Considering new SUV Land Rover LR4 vs. Yukon w/Z71

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know those 2 vehicles are not exactly apples to apples, but they're the only 2 I like the looks and features of.

Any thoughts or experiences with either or other advice?

Thanks

I would rather have a Yukon any day of the week over a Land Rover.

I'm gonna get flamed for it I know, but the Yukons IMO are far more reliable and better built than Land Rover.

Earlier Land Rover's were great, can't say the same for the 2000+ Land Rover's. Nothing but problems mechanically and electronically.

I'd put the Yukon way above the Land Rover in reliability. But even if that were a draw, it will be alot easier to get parts and knowledgeable people for the GM, since they are related to the fullsize truck lineup and sold in such large numbers.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I'm gonna get flamed for it I know, but the Yukons IMO are far more reliable and better built than Land Rover.

What are you basing this on?

Looking at MSN, the LR3 (predecessor of the new LR4) actually has better reliability ratings than Yukon, but these ratings don't go very far back for the LR3.

Looking at truedelta.com, they both suck and should probably be avoided if reliability is the only purchasing criteria.

Land Rover is the most terrible car for reliability on the planet. Yukon? not great - Id go for an uplevel Trailblazer or the SAAB version. Staight 6 also.

Last edited:
I own an LR3, and enjoy it. I do not care for the Yukon/Tahoe. I drove a 2010 Tahoe LT for 3 days (rental) and did not like it. Price wise it is a tie as both vehicles can get north of 50k+. Service and parts, reliability favor Tahoe though. Drive both and then decide. I factor 2k a year to keep mine running, which is double of what edmunds figures (1k) for an average sedan I believe.

I'd go with the Yukon. Don't know exactly which is more reliable, but I know which is easier to get parts for......

You Are right these two vehicles attract very different clientele. The Land Rover will be more expensive,unless you get a loaded Yukon Denali, which will be of similar price point. The land rover has a trick off road selectable AWD system. When the new Land Rover was tested by car and driver it went where ever they asked it, even in deep ruts, and mud. Now I've sat in an older Tahoe, cousin to the Yukon, but this was 5 years ago, and don't really know how the new ones stack up. I'd like to think that GM has really tried to upgrade the interior, as the land rover interior is really nice. GM FINALLY put a 6 speed transmission on their SUV's, It's about freakin time. The bottom line is that the Land Rover Will Probably beat the Yukon off road, by how much I'm not sure. The Land Rover will definitely cost you more once the warranty is out. There is no data on reliability of the LR4 as it's a new model but unless major improvement to the electronics were addressed don't be surprised when switches fail, even under warranty.

With a Land Rover it is better to lease IMO. Yukon if keeping it after the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

The land rover has a trick off road selectable AWD system.

I don't know if its the same, but IIRC the upper level '11 Grand Cherokee can also be had w/ such a system. It looks rather nice as well but especally in V-6 form is yet unproven.

Last edited:
The LR engines are built off the Jaguar AJ-V8 as they are now sister companies. The LR version was a Ward's 10 best as recently as a year or so ago.

Jaguar has had stellar reliability and build quality for well over a decade now, not sure why LR is struggling to match it.

I would get the LR; I think the Yukon / Tahoe are a poor value at their price point, unless you just need a huge SUV.

Thanks, guys. Keep the info coming. I'm also a bit concerned about cost and ease of maintaining the Land Rover. The nearest dealer is 40 minutes away vs. 10 minutes for GMC.

Originally Posted By: typ901
I own an LR3, and enjoy it. I do not care for the Yukon/Tahoe. I drove a 2010 Tahoe LT for 3 days (rental) and did not like it. Price wise it is a tie as both vehicles can get north of 50k+. Service and parts, reliability favor Tahoe though. Drive both and then decide. I factor 2k a year to keep mine running, which is double of what edmunds figures (1k) for an average sedan I believe.

I would get the Land Rover as I have heard good things about how it handles. Plus, there are not many of them on the road so it's an opportunity to be a little different.

If your vehicle was in the street in front of my house, and needed to be towed to the nearest dealer... here's your choices.

GMC dealer - 3 miles away.
Chevrolet dealer - 7 miles away
GMC dealer - 19 miles away
Chevrolet dealer - 20 miles away
(and plenty more to choose from in a 50 mile radius...)

Land Rover dealer - 100 miles away, 120 miles away, or 130 miles away.

And before you think that I live out in the middle of nowhere, I live 2 miles from a Big Ten University.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
24-Hour Roadside Assistance

All Land Rover vehicles still under warranty are covered by our exclusive Land Rover Roadside Assistance. A call to our 24-hour toll-free hotline (1-800-637-6837) brings you help anywhere in the United States. Services include:

- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance: provides assistance with flat tires, low fuel, a battery jump, keys locked in the car and more.

- 24-Hour Emergency Towing: complimentary transportation of your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover Retailer.*

- Land Rover Retailer Locator Service: enables you to locate Land Rover authorized parts and service.

- Trip-Interruption Expense Benefits: reasonable reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses if a warranty-related disablement occurs more than 50 miles from home.

- Land Rover Trip-Routing Service: computerized city-to-city trip-routing maps out your travels.

*Tow requests resulting from collisions, accidents or vandalism are not eligible for towing service

With their 24 hour roadside assistance, why would you care?

When our Xj8 was still in factory warranty ( it ran out at the end of 2008 ), the Jaguar dealer would come and get it and bring it back for its annual service.

We live about 120 miles, one way, from the dealer.

I would expect LR dealers to do the same thing.

Getting a new car to a dealer is not a big deal nowadays, is there ANY new car sold without an extensive road side assistance package included in the purchase price?

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
With their 24 hour roadside assistance, why would you care?

Once the warranty expires... it becomes an issue again...

Plus, it is still a hassle to just deal with a breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back