Fram Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: frankm
I wonder how many people realise that quite a few OEM filters from the dealer are the cheapest Fram's with a different paint job and logo. Not to single out any particular car makers, but it's quite a common practice. The only oil filters I have experienced catastrophic failure with are 1) OEM Mazda and 2) Fram orange can of death, which are coincidentally the exact same filter. The problem around where I live (the GTA) is that Walmart and Cdn Tire have the monopoly on car maintenance products, and it's Fram or nothing these days.

Could you share with us what type of catastrophic failure you had?

I'm currently running a TG7317 on the wife's Altima. I'm very pleased with the results: much less valve-train chatter on cold-starts than the ST7317 I normally run on it.

I don't like the regular price of it ($5.64 at WM). It came free with an AZ OC special.

I wonder how many people realise that quite a few OEM filters from the dealer are the cheapest Fram's with a different paint job and logo. Not to single out any particular car makers, but it's quite a common practice. The only oil filters I have experienced catastrophic failure with are 1) OEM Mazda and 2) Fram orange can of death, which are coincidentally the exact same filter. The problem around where I live (the GTA) is that Walmart and Cdn Tire have the monopoly on car maintenance products, and it's Fram or nothing these days.

You could always go to Amzn to get your filters. I bought some K&N filters a while back forabout $8.00each and if your total is over $25.00 shipping is free.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You could always go to Amzn to get your filters. I bought some K&N filters a while back forabout $8.00each and if your total is over $25.00 shipping is free.

Like me, frankm is stuck in Canada. Amazon won't send us squat for oil filters. Their selection and prices are great, but if they won't send it, that doesn't do frankm or me any good.

He is right. If we go to Walmart, only Fram is sold. Canadian Tire has a marginally better selection (Motomaster, QS, K&N, Mobil 1, and Bosch for European applications), but they didn't increase shelf space when they added brands. They cut model numbers. They don't have the FL1A equivalent Mobil 1 on the shelf. What's up with that?

So, we're stuck with the odd online retailer. Or, we can find a smaller parts store or a NAPA and hope for the best.

As for those who speak of Fram and catastrophic engine failure, I would agree. I've never personally seen one engine blow up because it used a Fram.

Will I use one? No. The price point for the product quality doesn't work for me. I can buy a PH8A for around $5 or $6. I can get a Wix 51515 for $5. Which do you think I'm going to choose? I can also get an FL1A for about a buck more than the Fram.

So, what incentive is there to buy Fram? It's got lower construction quality at a premium price.

I would use the Extended Guard with confidence. However, I don't need K&N, Mobil 1, EaO, or Extended Guard filters for my maintenance regimen.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Perhaps I should start eBaying filters if they're so hard to get in Canada

You could probably make a couple bucks.
wink.gif

There are online retailers that will ship to Canada from the United States. Amazon.com is just being weird. As I've mentioned elsewhere, their "reason" is that it has to do with warranty. If you ask me, that's really not Amazon's problem. If I buy an FL1A and they send me the wrong filter, sure, that's their problem. If the FL1A is defective, that's between me and Motorcraft, and there's no difference between the American and Canadian version. Additionally, there is no duty on American made (or Mexican made) auto parts shipped to Canada.

There are a few online retailers in Canada that have good filter deals, but those pertain mostly to European vehicles. I can buy Mahle, Mann, and Bosch filters for my Audi for $5 and under, with free shipping if I buy enough. With my F-150, oddly enough, the filter selection online is nowhere near as good.

That's my biggest beef, probably even more so than price. Selection up here is terrible. Unlike down south, Walmart sells only Fram. The used to sell AC Delco, but now it's strictly Fram. While our filters are a bit more money than in the States, the Fram issue is the same. They're overpriced on both sides of the border.

Sounds like I should see how many Motorcraft Filters fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box and put that up for sale on eBay Canada!

Quote:
The only oil filters I have experienced catastrophic failure with are 1) OEM Mazda and 2) Fram orange can of death, which are coincidentally the exact same filter.

..but is it the identical filter? It will probably look identical, but I really can't see an OEM just rebadging common rolling stock into their aftermarket labeled filter.

I mean, I could be wrongs for some man's, but Ford certainly doesn't just rebadge a Purolator Classic and call it MotorCraft. They specify their open end bypass and silicon ADBV where required.

Help me out with a couple of data points.

Was your car assembled in Canada?

If so, then the use of a Fram on the engine probably has more to do with a jobs program than it does with anything else. Since you have Fram facilities in Canada ..and don't have Purolator (or anyone else, I think) ..that's what you get.

I had an early 90's yamaha fzr1000 that lost an engine due to a fram filter. The oil filter blew off despite being safety wired in place. Fram acknowledged that some of them made it out with the threads improperly cut. My impression was that the hole was too large so the threads were very shallow. Until today I had not put a fram filter on a bike since that happened. Today it was my only choice.

True enough; oil filters will only cause engine damage if they leak at the gasket (usually due to careless installation)and allow sudden oil loss. Oil filters are not nearly as critical as the oil itself. Remember the old VW Bugs that didn't even have a filter, unless the owner had installed an aftermarket set-up.

True enough; oil filters will only cause engine damage if they leak at the gasket (usually due to careless installation)and allow sudden oil loss.

It's also possible to have other failures in the filter that can cause engine problems:

a) Failed by-pass valve - causes oil starvation (bypass won't open) or failure to filter all oil (bypass stuck open)

b) Media blowout - causes possible media chunks to flow downstream into the engine.

c) Center tube collapse - causes flow restriction & oil starvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back