Valvoline VR1 20/50 2008 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke em if you Got em...
Valvoline VR-1. This oil saw 300 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. The other two are Mobil 1 V-Twin and Syn3.

vr1post.jpg

So far the VR1 is the one to beat in a Harley engine.

There is another Mobil 1 20W50 UOA recently with low wear metals, but the oil had thickened to a sort of scary level. So did yours, it looks like.

And what with the much lower cost of the VR1, I'd see no reason to run any other oil.

I wouldn't run it 5000 miles, however. There's too much that can happen to an oil in that length of time. Fuel dilution could be an issue, for example. I'd keep changing it at 2500 miles, or not more than 3000.

Great report. Wear metals are extremely low... and the oil held up just fine.

Dan

dan,
the susvis is 86.9
the bottom of 50wt is 83.11

otf,
tbn of 6.2 looks strong still. go 3k!
your zinc of 1399 does not match up with an argument in the racing forum. odd. when did you purchase this oil?

i almost never chime in on a hd report, but this looks like the new standard others need to look to.
keep that motor cooking at 300f!!!

Originally Posted By: sunruh
dan,
the susvis is 86.9

I think he was talking about the middle UOA on M1 Vtwin where it went to 23+ cSt @ 100C which is a 60 grade. Like I said in the other post, not uncommon for that oil, at least not in these engines. And Amsoil MCS behaves similarly.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

I think he was talking about the middle UOA on M1 Vtwin where it went to 23+ cSt @ 100C which is a 60 grade. Like I said in the other post, not uncommon for that oil, at least not in these engines. And Amsoil MCS behaves similarly.

but but but but

what about the skillet test?

grin2.gif

Am planning on keeping the VR1 in until the 5k mark.

Still need to send off the Mobil sample from bike #2 that baked in at 300 degrees with me.

Bike 2 now has Brad Penn 20/50.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
dan,
the susvis is 86.9

otf,
tbn of 6.2 looks strong still. go 3k!
your zinc of 1399 does not match up with an argument in the racing forum. odd. when did you purchase this oil?
i almost never chime in on a hd report, but this looks like the new standard others need to look to.
keep that motor cooking at 300f!!!

I just bought it in June this year. The Valvoline PDS shows .14 for zinc.

There's a UOA out here somewhere showing the conventional HD 360 20W-50 oil @ 5K interval and it did well. Still, it's $8.99 in my area and the VR1 20W-50 is $4.29.

I've been using that VR1 for about a year now and even on Sportsters where the transmission/primary are shared. Certainly it is too soon to tell but I don't have any complaints.

5k on the Sportster transmission/primary and 3k on the crankcase changes. I run Delvac 15W-40 in my big twin primary chaincases as it shifts the best of anything that I've used, including Mercon.

Back by Popular Demand!!!!!!!
I couldn't run the full 5k as I traded the bike. But, here is the conclusion to the VR1 test. Apparently Harleys only beat up Designer Oil.

VR15K.jpg

while i normally dont report on hd's.

wow, a total yawn of a report from vr1.
imagine that!

alum of 2 and iron of 4?
you boys running vr1 need to stop towing them and start riding them!

Was looking for an oil for my future 2010 street triple r and just found it. Wasn't sure between Delvac 20w-50 and valvoline 20w-50, didn't see if there was a report on some kind of rotella 20w-50. Awesome, thanks!

Apparently the oil gained some zinc later in the OCI
laugh.gif

Nice report! Wonder if I should drink some VR-1 when I'm out on my bicycle next time. If it does so good in your engine, it should do great in mine!
laugh.gif

Just changed my '07 Electra Glide over to VR1 2 weeks ago & won't be looking back. I'm done with $12/qt boutique m/c synthetics...

I'll be using VR1 when I do my oil change later this month. I bought 8 qts when Auto Zone had it on sale a few weeks ago. I think I paid something like $2.49 a qt.

Can Anyone tell me the difference with VR1 "racing oil" VS the 4-Stroke "Motorcycle" oil? I find the MC oil everywhere, but never the VR1 in a 20w-50... Is it the same oil or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back