If you think oil came from dinosaurs, think again

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 3,2010 NY Times, . article says vast ammount of the worlds oil arose not from dinosaurs but from tiny organisms at sea. The Sinclair oil company should have shown a microscopic one celled known as diatoms rather than giant replicas of dinosaurs with long necks and tails. 95%
34.gif
or more of global oil traces its source to the sea.I realize this info will cause some of you to miss work, and others not to do any chores this week,but you gotta keep it real, as my grandmother always said.

So in the movie Cars, the oil company Dinoco should have been called Fernco.

Yeah, the Sinclair logo always cracked me up.

So they used a dinosaur for a logo. Anyone out there actually believe theres a Bunney running around selling batteries, or a lizard or duck/goose selling insurance?

Called merchandising, and folks like it.

Also no one will forget what store has "WOW, Thats a Great Price" either.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Anyone out there actually believe theres a Bunney running around selling batteries, or a lizard or duck/goose selling insurance?

Hey, I saw it on TV so it must be real!

Where is Sinclair now?
I saw an ad of Sinclair on a 1954 National Geographic magazine.I do not remember seeing any Sinclair products on store shelves.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Where is Sinclair now?

They're still around. I've seen a couple of fairly modern Sinclair gas stations down in Missouri, complete with the big green brontosaurus logo on their sign. None of them around here though.

Thank you for the link, Samilcar.
I was surprised to see that they have a full synthetic 5W-30 oil.
I have never seen a Sinclair gas station in my life, never seen any Sinclair products ever.If I pass through Missouri one day I will buy something as a keepsake.

I stopped at a Sinclair station out west a few years ago. Stopped there on purpose because I had never seen a Sinclair station before. I wanted to buy a quart of their oil with the dinosaur on the label, but they didn't have the dinosaur on it anymore.

Huh!!

I never knew there was a Sinclair oil company. However, I do remember watching the show "Dinosaurs" when I was a kid, and the family's last name was Sinclair! I guess now I know where they chose the name. :)

I don't believe what I just read about oil not coming from dinosaurs. you got a link ottotheclown? or should I call you binky
grin2.gif

When I was a kid, Dad bought our gas & had the car serviced at the local Sinclair station. I liked dinosaurs, & really dug their sign! Over the years, Sinclair left & it became Arco; then Gulf; then Chevron; and now it's an independent.

So now we gotta say Diatom oil? Hmm...Dino- Diatom- Dino- Diatom. Nope, Dino wins!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think we knew that, but it's easier to say "dino" oil than "Heterotophic Protozoa" Oil
wink.gif

Hetero oil!

i heard a preacher say that the dinosaur that is shone to be so big didnt realy wasnt a real dinosaur. it was made up from bones of different dinosaurs.

I believe in the abiotic oil theory, personally. Come on, Dinosaurs? I never bought that, and have an equally hard time purchasing this new microbe theory mainly because they just conveniently accomodate the ridiculous "peak oil" theory. We've been running out of oil forever, haven't we? I bet dinosaurs and microbes make diamonds and magma too. With all the pressure and heat in the core of the earth, surely there can't be any elementary reactions occurring... all compounds of hydrogen and carbon MUST start with old lizards and single celled organisms- maybe with a dash of sasquach and Loch Ness monster thrown in, no question.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi
I believe in the abiotic oil theory, personally. Come on, Dinosaurs? I never bought that, and have an equally hard time purchasing this new microbe theory mainly because they just conveniently accomodate the ridiculous "peak oil" theory. We've been running out of oil forever, haven't we? I bet dinosaurs and microbes make diamonds and magma too. With all the pressure and heat in the core of the earth, surely there can't be any elementary reactions occurring... all compounds of hydrogen and carbon MUST start with old lizards and single celled organisms- maybe with a dash of sasquach and Loch Ness monster thrown in, no question.
lol.gif

Anybody who has done any sort of elemental chemistry will acknowledge that some oil has to be abiotic...that's the way chemistry works...what percentage is the true question.

Re your diamond statement...where does coal come from ?

There's a very clear passage from the vegetable through to coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back