What happens to old oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's safe to say that used oil has many uses... as an additive, heating oil, fuel, lubrication, etc.

One of the local motorcycle shops accepts used oil and uses it to heat their shop in the winter.

It would be interesting to go to the local Autozone and take a cup of their used oil and do a UOA on that to see just what's getting poured in and of what quality it is.

I'm guessing my local oreilys used oil container is in pretty good shape thanks to all the oil i've poured in with only 2000 or less miles on it
wink.gif

I'm not sure burning and spewing heavy metal content from bearing wear into the atmosphere is either wise or responsible. At least with hydrotreating, those metals collect in the reaction vessel from where they can be collected and processed for commercial/industrial use.

Was told years ago (mid 90's)
Most of it was used in ships.
Very little was recycled for auto use.
It has always been available for autos in the Los Angeles market
and was always stated as
"Recycled Oil".

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Yeah, I got in touch with the regional sales manager for Safety Kleen and he said 55 gallons was their smallest option. He didn't even respond to me once he found out I was Joe Blow consumer and not some quicky lube.

Too bad he didn't pay you attention... for those of us on here who change our own oil, if we had a garage, and were changing the oil on 3 or 4 cars regularly, it might be handy to have a 55 gallon drum to dump oil in.

For my one car, i dont mind driving down to Oreillys or Autozone and dropping off my used oil, but considering all the oil they sell, i can't help but think there is a great quantity that still ends up in landfills, down sewers, or in the hole in the back yard.

No, I meant I was inquiring about BUYING recycled oil. They said it was sold in 55 gallon drums. I told him I would have no prob w/ 55 gallons if the price was right. He never got back to me though. I told him I was a bitoger and perhaps he panicked that someone would do a VOA or something....
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back