First automatic transmission fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Nissan Versa with the 1.8L engine and Automatic transmission. It currently has 14k on the engine and I was wondering when I should first change the auto trans fluid?

What does the Service and Maintenance Guide say? If your Nissan is anything like mine, the guide probably outlines three schedules: Premium, Schedule 1, and Schedule 2. Replacing the automatic transmission/CVT fluid first appears in the Premium group at 30,000 miles. Now, whether you should do it that early or not is open to debate.

I too say how early is up to debate.

But I would insist on a thorough first fluid change. Drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan and magnet, and use the cooler line method for a complete fluid exchange. This will get rid of the break-in debris. You may use shortcuts for the next fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan and magnet, and use the cooler line method for a complete fluid exchange.

That may or may not apply to the Nissan Versa. I don't know the specifics of its transmission but, for example, the recommendation isn't applicable/appropriate for the Honda 5-speed automatic in my VUE. It doesn't have a pan, filter, etc. The manufacturer-recommended procedure is a simple 3x drain and fill. I'm not sure the OP is asking about the procedure they should use or whether they're simply asking about the interval that they perform the Nissan-recommended procedure.

I'd change your ATF any time between now and a few months from now. Getting the break-in debris out of there is good. Restoring the shifting to showroom quality will likely be the bigger reason to do it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back