Any proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD oil is purchased cheap and sold expensive. That in itself is the main reason I don't buy any motorcycle brand name oil.

An air cooled lawn mower engines probably sees harsher operating conditions than most Harley engines. Running constantly at 3000 to 4000 rpm without the benefit of 30 to 60 mph air flow will put more demand on the oil than an engine with air flowing at high speed around it. There are other numerous applications of small overhead valve engines that see virtually no movement at all and have to work for hours upon hours non-stop (generators) that continue to work for years with nothing more than an oil change. Many of these engines outlast the machines they're attached to. Often these engines are serviced with basic off the shelf oil that most of us would frown upon.

So, the question is, why do people feel the need to worry whether their motorcycle engine is getting proper lubrication with any oil that doesn't have a motorcycle on the label? It's all a con job to separate the owner from his money. If one is happy doling out their cash indiscriminately and getting nothing for it, so be it.

For half the price of HD branded oil, excellent quality HDEOs are available and do as good a job if not better than most motorcycle brand oils.

Hows it mediocre if it performs it's task? How can you tell 15/40 or mobil 1, actually is better for the motor? Besides just being a different brand at a different price, other oils perform the same tasks oil is designed to do.You don't hear any testimonials about any oils making Harley motors last 250-300 k miles. So what makes them better beside whats on paper?.,,

Don't forget that Harley Davidson line their pockets from the premium price they charge for their oil. It's unlikely that they'd be recommending any other oil to promote engine life.

If the HD branded oil can provide the requirements for 250-300 k miles, it would appear that long engine life can be had pretty much with any oil of correct viscosity. Which pretty much supports my position that oils costing half the price will do the job just as well.

Last time I inquired Amsoil and mobil 1 are at the top end of the price scale. The local bike shop sells mobil 1 for almost $15 a qt. Talk about lining their pockets. And they don't give Amsoil away either. While both of those oils and alot of others will do the job,the question I originally asked was what is the requirements of the motor. It seems as tho the oil company's want to brag about high levels of this or that in their oil, but if your motor doesn't need or require that much what good does it do?.,,

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Actually, H-D oil, either variety, is mediocre oil...

There's some data to back this up....or just more mindless internet chatter?

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Don't forget that Harley Davidson line their pockets from the premium price they charge for their oil....

Unlike Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki of course!

You are basically correct. Most OEM branded oil isn't particularly great.
H-D oil is made by Citgo, IIRC, and the VOA and UOA from Harley engines/oils are there for the reading.
Compared to premium oils of various brands, they are mediocre.
The premium oils are priced near, if not lower, than the H-D oil.

That's why I never buy any OEM motor oil, gear oil, or coolant. There are other brands on the market that are significantly less expensive that do the same job or better. OEM fluids, IMHO, are sold to ease the minds of those who are afraid to research, and to increase the profit margins of the dealers and primary corporations.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Vesparado
Don't forget that Harley Davidson line their pockets from the premium price they charge for their oil....

Unlike Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki of course!

The discussion is about HD branded oil, hence the reference to same. As far as the other M/C branded oil, they're all the same. I don't buy any of it.

HDEO such as Rotella, Delvac and recenty Tech 2000 in 15W40 viscosity go into everything four cycle except cars and OPE. I also run it in my three cylinder Kubota diesel powered generator at the cottage. It's been running flawlessly for 28 years (6000) hours. It starts and runs like the day I bought it.

Why pay a premium for a name when better oil is available for considerably less money?

...Why pay a premium for a name when better oil is available for considerably less money?....

Well, let's see:

Because you can.

Because you choose to.

Because you can afford it.

Because you have a choice and you made it.

Because you like the looks of the bottle.

Because you like the sweet young thing at the OEM parts counter.

The list could go on. The point is that the marketplace will determine the fate of OEM-labeled oils, not some wannabe tribologist/economist whose delusions lead him to think he should "help" folks spend their own money wisely.

H-D oil is made by Citgo, IIRC, and the VOA and UOA from Harley engines/oils are there for the reading. Compared to premium oils of various brands, they are mediocre.
The premium oils are priced near, if not lower, than the H-D oil.

Where are these UOAs, that show HD's mediocrity? There are almost no UOAa on this site showing HD oil. The few that do look good. The wear metals are in line, and viscosity still in grade at or near 5k OCIs.

Quote:
It seems as tho the oil company's want to brag about high levels of this or that in their oil, but if your motor doesn't need or require that much what good does it do?.,,

BINGO! Why pay for something you dont need? Super duper this and super duper that dont give you anything if your engine dont need it. There are UOA's on other forums that prove cheaper dino oils do just as good as synthetics in a Harley.Not to mention here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back