Question about 2009 Audi 2.0T and 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just purchased a 2009 Audi A4 with a 2.0T engine.

The initial oil change/service is scheduled for 5K mi.

Then the service interval goes to 10K. I'm all for the savings to the environment and wallet. I know the engineers in "Audi-land" know FAR MORE than I. But...

Doesn't it seem a little extreme? Especially for a diect injected Turbo-Motor?

Has anyone documented a 10K oci on this engine? Are there any recommendations? I have to assume dealer service oil has got to be Synthetic... or do I have to request it.

The layout of the filter, the lack of a dip stick etc, make the prospects of a oil change a little daunting. Any tips?

Thanks o' gurus of lube.

I did my GF's 08 Passat with the 2.0 turbo and it was very easy. Not sure if yours is set up like hers but it's a canister filter right near the front.

We got the M1 0w-40 5 quarts and a filter from AA for 29.99...far less that what a dealer charges. I'm not too worried about the 10k changes as M1 is a very good oil.

Originally Posted By: bigjohann
The layout of the filter, the lack of a dip stick etc, make the prospects of a oil change a little daunting. Any tips?

As the other poster mentioned, it should be a cartridge-type filter setup that's relatively easy to access. Is it not?

As for the lack of dipstick, I believe it can be purchased from the dealer. The dipstick tube should already be there.

Browse through the UOA section here - I believe we have a few reports of longer OCIs on this or similar engines. This may help you decide if you're comfortable with a 10k OCI or not.

Also, pay attention to possible valve deposits that plague most (if not all) VAG direct-injected engines...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1500501&fpart=1

Last edited:
Plus 1 on the M1 0w-40 european formula, available at pepboys, walmart, auto zone, advance atuo.. I have a BMW x5 and in my research this oil is made for our finicky verschtompen engines.

Actually I red somewhere that audi reccomends that oil.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of dip stick. just drain all the oil including the filter and put in axactly waht the manual says for you engine. You should be good to go.

Question: someday at around 150,000 mile that engine may start burning oil , how are you supposed to check to top off? Dumb A$$ Germans, BMW has done the same thing with their later models.

Last edited:
They probably have a 'low oil level' indicator light for when the engine is low on oil. you just dump in a quart when the light goes on, or something similar.....

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Question: someday at around 150,000 mile that engine may start burning oil , how are you supposed to check to top off? Dumb A$$ Germans,

Earlier A4 models had an electronic oil level meter (shows the level graphically in the instrument cluster at every engine start). I'm guessing the current crop of vehicles still has it, especially now that the physical dipstick is optional.

M1 0w40 or TDT 5w40 for 10k should work nicely. Makes sure to use quality gasoline in that direct injection turbo!

Not the same engine, but for the VW 2.0 FSI DI turbo motor, the 40+ used oil database we have indicates 5k is about the max most oils can go on that engine. The exception is Adeere's runs which are 99% highway and seem to look fine at 10k.

The FSI engine shears oils rapidly, has a turbo, has fuel dillution, and has intake deposit issues due to DI so ordinary synthetics are inadequate IMO. Syntec 5W40 and Mobil 1 0W40 show higher shear rates and some of the highest Iron content in the UOAs for that engine. That does not necessarily mean more wear because it is a small data set form many different users and UOAs can miss larger particle wear. German Castrol seems to be the most shear stable of the VW 502 oils in the database. Some of the non-502 oils which are more shear stable and have stronger additive packages seem to be fairing better. Also, your TSI engine may differ in how fast it shears oil.

If you must use a 502 oil, I would suggest the Motul X-lite 0W30 (look in the UOA section for a recent UOA on a Honda) because it is ester based and appears to have a very strong additive package (note that there are no UOAs for it yet on the FSI engine though that i know of). German Castrol is also a good choice.

If you are ok with using a non-vw 502 approved oil, you have many excellent choices including Amsoil, Redline, Renewable Lubricants Biosyn, M1 TDT, Rotella synthetic 5W40, and others.

It depends of the driving cycle. Is it 5000 2 miles tips or 10k in three months of hwy duty? Under the best conditions, 10k is not great. Get an oil extractor and change it yourself at 5k, dealer at 10k.

Biosyn.jpg

UOAdatabaseI.jpg

UOAdatabaseH.jpg

I think that this would be a 2.0TSI engine, not a 2.0T FSI. What does it say on your engine cover? If it is a TSI, there would be no cartridge filter. The TSI uses a standing oil filter module, accessible from the top. The filter should be changed FIRST, before the oil change. The action of removing the filter will cause a valve to open and the oil in the filter housing will drain into the crankcase.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter
If it is a TSI, there would be no cartridge filter. The TSI uses a standing oil filter module, accessible from the top.

You're right.

Oil%20Filter.jpg

The filter is at the top of the engine, under a cowling. I guess you just need to be really careful about drips. From the look of it, it looks like drips could get right on the belts.

I believe that it comes with a filter, not a cartridge.

With 3800 total miles, the oil level doesn't seemed to have decreased on the monitor... pretty impressive.

Has anyone ever seen an analysis of this engine's oil at 10K miles?

REPOST:

Has anyone ever seen an analysis of this engine's oil at 10K miles?
Specifically the TSFI 2.0 T in 2009 and later Audis? The FSI has known issues and supposedly SOME of them were updated in the TSFI.

Yes, there is a 3500 miles one from Finklejag in a 2010 GTI. Based on that, I dumped my TSI factory fill at 1000 miles, it had a LOT of metal glitter in it. I flushed it w/ HD oil for a day and went to some RP 15w-40 I had here. I suggest thicker high additive oils rather than the 5w-30 ESP low saps oils (VW 504).

Rotella 5w-40 has similar additive levels to Syntec 5w-40, both of which always work well. I'm going with M1 High Miles line long-term. I like to change for seasons and planning 3 changes a year (every 4 months) the M1 HM line is IDEAL for me. I may try to use up some stashed oils first, like GC and Edge 5w-30 in winter.

There is plenty of data on the Euro oils forum. Look for the 10k in Passat thread and the 2010 GTI UOA.

Let me know if I can help you further, even if to find those threads.

Def drain the FF oil early. Use Top-Tier fuels. I add some 2 cycle oil to my gas at 500:1 as well. You can try that if you like, kind of a popular fuel additive. The filter does not leak upon removal. I got a metal end cap to remove it, there is minimal room to grab it from the side.

I've looked through the links and I seem to only find 1 2.O TFSI engine with anything approaching 10K on the OCI. That one seemed to be OK.

Am I missing something? Or is the engine actually comfortable with a 10K interval?

bigjohann, how many miles do you currently have on your oil? maybe you can send in a sample for analysis. I guess this engine is too new for us to have UOAs yet...

Only way to tell if you can go 10k is to run it that far and get it analyzed. If it's under warranty, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations -- they're paying for the maintenance anyways, right?

FYI I change my S4's every 5k but that's because I race it and really drive the thing hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back