Oil Filter and Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive read a few posts that say poor quality filters can lead to more noisy engines. What is this about? What kind of noises?

Reason I ask is that I recently did and oil and filter change on my 360 Dodge truck engine, and I noticed the Fram filter, when revving the warmed up engine and holding at about 2,000 RPM, there was a deep tone noise coming from the filter area of the engine. Deep bass tone - almost a loud humming. Did not do when cold.

So for the helluva it, I replaced the filter with a Mopar filter and I do not hear the same noise (yet). No other changes made.

Is this deep tone sound what people here with "bad" filters?

I think the noise people describe from a filter is usually just cold start and idle. More will chime in that have experience the sound.

To tell you more some engine's design's do not like a certain filter. But I do not think it is because of the filter's quality. For instance I used a pure one filter on my ford ranger and it did not like it at all. A pure one filter is regarded as one of the best filter's you can buy. I used a fram and it made no noise at all.

My engine doesn't do it with it running like yours does constantly. Mine does it on start-up. The lifters tick like crazy for the first few seconds because the ADBV leaked the oil back.

Drove me nuts and I replaced the filter and now it has gone away.

i had a fram tough gard that made my dakota have what sounded like lifter noise, not just on start up but all the time, first fram i have put on it and after putting a purolator on it with no other changes the noise was gone, next oil change i will be using the wix/mobil 7500 combo that i always use. dang you autozone special!!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My engine doesn't do it with it running like yours does constantly. Mine does it on start-up. The lifters tick like crazy for the first few seconds because the ADBV leaked the oil back.

I had same issue with the early roller cam 318 (loud tick just a start up), but no filter would do anything (thought it was drain back problem). Going to a 15Wx oil helped.

I`ve never noticed any difference at all in startup or hot engine noise when using different oil filters. I`ve used orange Fram,AC Delco,Wix,Mobil 1,and Nissan OEM. No difference in noise,oil pressure,engine cleanliness,nothing. Only filter I`ll never ever buy again is a Mobil 1,simply because there`s no way I`ll ever pay $13 for an oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I had same issue with the early roller cam 318 (loud tick just a start up), but no filter would do anything (thought it was drain back problem). Going to a 15Wx oil helped.

I wish I could find a good 15w30 I would try it but 15w40 and 15w50 is too thick for my liking.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve never noticed any difference at all in startup or hot engine noise when using different oil filters. I`ve used orange Fram,AC Delco,Wix,Mobil 1,and Nissan OEM. No difference in noise,oil pressure,engine cleanliness,nothing. Only filter I`ll never ever buy again is a Mobil 1,simply because there`s no way I`ll ever pay $13 for an oil filter.

+1 never any start up noise and i won't buy RP or K&N oil filters

There are two common types of bypass valve's used in oil filters. Some, like WIX, use a coil spring. Some, like Purolater, use a CLICKER type flat spring. I have found the clicker type flat spring to make this humming type noise somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rpm. It's simple, the filter is going into bypass and the spring is clicking. The sound is highly dampened by the oil.
My son's, now gone, Acura did not like clickers at all. The VTEC cam operation would not function properly. Stick a WIX with a spring on it, and it was happy.

Last edited:
Interesting! I had no idea really what bypass valves were :^P I wonder what the Japanese Nissan filters use?

On the wix site if you look up the filter that fits your car I think it even tells you at what PSI your filter enters by-pass as each one is usually different and WIX manufactures to OEM spec.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
I have found the clicker type flat spring to make this humming type noise somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rpm. It's simple, the filter is going into bypass and the spring is clicking. The sound is highly dampened by the oil.
My son's, now gone, Acura did not like clickers at all. The VTEC cam operation would not function properly. Stick a WIX with a spring on it, and it was happy.

Unless the filter media is really loaded up, or the bypass valve is defective, the bypass valve really shouldn't be opening at 1500 RPM unless the oil is very thick (ie, below freezing or colder).

It should not open up if you're out of pump relief ..at least due to viscosity. It's harder to push the oil through the rest of the engine than it is through the filter. There's much more resistance on the back side of the media than the media could ever offer to flow.

Quote:
What exactly is happening when a filter goes into bypass? Why does it,and what is it`s purpose?

The oil pump is a positive displacement pump. That means all the pumped volume of oil is going right now. The oil pressure system relief valve in the engine is about 60 to 85 psi. If the oil filter can not handle all the flow, the bypass in the filter opens and oil flows without being filtered.
The oil filter bypass setting, about 7 to 12 psi, is a pressure difference between the input of the filter to the output. When the filter element can not pass all the oil the pump is pumping, the bypass opens and allows unfiltered full flow oil to the engine. The bypass in the filter is mostly a safety device to protect the filter element form over pressure across it, which could harm or destroy it.

Quote:
There are two common types of bypass valve's used in oil filters. Some, like WIX, use a coil spring. Some, like Purolater, use a CLICKER type flat spring....
Only Purolator's smaller(est) filters, eg. popular 14610, 14612, use the flat spring (45rpm adaptor type) design. Most like the 14459 use a coil spring design that extends into the centertube. I've used both with no issues, and noticed no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back