Changed spark plugs on Mazda 3, pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think so too. They remind me of some old RX7 plugs with long threads lol. They had a completely different side electrode though.

You should see the threads on a S60R/V70R. Tons of threads compared to the other turbo models. Its kinda funny, most listings for them are wrong.

Originally Posted By: tripleM
Did you gapped them any closer?
The 2004-2008 Mazda 3's manual recommended .050-.053.
I've read on the Mazda3 forums some ppl running them down to .042.

I just bought some NGK Laser Iridiums from the great AAP sale (OEM replacement according to their site) & am thinking about gapping them closer to the .045 range.

The new plugs came gapped at .051. I knew that was within Mazda spec so I left them. Why would you want to gap them out of spec?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Typical looking NGK's with the brown ring around the porcelain/shell area.

BTW, why is the paper towel underneath the one on the far left oily?

Not sure? It came out like that. That plug sits right next to the oil filler cap, which slowly seeps oil. I think some oil had seeped down into the spark plug galley and when I pulled that last one out, it got oil on it on the way out. There was no evidence of oil inside the cylinder, and it does not burn or use any measureable amount of oil over 7500+ OCI.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
They look great.

Those are NGK plugs with a FoMoCo stamp. They have the NGK # right on them.

That company really bothers me. You can tell they are such marketing moguls by how they go well out of their way to stamp FoMoCo on the little knick-knack parts they were responsible for in this deal, presumably in an effort to mislead people into thinking they engineered the engine (they didn't, not even partly). They know what theyre doing too, because most of North America thinks that the Fusion, Fiesta, Edge are somehow NOT as Mazda as the Ford Probe. That is just such corporate hubris, but evidently it works for them. How embarrassing it would be for the American golden child to have the public know their new found "reliability" and driving dynamic come from Japan; that just cannot happen.

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi
... How embarrassing it would be for the American golden child to have the public know their new found "reliability" and driving dynamic come from Japan; that just cannot happen.

Uh-oh . . . this will be the next one to head South.
33.gif

They look great.

That company really bothers me. You can tell they are such marketing moguls by how they go well out of their way to stamp FoMoCo on the little knick-knack parts they were responsible for in this deal, presumably in an effort to mislead people into thinking they engineered the engine (they didn't, not even partly). They know what theyre doing too, because most of North America thinks that the Fusion, Fiesta, Edge are somehow NOT as Mazda as the Ford Probe. That is just such corporate hubris, but evidently it works for them. How embarrassing it would be for the American golden child to have the public know their new found "reliability" and driving dynamic come from Japan; that just cannot happen.

Yeah, because of course the Modular engine, Panther platform, and entire F-series line-up came from Japan too right?

GET A CLUE MAN.

Ford's MOST reliable engine is the Modular. They are produced in Michigan and Ontario.

Ford's MOST reliable CAR has historically been the Panther platform: Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car. The two former being produced in Ontario, Canada, the latter in the USA.

Ford's perceived "driving dynamic" has historically revolved around the Mustang and it's characteristics. Which has about as much in common with Japan as the atomic bomb and the M1 Abrams.

Ford's most recent foray into the mid-sized car segment may indeed carry over some Mazda underpinnings as well as some Mazda engines. Given that they owned a controlling interest in Mazda up until recently, I don't really see an issue with that.

You Import Fanboys will do ANYTHING to spin a topic against domestic manufacturers. GM has been using NGK spark plugs for EONS with AC Delco branded right on the bloody things, but I don't see you taking issue with that!!

NGK is an OEM for more than just your Nippon Juggernaut overlords. Just as Bosch is an OEM for a heck of a lot more than just German auto makers. It is called a GLOBAL ECONOMY, and Ford has been sourcing parts from Bosch longer than I've been alive. And branding parts with Bosch part #'s as Motorcraft.

EVERY manufacturer does this. Ford is no more "guilty" of it than any other. And this process is CERTAINLY not exceptional to Ford. The only thing exceptional here is your absurd reaction.

No no, I don't want to start anything! It just is what it is. It being what it is shouldn't be grounds to argue.

But it is!

BTW, I'm not trying to come off as a complete [censored] in my post that proceeded this one (and I know I probably sounded like one). But this "wild theory" about some secret covert operation by Ford to masquerade NGK plugs under the FoMoCo moniker struck me as beyond bizarre.

And for somebody who appears to know a great deal about engines (from your other posts, it appears you do) then I would have expected you to have noticed this on parts from ALL manufacturers, regardless of American, Japanese or German origin.

Your statement "it is what it is" couldn't be more true. But what it "is", isn't what you are making it out to be.

They look great.

Ford's european "driving dynamic" was built around the C1 Focus and the EUCD Mondeo, both Ford chassis.

As OVERK1LL stated, Ford's best North American engine families are the Modular V8 and the Mondeo/Cyclone V6s. The Modular and Cyclone are 100% Ford designed and engineered, and Mazda uses the Cyclone architecture in their CX-9. The 4-bangers remain the weakest point in Ford's current power-train lineup.

Regarding quality, Ford consistently outscores Mazda by wide margins, and I know for a fact that the Mazda DISI Turbo failed Ford's internal durability standards. This is why Ford chose not to install that engine in any Ford branded vehicles and instead chose develop EcoBoost variations on their own.

Even the CD3 didn't cut the mustard as delivered, Ford heavily reworked and enlarged that chassis before putting their name on it. These changes were adopted by Mazda with the latest 6.

Ford owes little to Mazda, the reverse cannot be said.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They look great.

Yeah, because of course the Modular engine, Panther platform, and entire F-series line-up came from Japan too right?

GET A CLUE MAN.

Ford's MOST reliable engine is the Modular. They are produced in Michigan and Ontario.

Ford's MOST reliable CAR has historically been the Panther platform: Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car. The two former being produced in Ontario, Canada, the latter in the USA.

Ford's perceived "driving dynamic" has historically revolved around the Mustang and it's characteristics. Which has about as much in common with Japan as the atomic bomb and the M1 Abrams.

Ford's most recent foray into the mid-sized car segment may indeed carry over some Mazda underpinnings as well as some Mazda engines. Given that they owned a controlling interest in Mazda up until recently, I don't really see an issue with that.

You Import Fanboys will do ANYTHING to spin a topic against domestic manufacturers. GM has been using NGK spark plugs for EONS with AC Delco branded right on the bloody things, but I don't see you taking issue with that!!

NGK is an OEM for more than just your Nippon Juggernaut overlords. Just as Bosch is an OEM for a heck of a lot more than just German auto makers. It is called a GLOBAL ECONOMY, and Ford has been sourcing parts from Bosch longer than I've been alive. And branding parts with Bosch part #'s as Motorcraft.

EVERY manufacturer does this. Ford is no more "guilty" of it than any other. And this process is CERTAINLY not exceptional to Ford. The only thing exceptional here is your absurd reaction.

Whoa there -- did you stop taking your Zoloft without consulting your physician first????
wink.gif

Hey, I don't care if my spark plugs were made by penguins on the South pole -- so long as they work, I'll be happy. How did "import fan boys" make it into this thread?

Now since you took this thread as far as the A-bomb and the Abrams, I have to semi-rhetorically ask, who on earth associated the name "Panther" with the Crown Vic???? We have a very sweet, very old, very lumpy Calico cat at home named Cookie. She, and her many elderly kitty virtues, have vastly more in common with a Crown Vic than a panther ever will. Have I missed something?
wink.gif
I'm sorry -- I just couldn't resist. . .
wink.gif
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

And regarding the CD3, word has it that on the next generation Fusion/Edge, etc. will be moving to EUCD.

Regarding the 6, it was upsized because it was in an 'in-between' segment and couldn't compete with small cars like civic or corolla AND large cars like accord or camry. So they upsized it to put it in a segment so people could compare it to something. The 3 does just fine against the civic.

I agree on the DISI motor, good in theory but way too underdeveloped to release that early.

Originally Posted By: brandini
The 3 does just fine against the civic.

Indeed it does, of course it is built on the Ford C1 chassis.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back