What is best thermostat brand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
When it comes to thermostats, I only use one from the dealer.

OEM is the best quality on this one, and they seem to last longer.

Same here! At least for Ford and GM that I've owned.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
After my experiences with the Neon, I'd vote for a Fail-Safe thermostat over any OEM that goes shut upon failure.
My OEM thermostat from the dealer is failsafe. I know because when the last one failed locked open. I was thankful because I have an all aluminum engine. I could imagine the cost to fix things if it overheated.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
After my experiences with the Neon, I'd vote for a Fail-Safe thermostat over any OEM that goes shut upon failure.
My OEM thermostat from the dealer is failsafe. I know because when the last one failed locked open. I was thankful because I have an all aluminum engine. I could imagine the cost to fix things if it overheated.
27.gif

Yup, I would imagine the vast majority of them are.

I bought a OEM 180* super stant, it ran a little hotter then I though, I support to be normal , but I want a little cooler, I went with duralast 160* ( I saw motorad by in germany Hehehe ). So I know it good quality. My car run alot cooler and drive alot power just like before. The one I pull out that been their for year is 160*, so I replace it with 160* and program with hypertech to make the fan turn on at 160*. Thanks for help every one.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Dealer part is best. Stant Superstats are usually good, regular Stants are not. Robert Shaw were good but hard to find and now made in china.

Robertshaw were BY FAR the best T-stat design ever. But yes, they're long gone and the design was bought by Mr. Gasket and manufacturing outsourced to China. They're pretty cheesily made now, but at least still have the nice "gate valve" mechanism that isn't affected by flow.

As for dealer parts- a few years after a given model year, the "OEM" parts sold at the dealer are made by the lowest bidder. There's absolutely NO guarantee that they're made by the real OEM.

The regular Stant works great in my Jeep as well. The previous t-stat looked identical to the Stant I put in yesterday, and I think it was original.

I replace it if it's not holding temp right, or is showing other issues. On my Jeep, being that it's in a tough spot, and I had stuff apart around it this weekend while I was doing the plenum gasket, I replaced it just in case, as it wasn't much extra work.

I would agree. I could change the one on my Audi every coolant change, since it's an easy job (at least with my small hands, others recommend yanking the power steering pump) and uses an O-ring instead of a gasket. Others are more difficult.

If it's cheap and easy, go for it every coolant change. If one has a temperature gauge, then keep an eye on that. I've been lucky. Every thermostat failure I've had (even on the non-failsafe types) have resulted in them sticking open, rather than closed.

I've only ever seen 1 t-stat fail (it was 22 years old) on a 454 marine engine. It stuck closed. Once the engine cooled and was refilled, it opened fine the next day. It was, of course, replaced ASAP.

Fortunately, my Jeep has temp and oil pressure gauges, and they're not dummy gauges, so they have no smoothing applied to the readings. The temp gauge actually shows the temp rising and falling 3-4* as the fan cycles in traffic, and the oil pressure gauge increases with RPM like the actual pressure.

Lifespan is effectively infinite for stock stats in GMC trucks. I have one running today with 400K miles on the original. Others with 250k.

I've seen many that start to act up around 5-7 year range. Usually what you see is they open too fast and the engine warms up slowly. It might even be unnoticable until it gets bad enough that the engine runs cold all the time in winter.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
OEM for my Subaru.

The difference in design between the Subaru and the Stant is amazing.

Same here. I made this comparison pic while doing mine a few years back with the genuine Subaru on the left and the stant on the right
thermostat1.jpg

Wow - that's crazy! I'll stick with OEM too.
I've never regretted doing that - to he!! with saving a few bucks!

it been few day, since I change the thermostat and completely forgot about this topic lol. See some pix above , that big different from some OEM to aftermarket thermostat. Im running 160 autozone duralast ( motorad brand made from germany ), im happy with this. Look quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back