Oil RecommendationFor 2010 Buick Enclave 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type and best brand oil is best for my new 2010 Buick Enclave? When should I do the first oil change?
Owners manual recommends 5W-30 meeting API
I live in Southeast Georgia on the coast.
I do more highway driving than stop and go and usually above 70 MPH. It currently has 950 miles on it.

I would recommend conventional, semi-synthetic or full synthetic 5W-30 from Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Mobil, Havoline, Chevron, Valvoline, or even the Supertech from WalMart which is made by Shell Oil Products United States for the southern states. Oil filter can be neither OEM, Purolator, Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, AC Delco or even the Proline Oil filter from Pepboys which is basically a classic Purolator. Choose your pick and enjoy the new ride !

Thanks S2500Dog. I was leaning toward Mobil 1 but on an Enclave forum it was mentioned several times that Mobil 1 doesn't do well in the Enclave due to the direct injection.

Do first change at 1000 miles with pennzoil yellow bottle and purolator pureone oil filter then next change at 3000 with pennzoil ultra and pureone oil filter then follow your OLM from there on.

Now if you want possibly the best oil and filter for your application then IMO amsoil is where its at as long as you dont mind running an oil that is not API certified. Group IV and V base stocks are less likely to carbon up the valves again IMO (in my opinion)

Last edited:
GM puts in their ZDDP additive for break in. Leave it in until the OCM hits 10%.

Go by the ocm and use a synthetic if you can afford it or a name brand synblend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
GM puts in their ZDDP additive for break in.

I hadnt heard this
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Leave it in until the OCM hits 10%.

Take a look at the many UOAs for these GM DI 3.6L engines. They are generally not...good even for OLM readings of 50% or more. These engines are notorious for generating excessive fuel dilution.

So I think it isn't wise to run the FF to 10%.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Blind_Bat
What type and best brand oil is best for my new 2010 Buick Enclave?

I do recommend you do some searching on the Lambda forums under UOA, oil change etc (as well look on BITOG in the UOA section).

But just to give you something to think about beyond the conventional advice:

After having an 09 Lambda for just over a year and having done several UOAs with mixed results (even using quality synthetics) I am convinced that for anyone owning such a vehicle in a cold weather climate, with a routine of town or city driving, that an HDEO might well be the best fit for this fuel diluting DI engine.

Now I realize that such a choice may be a bit controversial as I realize that an HDEO isn't a warranty approved SM energy conserving oil but I think it may do the best job of protecting this engine under the circumstances I have described. My plan right now is to use the Canadian only HDEO Esso XD 0W30 next change.

Having said this BITOG member rbarrios had a good recent UOA with the conventional Valvoline 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Blind_Bat
What type and best brand oil is best for my new 2010 Buick Enclave?

I do recommend you do some searching on the Lambda forums under UOA, oil change etc (as well look on BITOG in the UOA section).

But just to give you something to think about beyond the conventional advice:

After having an 09 Lambda for just over a year and having done several UOAs with mixed results (even using quality synthetics) I am convinced that for anyone owning such a vehicle in a cold weather climate, with a routine of town or city driving, that an HDEO might well be the best fit for this fuel diluting DI engine.

Now I realize that such a choice may be a bit controversial as I realize that an HDEO isn't a warranty approved SM energy conserving oil but I think it may do the best job of protecting this engine under the circumstances I have described. My plan right now is to use the Canadian only HDEO Esso XD 0W30 next change.

Having said this BITOG member rbarrios had a good recent UOA with the conventional Valvoline 5W30.

I agree 100%. If I owned that DI Enclave I would be running this oil right here.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

As pointed out by 21Rouge the HDEO may be the ticket but as also noted, PP and Val dino turned in OK results at about 50% showing on the OLM. Soon there will be a UOA of an lambda 3.6L DI using PU and it will be good to see how it does. I suspect it will not be all that much, if any, better than PP. One thing for sure, M1 does not do well in the engine.

21Rouge and I both own 3.6L DIs in lambdas.

Use quakerstate green bottle and the GM delco oil filter.Supertech in the 5 quart blue bottle and supertech filter are a good choice too. Never use the Fram orange filter-They restrict oil flow and drive an engine to an early death. ok

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Use quakerstate green bottle and the GM delco oil filter.Supertech in the 5 quart blue bottle and supertech filter are a good choice too. Never use the Fram orange filter-They restrict oil flow and drive an engine to an early death. ok
Are you positive about the Frams restricting oil flow?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
New car? I would read the oil recommendations in the owners manual and go by that.

And how far would have that advice gotten the folks with engines that we now know are "sludgers"?

21.gif

If I had a DI engine, I think I'd be paying a little more attention as well.

Yes,the orange Fram usually has the anti drainback valve glued to the base plate.Seems to be a factory defect where glue flows onto the valve and welds it to the baseplate. Verify this by holding a blunt nose tool (nothing sharp or pointed) nearly flat against the base plate a pushing the tool into each hole around the outside .The tool should push the valve out of the way and the tool should touch the inside of the can.It won't require much force to do this if the valve isn't glued to the base plate.IF the valve is stuck oil cannot get inside the filter and at best only a limited amount of oil can flow.I've seen these filters burst if the oil pump can't break loose the glue seal and get some oil to flow.

I always liked Penn products in my Chevy's. I'd dump the FF @ 1k, then switch over to a quality conventional, like Pyb or QSgb, and use a Delco or a Purolator filter and stick to 5k oci's. Pennzoil makes very good synthetics too if you wanna go that route, just depends how long you want to go between oci's. I believe GM's FF is Mobil, but I never liked the feel of either MC5000 or M1 in my trucks.

If it was my vehicle, I would probably change oil every 3,000 miles due to the fuel dilution problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back