Seafoam in the Crankcase - How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why MMO gets so much love. I've tried it in my two vehicles, both in the gas and oil, and have seen no meaningful results. I've also tried stuff like Chevron, STP, etc without anything meaningful as well.

I'd recommend using a hish quality synthetic so that it will slowly and not all at once remove all the junk. After two to three oil changes you should be fine. If not, and then try something more drastic like combining a synthetic oil with MMO, Seafoam, etc.

Originally Posted By: Capa
I don't understand why MMO gets so much love. I've tried it in my two vehicles, both in the gas and oil, and have seen no meaningful results. I've also tried stuff like Chevron, STP, etc without anything meaningful as well.

I'd recommend using a hish quality synthetic so that it will slowly and not all at once remove all the junk. After two to three oil changes you should be fine. If not, and then try something more drastic like combining a synthetic oil with MMO, Seafoam, etc.

The members who see no change in their vehicles probably had well maintained examples, congrats. You can still see it in a positive way that you have done your job. I know for a fact that heavy doses of MMO will make the oil drains thereafter seem to get darker at more miles, and the consumption is less. The engines i tried more drastic measures were not any 90k subjects. For the OP I would not be afraid to use the seafoam but at the same time HDEO changed very often will let that engine live a long life,and you're not buying anything seperate.

I visit junkyards a few times a month and there are plenty of 1980-90s volvos with really nasty engines that were in wrecks. I used to pull intercoolers and other misc stuff to use in other applications. They were going strong and just UGLY under the hood. You cant crash a car that doesn't run. Stay on top of that maintenance and that engine will have already seen the worst of it.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I do not have any experience with Seafoam since I have not used the product, but I have used Pennzoil Platinum and MMO.

Pennzoil Platinum claims to clean 46% of the Sludge on the 1st OCI, and Pennzoil Ultra claims to clean 36% more than Pennzoil Platinum, so 46% times 36% equals 62%, so if my math is correct then Pennzoil Ultra should clean 62% of the Sludge on the 1st OCI.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum and MMO now for about 10,000 miles, in about 7000 miles of using PP & MMO my Valvetrain was finally cleaned up, since I used both PP & MMO together it is hard to say which one did what.

I would probably give Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra a try for a few OCI's. I would expect that either oil would probably clean everything up inside the engine within about 10,000 miles or so.

This is encouraging to read for me, as its exactly how I`m planning to clean the sludge out of my Toyota. I`m going to stick with standard 3,000 mile oil changes, just to err on the side of more frequent than not frequent enough. I`m also going to send a sample of the first PP & MMO oil change off for a UOA, just to see what the lab comes back with.

This next oil change will be my first use of each product.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back