walmart supertech syntethic oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
any reason not to use it in my 2005 dakota with a 4.7L v8?

[ June 21, 2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: ted s ]

If you're referring to the Walmart Supertech synthetic oil, then there's no reason you can't (or shouldn't) use it. It's a good oil at a good price, just don't over extend the OCI on it. Keep it reasonable and you'll be fine.

Just understand that it is not a true synthetic and has a weak additive package. It has also has not looked very impressive in any of the used oil analysis we have seen so far! So while their is no reason to ban it's use from any vechile their is no reason to recomend it either. It is a shinny turd not a diamond in the rough! If cost is the primary motivator you might try Pennzoil Platnium I belive that sells for $18 for 4-5 quart jug at Walmart or go with Rotella-T-Synthetic for $15 a gallon. Neither of the two oils I have recomended are true synthetics either but they have much better additive package and their base stocks are at least as good and probably a lot better then Walmarts Synthetic. Walmarts Synthetic is made by Warren Protrolem Products. Almost all of the generic or store brand synthetics you see on shelfs are made by WPP. Most of the UOA we have seen of WPP synthetics has shown them to be used up some place between 3000-5000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Just understand that it is not a true synthetic and has a weak additive package. It has also has not looked very impressive in any of the used oil analysis we have seen so far!

You haven't been paying attention, there is a spectacular UOA with this oil that was just recently posted:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003566

It's still on page one of the UOA section right now.

quote:

Originally posted by drewjp:
What is this about PP not being synthetic???

I thought it was a high quality Group V????

Somebody forgot to tell poster John Browning...lol
burnout.gif

My brother has a Durango with the 4.7 L V-8, with *way* over 100,000 miles on it now. He swears he ran a fill of WalMart Supertech Synthetic in it for at least 25,000 miles
shocked.gif
. He drives all highway, but still...
pat.gif
. I don't know what weight he used.

However, it seems to have suffered no ill effects. He's now running a fill of Havoline Synthetic SL 5w40 that I gave him.

And while Supertech Synthetic may appear to have a modest additive pakage, it has this tendency to turn in good to *excellent* UOAs. I'd say, if you're curious, buy a jug & run it. Your truck may love the stuff!
cheers.gif

My take on it was JB was speaking to the title, not to PP when he said not a true syn and weak addy package.

Patman's UOA link is to a WW syn report.

BrianWC, PP is not a true synthetic becasue it does not contain a base stock that is 100% group IV or V! Anyting less then GIV and V is not synthetic. PP is a mix of base stocks. If it were 100% EOP or a blend of EOP,PAO,TME,TPE then it would be a true synthetic. If it has GIII or GII in it then it is not a true synthetic. IF you doubt the make up of it's base stock simply look at the independent lab results posted on Amsoil's corperate site. It quikly points out the limits of various products that are not 100% synthetic!

No if you read my whole post though I did recomend PP and Rotella-T Synthetic over Walmarts product due to a better additive package. I did not say that PP had a weak additive package at all.

Winston, Why don't you point out the mis-information in my origanal post!! I love to see where what I said was historicaly incorrect! THe only PP that is 100% synthetic is the PP sold in Eruope as synthetic. SHow me one 9000-10000 mile UOA showing Walmart SYnthetic in good shape. It's TBN always drops to fast even with short OCI less then 7500 mile. The wear numbers are usualy nothing too outstanding and the additive package is nothing to write home about either. Their is nothing in terms of organic metalic AW/EP additives that is going to be missed by even a cheap UOA. What type of exotic additives do you expect to get from a cheap GIII (Walmart WPP)synthetic.Now I do understand that non-metalic additives are not going to show up in a cheap UOA but the industry standard tests as published by Amsoil does give you a lot of insight into what is not part of a companies base stock.

[ June 22, 2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

1. Everything I have read here states that PP is full synthetic oil. You state that it is not, based on Amsoils test results? That does not proove that it is not synthetic to me.

2. Here are all of the Walmart Supertech Synthetic oil analysis on BITOG.
UOA 1
UOA 2

UOA 3

UOA 4

Nothing here supports the idea that the oil is a "shiney turd". There are many claims by people stating that the oil has a "weak" add pack etc. However, notice how the wear is very very low in all of the analysis. No, it is not a long drain oil, but for the price it is a reasonable deal.

This data also does not support your statement that "Most of the UOA we have seen of WPP synthetics has shown them to be used up some place between 3000-5000 miles. "

There are rumors that the oil has an add pack that produces very low wear numbers by having a high calcium concentrations. While I don't have any written evidence prooving that. The few UOAs posted support the possibility that it is an oil that produces very low wear.

So, specifically the two problems I had with your post is 1. your statement that Pennzoil platinum is not a "true" synthetic. and 2. your statement that Supertech Synthetic is a "shiney turd"

[ June 22, 2006, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Winston ]

It is clear that with the newer add packs it is difficult to "see" them in the UOA's. The recent UOA for Supertech syn showed outstanding wear (as predicted by Mannix), but the TBN did drop fairly quickly.

Penzoil Platinum is "true" synthetic. It is an EOP, Group V. Right?

I have never seen so much misinformation in one of JB's posts.

I still have 6 jugs to go through. i also have 4 jugs of PP left. I use them both and switch back and forth from time to time. STS is a good oil. I have a 4.7 liter Durango 2k3. Truck runs like a top with 70,000+ miles now. I will continue to buy these 2 oils because they are a good price at WW and they seem to work great in my motor.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
If it has GIII or GII in it then it is not a true synthetic.

So Mobil 1 is not a synthetic by your definition since it has some grp III in it (well, at least used to, not sure if it still does). With that definition, only GC and maybe Redline are "true" synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back