Rotella T5 Syntheric blend at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a large display of the Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 at Walmart tonight. A one gallon jug is $16.00.

There were 2 jugs of Shell Rotella T6 05W-40 on the automotive shelf priced at $19.00

Looks like a super deal for those who use Diesel or Turbo gasoline engines. The additive pack, from what I've read, seems to be quite robust.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The T5 is a synthetic blend Group II/and some PAO where the regular Rotella T 10W-30 it replaced was a straight Group II base stock oil. The additive package is also a little different than the older product.

I must have been on my vicodin when I posted this. T5 is a Group II and Group III blend. It does not have any PAO in it.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I'm VERY TEMPTED to give this a try in my 06 PSD. But, of course, its spec'd for a 15w-40 and I'm in south Louisiana.

I don't know....... I'm tempted.

I've been using the new Rotella T5 10w30 for the past 10,000 miles, and I live in TX. Runs smooth, and slightly better fuel economy! And its just $16/gallon, my kind of price!

Might want to broaden your look for the stuff or similar product. I get a Rotella T5 equivalent, using the same base stocks and add packs as Rotella, from a local oil supplier under their label for $9 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
Be cautious with Rotella T5 0W40. I found some today at the Canadian Tire store in Keswick, Ontario, which was only rated API CG. This may be a Canadian only blend but read the back of the label carefully.

Now that I think of it, I would second your concern. At the Partsource, it wasn't as dated as CG, but it wasn't the latest low emissions specs, either. Oddly enough, T6 met the latest specs and was a few dollars cheaper for the same size jug.

Can I use this oil in my Toyota Celica, or is it only for diesel vehicles? $16/gallon is quite a bargain for a good synthetic blend!

Originally Posted By: jagger
Can I use this oil in my Toyota Celica, or is it only for diesel vehicles? $16/gallon is quite a bargain for a good synthetic blend!

It's also SM-rated.

Hello,
Is this a low number? Perhaps I am confusing synthetics here but for HDEO's TBN 12-16 seem to be the range...
Regards,
Ali.

Originally Posted By: jagger

Use it with confidence. It's in my Chrysler 300 and the 3.5 loves it.

Originally Posted By: AnnabelleR
Hello,
Is this a low number? Perhaps I am confusing synthetics here but for HDEO's TBN 12-16 seem to be the range...
Regards,
Ali.
It was before CJ-4 and the use of 15 ppm sulfur diesel fuel (AKA ULSD)-now 10 TBN seems more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back