Syntheso GLK 1 Brake Lube?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to hijack the most current brake lube thread....I was amused at the guys in that thread talking about swelling rubber using regular brake greases.

Well, I just posted a problem (in the maintenance forum) I am having with my Caravan lower front caliper pins that seem to keep binding. It seems like the rubber sleeve is swelling.

The Factory service manual recommends using this German stuff or an equivalent. Now I am wondering if I also need some exotic grease for a Caravan????

http://www.klubersolutions.com/pdfs/Syntheso_20GLK_201_1PF.pdf

It has a polyalkylene glycol oil in a lithium base, with PTFE additive. Yikes.

I've been using Permatex green synthetic. Could this be the problem?

Yea, I used Sil-glyde back in the day. Then I came to BITOG and learned about all the "good"/better/ new technology stuff.

I know the permatex seems stiffer than the Sil Glyde and not quite as slippery.

Sil glyde is an old school product. Looking at its msds, I think it contains very little silicone. I think it has castor oil in it, thus it turns color when exposed to light (it starts out clear, then gets darker over time...something silicone doesn't do.)

Anyone else? How do I stop this swelling, short of getting that German grease from the dealer.

I'm about to do my brakes on my Saturn with a rubber sleeve for the lower caliper pin, and I am using a new to me product from KENT specific for brake lube. I actually ended up going to a Nissan dealer and asking them what their techs use. They like and recommend the stuff I bought. I'll report back when I do the brake job, hopefully this weekend.

I'd be interested to know if it's better than the Permatex Ultra Slick Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant. Safe for rubber, can be used inside the braking system, handles crazy temps, resists water and corrosion. Plus it is widely available. :D

Last edited:
Well I can say as a prelim that the KENT product is so far working well on my Saturn.

Did the brakes last week and they feel fantastic now. Pedal actuation is now easier and smoother thanks to well lubed slides with brand new rubber sleeves, and the proper brake lube
wink.gif

Longevity is going to be the real test. I hope this stuff lasts more than a few months like the standard green Permatex stuff, which I will never use again.

Yeah, that green stuff has caused me many headaches. The Purple stuff has been good to me so far, without failure and I've been using it in various spots for over a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back