Rotella T6 5w40 - Compact tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Long time lurker, very long time, and thought I would sign up, and seek some advice from all the knowledgeable folks on here.

Own a MF 1635 (compact diesel) and wondered about using T-6 5W40 for the winter? Am running Castrol Hypuron 15W40 syn blend in it now, but will change out this fall.

Manual calls for 10W30, CC spec, which from what I understand was obsolete in 1961.

Tractor is under warranty November 2012, 5 years/2000 hours.

Could run Amsoil 10W30/30, but I really prefer something that is readily available, meaning I can buy it in a store.

Last edited:
Don't see any reason why it would not work.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

How cold does it get in Ontario?

Or more to the point what is the coldest temperature the engine and oil will be at on the coldest day you use it. If it is stored in a heated or some what heated area then it is not as big of a concern.

Here are some web sites to check out. http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

and for info on GC (German Castrol)
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73751

If you want the coldest cranking start ability M1 0W-40 would probably be a better choice. You can get it at some auto parts stores here in the USA, such as Pep-Boys. I do not know about availability in Canada.

Again the question is how cold will the coldest cold start be?

Last edited:
Yes, any of the oils you've mentioned so far will work ok. Personally, I'd prefer an HDEO that's rated for diesel engines- these oils will have the high TBN that you'll want with a diesel- particularly for an off-road application.

A cheap option would be Rotella 10W30. It isn't terribly common, but SOME Walmarts carry it. I'm sure that several local auto/truck supply places could order it for you.

If you have a John Deere dealership handy, they sell CI-rated 10W30 oil under the John Deere name. It'll be more expensive than Rotella, but cheaper than synthetic.

A more expensive but readily available option would be pretty much any any of the synthetic 5W40 HDEO's that are readily available at any automotive/truck place. Rotella, Delvac, Delo, and the like- they should work fine.

I'm sure that Amsoil, Schaeffers, or the like has some offering that would do the job just fine. Personally I'd prefer to find something cheaper and available locally... but that's just a matter of preference.

For that matter, any of the off-the-shelf 15W40 oils would work in a pinch. But considering that you're pretty far north AND your engine calls for a thinner oil, I would only consider a 15W40 during the summer (though a 5W40 should be fine year-round).

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
How cold does it get in Ontario?

Or more to the point what is the coldest temperature the engine and oil will be at on the coldest day you use it. If it is stored in a heated or some what heated area then it is not as big of a concern.

Here are some web sites to check out. http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

and for info on GC (German Castrol)
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73751

If you want the coldest cranking start ability M1 0W-40 would probably be a better choice. You can get it at some auto parts stores here in the USA, such as Pep-Boys. I do not know about availability in Canada.

Again the question is how cold will the coldest cold start be?

Hi,

The coldest start can be as cold as -40C/-40F. With the wind chill it can be colder. I will be changing the oil in the fall, so say October until April. I throw in a 15W40 for the summer, as it gets worked alot.

I would prefer something off the shelf, and for the synthetic. Our local Carquest has a German oil, can't remember if it is Castol or not. I will check, and get back with the name for you guys.

Most any truck stop or truck shop will have one or two brands of synthetic 5W40 HDEO.

I don't know if Castrol Syntec is rated for diesel engines (API CJ or CI), but I kinda doubt it.

For your cold-start needs, the Canadian oil companies - Shell Canada, Petro Canada and Imperial Oil (Esso) all produce excellent low-temperature oils for use in the far north. Esso products are branded XD-3, Shell as Rotella and Petro Can brands theirs as Duron.

All three have 0w-40, 5w-40, and 10w-30 diesel oils for both on-road and off-road use. I use Shell Rotella 10w-30 in the family mini-van for instance, just because it's cheap, easy to get and an excellent product.

If I were in your Ontario-based shoes, I'd find my local Esso or Petro-Canada truck stop and order in the exact viscosity you need. You can also get Shell diesel engine products from Canadian Tire, if there's one of those nearby.

Did some research today but NONE of the compaines mentioned above have a 10W30 Synthetic oil. I prefer to have free access, meaning off the shelf. Walmart has 'German' Castrol 0W30, as well as M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. Rotella T6 is fairly accessible.

The manual lists 10W30, or 10W, 20W, or 30W depending on temps.

So, would I be safer running a 0W30 like German Castrol, or go with a 5W40, like Rotella or M1?

Tractor is still under warranty, and I really prefer to run a full synthetic oil rather than a blend or a 'Dino' oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillB
Did some research today but NONE of the compaines mentioned above have a 10W30 Synthetic oil. I prefer to have free access, meaning off the shelf. Walmart has 'German' Castrol 0W30, as well as M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. Rotella T6 is fairly accessible.

The manual lists 10W30, or 10W, 20W, or 30W depending on temps.

So, would I be safer running a 0W30 like German Castrol, or go with a 5W40, like Rotella or M1?

Tractor is still under warranty, and I really prefer to run a full synthetic oil rather than a blend or a 'Dino' oil.

Sorry - missed your preference for synth. Then you'll need to select an Xw-40 oil. 10w-30 is going to be conventional, for sure.

What fuel are you running? Low sulfur diesel or regular off-road diesel? If it's not low-sulfur, then use a real diesel oil with a CI-4/CI-4+ rating. Automotive oils like GC and M1 0w-40 are light on the soot and acid control for use with high-sulfur off-road diesel fuel.

In any case, if you can get Rotella T6 5w-40 then use it and be happy. Walmart in Canada used to carry XD-3 0w-40, and that would have been perfect for your needs. It's been a while since I shopped at my local Walmart, but I think they dropped the XD-3 when they started carrying Mobil 1 TDT. TDT will work ok too.

Thanks. I am running Husky farm fuel, not sure if it is just tax free ULSD. Buy it at the local Husky truck stop. So, should I be running an oil like T6??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillB

Just checked the Husky site, and it is all ULSD.

So, T6 will work fine then? The tractor is new last fall.

I just checked it too, and yes, T6 will work great.

I run my compact Diesel John Deere 650 year around with Shell Rotella 5-40 (T-6 as of last spring). Previously used Mobil-Delvac One 5-40. Our ambient temps are often in mid 90F range in summer and winter may get below 0F on occasion. No problems, tractor kept in unheated building. I run off road fuel, but even when I get automotive type diesel, its OK. Tractor in regular service since 1978 and we work it pretty hard too. The heavy equipment on the strip coal mines around here also use 5-40 year around.

prs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back