Your lucky to have gotten that kind of mileage and use out of them IMHO.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I have a 2002 Maxima with about 120k miles on it. It passes the bounce test, struts dont leak, and car rides ok. Is there any set time that the struts should be changed...
Ride quality ok and it passes the bounce test, you are good to go!

I have 320K KM's (192K miles) on my Santa Fe on some really bad roads and it drives for 8-10 hours a day most of the time and they are in perfect order.

Originally Posted By: raaizin

I think Nissan used decent stuff (Tokico), because I have over 93k on mine and they still work well.

235,000 on my Sentra and they are like new...no bounce, jounce or leaks.

Not to pick on "Domestic" brands but I have rarely done shocks on "Imports" and have done a lot of "Domestics". Time seems to be the culprit not the mileage in most cases.

I find that "Imports" get weak over many years and "domestics" seem to leak a lot of the time leading to premature failure.

Just an observation, no one get out the canon.

Our '03 PathFinder started to develop some body roll at around 120,000. New Rear shocks didn't help, although it firmed it out a little.

But replacing the front struts did wonders. No body roll and she drives like a sports car now.

Depends on the Nissan. They used a under-performing shock for the Xterra's. 1st Gen Xterra shocks are known to be dead/shot at 20k. I took mine off at 32k and they were dead. No rebound on them.

I know you were, but someone stated that Nissan invested in quality shocks/struts. Just putting my 2 cents in.

Then for future references, please reply to the person or post you are responding to. Creates confusion when you respond to one person and speak of something someone else says.

Have them tested with a Hunter SA400 suspension analyzer. It will measure the suspension performance and determine if the struts need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How much longer do you plan to keep the car ????

It is our "third car" I plan to keep it till it becomes too expensive to maintain. I would think 5 more years. My last 2 cars had about 200k when they were retired

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How is the ride and handling?
We also own a 2007 A6 and a 2008 X3 and to be honest. I like the ride on the nissan the best. I had it checked out and mechanic said if I were keeping it longterm I should replace them. He really wasnt pushing just suggesting. I just have a hard time parting with 1k when this car rides better than my 2 newer cars, doesnt leak or bounce. Granted the A6 and X3 are on 18" wihile the nissan is on 17".

I do all my own main, but I really dont want to deal with compressed springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back