Comparing grease product info

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been using Conoco Megaplex XD-3 on our farm but I see our supplier sells the XD-5 for only an extra 20 cents a tube. We use the XD-3 all over our farm in bucket pins, front end parts, all sorts of u-joints, bushings, etc. Besides the extra 2% moly in the XD-5, the two greases are rated nearly the same as they both have a penetration of 265-295 and a Timken four-ball EP of 400. The XD-5 has a Timken OK load of 60 instead of 55 with the XD-3. The XD-5 has a vis. index of 85 whereas the XD-3 is a 92. How do those numbers relate to each other and would you consider them to be 'good' ratings?

You will probably never know the difference between the viscosity index numbers in real world use. The values I would look at are the Timken OK load, wear scar, and weld load as relative to each other rather than an absolute number. Higher loads and lower scar diameters are good things. I assume you are using grade 2 grease and I would look at the temperature range. The XD3 is slightly better so in your part of the country operating in the winter might be easier with the XD3. But you might need a grade 1 in the winter.

For your use, the XD3 is probably just fine, especially if you only want one grease. I doubt the 2% extra moly will ever make a difference at your loads. Bucket pins are probably your most sever usage. If I were cost conscious it would not be worth the 20 cent a tube difference. A search for a better grease would lead you to a aluminum or calcium complex grease instead of a lithium complex thickener, but then they will cost more.

What else does your supplier offer?

The XD-5 also had a .5mm scar vs. a .6mm with the XD-3. Since some of our equipment is not greased as much as it should be I think I might switch to the XD-5 just for a little peace of mind. Like you say, it will probably only be a marginal difference but give it a shot at least. We get most of our grease, other shop products through Rowleys Wholesale. Too many greases to list them all but they sell Mystic, Pennzoil, Shell, Quaker State, Wolf's Head, Royal Purple. I'd kinda like to stick with a lithium base just so I don't have to worry about mixing greases that are not compatible and to keep costs lower, obviously.

Four-ball scare MM and Timken is what you look at,seek a Moly fortified grease in alum or calcium complex thickeners.
thumbsup2.gif

we use Schaeffer's #238 on all our stuff can't remember the last time we lost a bush or pin...

If you like the ConocoPhillips products, CP also makes a synthetic base oil lithium complex without moly called Triton. A synthetic may help if greasing regularly is a problem. The Triton XD5 with moly is a calcium complex thickner though so don't make the mistake I did and assume the same product name would be the same thickener.

Last edited:
Those all sound like some pretty good greases. I'll have to see which ones I can find and get a box of each to try them out. Thanks all for the advise.

I agree with daman. Schaeffer's is really hard to beat. I have used it and it outperformed all others. Another good bet would be TRC 880 CC which is a calcium based. But Schaeffer's can be had for less money.

Originally Posted By: RedOak
Another good bet would be TRC 880 CC which is a calcium based.

True, i would love to try a few tubes seems like a very good grease also..just harder to find.

You can call TRC at the Fort Worth Office and order direct or order through a sales rep they provide you. The TRC seemed to emulsify a bit with high water contamination. Then it seemed to loose a bit of protection from there. Granted this was a very wet application as the bearings were being soaked by water to help cool a thin kerf gang saw in a sawmill. The Schaeffer's really shined being a aluminum complex in not attracting water. Now in a dry dusty environment it is pretty much a toss up between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back