Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't get the need for a $300-$400 helmet. I have a Bell full face helmet and I only paid like $140 for it. It's comfortable, well ventilated, and it meets or exceeds all of the safety requirements. Why pay 2 to 3 times more?

Originally Posted By: grampi
I guess I don't get the need for a $300-$400 helmet. I have a Bell full face helmet and I only paid like $140 for it. It's comfortable, well ventilated, and it meets or exceeds all of the safety requirements. Why pay 2 to 3 times more?

The 2 or 3 times more gets you removable foam liners that can stand washing, better visor systems (fog free, and or better attachment points), more personalized fit options,( different cheek pads for instance) and probably most important, wind noise reduction. There is a huge difference in noise between an entry level HJC, Bell, or Scorpion, and a higher priced Shoei or Arai. Your 4 times more (very soon) will get you an inflatable bladder in the top of the helmet that medical personell can pump up gently to push the helmet off the top of your head with less harm to you (neck, head, spine) than manual removal or cutting it off. Just an observation, but I see the noise makers wearing soup bowls, and the quietest bike riders wearing the most noise protective helmets. The choices some folks make boggle my mind.

Last edited:
Some helmet makers recommend replacing a helmet 7 years after manufacture or 5 years of service, whichever comes first. The Styrofoam lining that is critical to absorb shock deteriorates with time.

Great info about helmets including testing and description of the shapes on webBikeWorld
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

The new 2010 Snell helmet ratings are a big improvement over the previous 2005 ratings. Especially for smaller sizes the new Snell 2010 has more energy absorption required by the liner.

Look at page 2, Figure 2 in this link. It shows where impacts occurred on helmets as recorded by a study at the University of Hannover Medical School. This is all the discussion needed for full face helmets.
http://www.smf.org/articles/hic/Helmeted_MC_JTrauma.pdf

Modular/flip-up/system helmets can be good, but sometimes the chin guard flips itself up when impacted. The U.K. SHARP helmet ratings show how much each tested helmet exceeded the European minimum spec and show when the chin guard failed to stay down.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Originally Posted By: beanoil

The 2 or 3 times more gets you removable foam liners that can stand washing, better visor systems (fog free, and or better attachment points), more personalized fit options,( different cheek pads for instance) and probably most important, wind noise reduction. There is a huge difference in noise between an entry level HJC, Bell, or Scorpion, and a higher priced Shoei or Arai. Your 4 times more (very soon) will get you an inflatable bladder in the top of the helmet that medical personell can pump up gently to push the helmet off the top of your head with less harm to you (neck, head, spine) than manual removal or cutting
it off. Just an observation, but I see the noise makers wearing soup bowls, and the quietest bike riders wearing the most noise protective helmets. The choices some folks make boggle my mind.

+1 although i would argue that its not wind/sound reduction thats most important. I would argue that weight & fit is #1 Wind/sound being #2 and to the poster, Put a higher end quality helmet on, USE IT FOR AWHILE, then try and go back to cheaper helmets.. the proof is in the product.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: beanoil

The 2 or 3 times more gets you removable foam liners that can stand washing, better visor systems (fog free, and or better attachment points), more personalized fit options,( different cheek pads for instance) and probably most important, wind noise reduction. There is a huge difference in noise between an entry level HJC, Bell, or Scorpion, and a higher priced Shoei or Arai. Your 4 times more (very soon) will get you an inflatable bladder in the top of the helmet that medical personell can pump up gently to push the helmet off the top of your head with less harm to you (neck, head, spine) than manual removal or cutting
it off. Just an observation, but I see the noise makers wearing soup bowls, and the quietest bike riders wearing the most noise protective helmets. The choices some folks make boggle my mind.

+1 although i would argue that its not wind/sound reduction thats most important. I would argue that weight & fit is #1 Wind/sound being #2 and to the poster, Put a higher end quality helmet on, USE IT FOR AWHILE, then try and go back to cheaper helmets.. the proof is in the product.

Huh? What was that? Could you speak a little LOUDER?

I can't hear you as my hearing has been destroyed by all that horrible wind noise (and a couple too many rock concerts in the '70's)...

Cheers!

Going a little OT here, but on the topic of wind noise - anyone else wear earplugs when they ride? I always wear 'em, the little round foam plugs. They block out the wind noise and humming, allowing actual engine noises and stuff through much nicer. I find I arrive at my destination much less fatigued.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
on the topic of wind noise - anyone else wear earplugs when they ride? I always wear 'em, the little round foam plugs. They block out the wind noise and humming, allowing actual engine noises and stuff through much nicer. I find I arrive at my destination much less fatigued.

Absolutely, every time I ride. Makes for a much more focus auditory environment in the helmet and I'm much more refreshed when I arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back