What Fluid for Manual Trans in 2000 Ford Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck is a 2000 ford ranger with a manual trans and the 3.0L V6. I believe it calls for Auto trans fluid but I have heard it is better to put a dedicated manual trans fluid in there. What do you guys suggest?

I don't have any experience with any of the MTFs, but the ones designed for manuals that spec ATF from the factory should work fine.

I always used regular Dex/Merc in my M5OD. They sold it by the gallon at Wal-Mart for just over $10. Worked great...easier and cheaper than changing the engine oil.

What you need to remember with the M5OD is to NOT use gear oil. Apparently they have some splash lubricated bearings and gear oil is too thick to adequately lubricate them.

When I did my manual transmission fluid exchange on my Ranger, I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I noticed a great improvement in the overall smoothness of shifting. I believe the old fluid was original, so anything would have made a difference.

My ranger rejected the M1 I used. It was fine at first, but about 25K later, it was getting hard to shift and it was notchy. I drained it. I was expecting to see some nice clean atf, but it was dark purple and smelled horrible. I have been using Chevron M/D ever since then, but I now change it every 15K or so. Its been shifting fine after I changed it out.

Its possible the M1 didn't play nice with some of the metals in the transmission.

It is generally much better to use a dedicated manual trans fluid in a tranny like yours.
Why? Better gear and bearing protection, for sure. Better shifting is almost a given.
But then why do they spec ATF? It's cheap, one fluid at the dealer for PS systems, transfer cases, auto trannys and manual trannys.
And a very important consideration is cold shifting complaints from customers.
There are indeed some special manual transmission that should use ATF, but yours is not one of them.
Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF would be a big upgrade for you.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
My ranger rejected the M1 I used. It was fine at first, but about 25K later, it was getting hard to shift and it was notchy. I drained it. I was expecting to see some nice clean atf, but it was dark purple and smelled horrible. I have been using Chevron M/D ever since then, but I now change it every 15K or so. Its been shifting fine after I changed it out.

Its possible the M1 didn't play nice with some of the metals in the transmission.

M1 ATF has no affect over bronze or brass in a tranny. Now M1 gear lube is not reccomended in manual trannys.

Originally Posted By: cos
+1 for Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL.

Agreed. Both of these are the Gold Standard fluid for that Mazda transmission. Avoid the thin ATF's as they won't have the film strength when the going get tough. MTL and MTF may shift a bit harder at -20f but well worth the trade off. lots of discussion in the archives on this topic.

I had a 91 Explorer with the M5 tranny and putting in the MTL was like pouring in a new transmission...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back