Can lubegard red hurt the transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
any cases where this additive harmed the transmission? want to check up before recommending to a friend.

his car is a 2006 honda accord i4 with the k24 engine. it shifts fine but mentions the shifts can be jerky at times.

Honda automatics should be serviced frequently for maximum shift quality. I service the ones in my friends' cars frequently: about every 15,000 miles or annually.

Lubegard red is an additive, or a contaminant. It can alter the frictional properties of the fluid and the effects it has on the additive package has not been evaluated.

For a honda Id want to use their fluid only, follow Critic's advice.

For more robust ATs that are less finnicky, like GM ATs which thrive on dex, LG is a good way to extend fluid service life.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Honda automatics should be serviced frequently for maximum shift quality. I service the ones in my friends' cars frequently: about every 15,000 miles or annually.

Lubegard red is an additive, or a contaminant. It can alter the frictional properties of the fluid and the effects it has on the additive package has not been evaluated.

Do you seriously think they have not evaluated their product in Honda's? I have been using Lubegard Red in my 2005 Honda Element for 97,000 miles and the 2006 Element for 37,000 miles. Don't pour the whole bottle in, it only takes 1 oz to 1 quart so it only takes about 7.5 oz total.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Do you seriously think they have not evaluated their product in Honda's? I have been using Lubegard Red in my 2005 Honda Element for 97,000 miles and the 2006 Element for 37,000 miles. Don't pour the whole bottle in, it only takes 1 oz to 1 quart so it only takes about 7.5 oz total.

any changes in the way it shifts after pouring it in?
the accord and element have essentially the same transmission, just different gearing

Both of my Elements shift like they did the day they were new. Have had absolutely no issues with the transmissions on either of them.

so after pouring lubegard in, you noticed no difference?

Not since new. Still shift and function just like the day they rolled off the showroom floor. Would they have done it without the Lubegard red, maybe so, but after having the transmission problems we did with our Odyssey I was not going to take any chances with the Elements.

I have a friend who is an automotive mechanic. It went to a presentation where the Lubeguard company showed what they products could do. It was not a [censored] infomercial type presentation, but they showed actual performance and wear data. My friend was impressed. The shop where he works is now using the additives for certain difficult applications. I have been tempted to try it out in my 4L60E.

I have it in my MB and it has smoothed out the 3-2 and 2-1 downshifting. Next fluid change will be Dexron VI so I may wait to add it again after I see how things go with the new fluid.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have a friend who is an automotive mechanic. It went to a presentation where the Lubeguard company showed what they products could do. It was not a [censored] infomercial type presentation, but they showed actual performance and wear data. My friend was impressed. The shop where he works is now using the additives for certain difficult applications. I have been tempted to try it out in my 4L60E.

I used it in my '98 K1500 with the 4L60E. That truck was T-tech'd every 60k miles and had LG Red added each time. When I sold that truck with 180k miles, it still had the transmission working perfectly, with no signs whatsoever of problems. That truck never towed anything significant in its lifetime.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
How long do the properties last in the lubegard and is it any better than Smart Blend?

The Smart Blend product is very good, harder to find and more expensive than the Lubegard Red.

I've been using LG red for years in Fords and currently have close to 190,000 miles on a 3.0L Aerostar AT. Not impressive to many of you I'm sure, but I heard time and time again how lousy those transmissions were. So far so good. Can I prove the LG helped? No but it didn't hurt anything.

Johnny, at what mileage did you add the Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back