Anyone Give Up Your Car For A Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the obvious wins (fun,mpg,insurance costs)how down have the down sides been? Would you do it again?

Well I assume we are talking about a bicycle, not motorcycle, or is it either? I could give up my truck and take the bus to work, but I hate taking the bus and my schedule is so choppy, I sometimes need to come home mid day, so it would not work. Too far for me to bike. I once worked within walking distance 3/4 mile of my job and half the walk was through a mature beech maple hickory woods--ah that was sweet!

Paul, I think he means a MC, since this is in the MC thread.

I rode a MC for a while, but when the weather turned on me that was a bummer. Being caught out in the rain 20 miles from home is not fun.

And the stupid people who don't see you, never a good thing.

One summer, years ago, I decided to daily drive my bikes and only use the car for business or when I had no choice. It started out great, but got old pretty quickly. I ride for pleasure and riding bikes day in and day out took a lot of the joy out of it for me.

I live in a fairly congested area with incosiderate drivers all over the place. Between all the close calls, getting caught in the rain, worries about securing my bike when parked, etc. it just became more of a chore than anything else. Also, I always gear up so it was a little weird walking into a restaurant wearing a leather jacket, riding pants and boots when it was 85 degrees plus outside.

When I went back to riding only for recreation, the magic came back. Perhaps if you live in an underpopulated area it might be better for you, but it just didn't work for me.

I would not do it again.

Same here... dealing with rain/hail/snow prevents one from relying on motorcycle 100%.

Also, how are you going to bring home a week worth of groceries on a bike?

Motorcycles emits more pollution than a regular subcompact car. I would stick with a subcompact. And there really isn't much difference in MPG when compared to a subcompact or hybrid.

I have relied on my MC as sole vehicle several times in my life, usually for periods of up to a year. Downsides: rain (despite a good rain suit, you still feel miserable), extreme temps (< 40 is darn cold, and > 90 is pretty darn hot), small amounts of carrying capacity, and commuting with otherwise blind cagers. It can be done, but sometimes you have to be creative if you have a load to carry.

Vic

Last edited:
Motorcycle is not a replacement for a car. It could be an alternative.
I use it for creational only but under certain situations it can be used in commuting. If distance is short and live in nice climate it would be fun and doable. Some use it altrnatively in long distance though.

Motorcycle as a full-fledged commuter is another topic. In my experience, the best commuter bike I have owned was a GoldWing, since it has massive storage, excellent weather protection, a loud horn, and decent fuel economy. In fact, I'd go so far as to say any good touring bike can make a good commuter. I wouldn't want a naked bike or a sports bike for regular commuting, though. And riding to work with a backpack just feels....a little like going to school.
blush.gif

Vic

I don't myself, but there are a couple of people I work with that use only their scooters almost year-round. One because he has no choice, the others because it saves them a lot of money and they love to ride.

Scooters are designed for functionality = great amount of storage space, some weather protection, and great mpg (80+).

While I ride mine all year long, I do drive the car during inclement weather. I guess i'm just not that dedicated.

I rode a bike for 90% of the time for 25 years,the car was only for carrying stuff,or more than 2 people.The climate in NZ doesn't go to extremes where I've lived....gets cold and rains a lot,but not enough to stop riding all year round.These days I ride a pushbike to work,in all conditions...but if I was to start a longer commute again I'd be back on a motorcycle.

If I lived in a different climate I could do it I think. For 35 years now I've used a motorcycle for 95% of all my driving. Obviously when there's 18" of snow on the road it's not advisable to attempt. Temperature doesn't bother me, it can be below zero or 110 degrees out and I still enjoy the ride. Rain doesn't bother me until it turns to ice.

For people that are seriously considering giving up a car and using the bike for the daily ride, there is also a compromise you could take. Just rent a car one or two weekends a month. It will be cheaper than a car loan and give you opportunities to schedule big haul days.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Motorcycles emits more pollution than a regular subcompact car. I would stick with a subcompact. And there really isn't much difference in MPG when compared to a subcompact or hybrid.

My bike has a catalytic converter etc. and I really doubt that it emits more pollution than a subcompact. I'll agree with you that I get about the same MPGs as a Hybrid, but with 176HP on tap, I also get Bugatti Veyron performance for close to a million dollars less money.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

Just did the math two days ago, im averaging 63mpg on the little Ninja.. im not familiar with newer hybrids or subcompact mpg, are they comparable ? as to the original question, I'm a Motorcyclist, As long as im able, there will always be one in my garage..and il use it as often as i can.

Originally Posted By: VicL
I have relied on my MC as sole vehicle several times in my life, usually for periods of up to a year. Downsides: rain (despite a good rain suit, you still feel miserable), extreme temps (< 40 is darn cold, and > 90 is pretty darn hot), small amounts of carrying capacity, and commuting with otherwise blind cagers. It can be done, but sometimes you have to be creative if you have a load to carry.

Vic

ive done the "milk crate" luggage on the back of the little bike before LMAO, it got the job done ! although i dont think i got many style points..

I rode for many years after I sold my car (FL). I enjoyed the bike immensely and stubbornly refused to purchase a car. Finally, after about 6 years of no car, a good friend gave me an old, rusted Porsche 914 that needed work. He knew that I would work on it, fix it up and want to drive it. (sneaky he was) :)

Anyway, I would not do it again at this point in my life. Especially after my horrific bicycle crash (during a race). However, I look back fondly on my motorcycle times and treasure the memories. They were truly great. I really do wish I could go back to that time. Now, I have a responsible job, a family to feed and I'm not "sharp" on the controls like I used to be.

I've owned over 40 motorcycles. From lowly Honda 200's to state of the art crotch rockets, with a cruiser and a touring bike thrown in. I like 'em all. I've raced many of them and ridden a few hundred thousand lifetime motorcycle miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back