Honda gx160 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a honda gx160 engine on a go kart and it randomly started leaking gas and has gas coming out the muffler. Any ideas what could be causing th problem and how to fix it.
Thanks,
David

It's just leaking out the exhaust? If so the float in the carb is leaking gas into the cylinder, not good because it will get into the oil. I would either fix the carb or put a fuel shut off in the line going to the carb. I have 2 engines that do this and that is the easy fix.

Although if the kids run it themselves they probably wont remember to shut it off.

I think its just exhaust went to crank it this morning and it wouldnt crank, then noticed the puddle of gas and the wet muffler. I'll clean the carb and see if that fixes the problem. Ill also change the oil to try and eliminate an other issues. But the karts are for an actual track so putting the fuel shut off on would be difficult having to constantly turn it on or off.
Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it works out
David

On my mower that does this it wont crank because if you have to much liquid in the cylinder it wont compress. Just have to remove the spark plug and crank a bit to clean the cylinder out.

On my mower that I forgot to shut it off I probably had 3 or 4 oz in a 48 oz sump, I needed to mow so I let it warm up to burn off some gas and when I was done mowing the oil went from originally being at the full mark to over the full mark because of the gas and when I was done mowing it was on the add line, I drained it at this point.

Anyone know if it hurts the oil once the gas has been burned off?

Air cooled aircraft engines can use fuel dilution to thin the oil in very cold weather. This makes starting possible in Alaska.

While, it's not "good" for the engine, it works well enough.

However, the aircraft engine oil is different from modern automotive oils (which are much thinner).

I'd guess the needle and seat are bad, possibly due to ethanol in the fuel. I'd replace them. Also consider a fuel shut off valve.

I'd also change the oil.

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the carb with another spare we had, however the engine still isnt running right have to run partially choked because with the choke off completely it stalls and sputters. Changed and drained the oil there was a lot of gas mixed in with the oil but has been replaced and changed spark plug as well. Any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing the problem with the sputtering. Thanks again for all advice an help.
Daivd

If you have to run the choke partially it is most likely the carb is gummed up a little or dirty where the jets are. If the jets get plugged less gas can go through and if you choke it then the mixture will be better. You could try seafoam or something similar but if it is gummed up it might take awhile for that to work.

With that model engine..and I have one...clean carb and it runs like a Ferrari...a little gumming and it floods or hard to start.

What would you recommend to clean the carbs I have been told several different things. I have been told not to use regular carb cleaner because it will ruin the seals. Another person told me to use degreaser to clean them but that only seems to get some of the funk not all of it. Any help and suggestions is appreciated.

My GCV160 was only running with the choke on. cleaned the carb twice, and then noticed one of the intake gaskets was slightly pushed up and allowing a big vacuum leak. Check the intake gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back