5w40 to 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout

FWIW the girl at AutoZone who poured my used oil (5w40) into the oil recycling container said it was between water and syrup for consistency. The used oil container had been in the car overnight also.

That is sort of an apples to oranges comparison because if you compared fresh 5w40 to used 5w40, you'll notice the same thing.

It's just soot loading which causes the viscosity increase with the miles packing on.

The M1 after 10,000 miles is going to thicken up also, from soot.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

FWIW the girl at AutoZone who poured my used oil (5w40) into the oil recycling container said it was between water and syrup for consistency. The used oil container had been in the car overnight also.

That is sort of an apples to oranges comparison because if you compared fresh 5w40 to used 5w40, you'll notice the same thing.

It's just soot loading which causes the viscosity increase with the miles packing on.

The M1 after 10,000 miles is going to thicken up also, from soot.

The ambient temp (and therefor the oil temp) was about 20*F.

This is the UOA from that used oil (same oil that was sampled on 9/23/09):

image2.png

I posted the UOA to show soot levels were low at 8K miles. I'm convinced the slight thickness of the older DEO was due to ambient temps and its relative thickness for a 5w40 (92.6 cP @ 40C and 15.3 cP @ 100C). Plug those into your favorite visco calculator and compare with some of today's thinner 5w40 HDEOs (except Mobil's which remain thick), Euro 5w40s (generally thinner), 0w40 and 5w30s.

Ur report makes me feel good about Mobile one, I use the 10/30 in my 2002 one ton Dodge ram van B3500, converted to haul freight and I can have as much as 2000 lbs in it plus the wgt of the van equalls 8000 lbs. I now have 203,000 miles on it and it still runs great. It does us a qt now at 6000 miles under a load and I usually run it 10,000 miles oci.

Just switched to Mobil 1 0w40 in my 98 VW TDI Beetle,

I had the same observations as Bob_Fout:

Changes Quote Bob_Fout:

"Much less lifter clatter (it's a different clatter than diesel combustion clatter) and faster engine warm-up (
"seems to warm up faster, have a bit more pep; Cold starting is much easier/smoother also.

Quicker engine warm-up (based on monitoring coolant temp) is interesting. You'd think it would draw off heat better than a 5w40, leaving less heat to transfer to the coolant. On the other hand, the water/oil heat exchanger function might be working better?"

End Quote Bob_Fout

After only 4K miles on M1 0w40, I had to put in 1/3 of a quart to top the oil off. I usually don't have to top-off until 6K to 7.5K miles. (with M1 5w40 or DEO 5w40)

Only another 1,000 miles until my 5,000 mile sample
20.gif

Just turned 5100 miles / 100 hours on the oil. Took a sample and will send it off to B-S soon.

Only another 1,000 miles until my 5,000 mile sample
20.gif

Just turned 5100 miles / 100 hours on the oil. Took a sample and will send it off to B-S soon.

Here's the 5100 mile / 100 hours sample results.

This sample period was December through May. Lots of 10 mile trips in 0F to 30F temps, going right from the parking spot to 70 MPH or 80 MPH Interstate driving, merging with gusto.

How did I end up with MORE additives than the virgin sample? (below) (FWIW the UOA additive levels are more in line with what Mobil says this oil has)

e13310-001.png

image1.png

How did I end up with MORE additives than the virgin sample? (below) (FWIW the UOA additive levels are more in line with what Mobil says this oil has)

Interesting. Maybe there was an error with the VoA.
21.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

10K mile UOA on M1 0w40 soon. Should send off tomorrow, results back early/mid next week.

I am convinced that Blackstone did a major recalibration throughout all their lab sometime in early Jan. or the first part of the year. For almost the whole of 2009 it seemed most of their analysis had been showing below normal levels, especially compared to other labs, some absurdly so. A few people here caught on to it and commented on it. Since about Jan. all analysis have been more back to 'normal' it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back