Is Exxon or Mobil Gasoline a Top-Tier Fuel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I was wondering what you'll think about the quality of Exxon or Mobil fuels? On their website, they list their fuels as meeting top tier but the top tier website does not list them. Anyway, share your thoughts and experiences with using Exxon/Mobil fuels.
34.gif

I avoid Top Tier whenever possible as it contains ethanol. (See Base fuel, 1.3.1.2 in the spec for Top Tier) FWIW--Oldtommy

Not all Top-Tier contains Ethanol, Shell V-Power is Ethanol free up here!
wink.gif

I heard that all gas is filtered and refind to a top-tier standard sulfur requirement but it's the cleaning additives that are added that are the second requirement to make it meet the top-tier standard.

For a while XOM was saying that their fuel although low in sulfur as required for the Top-Tier standard didn't use the cleaning package required to be officially certified Top-Tier and that their cleaning additives were just as good. (Paraphrasing)

I guess that wasn't flying with customers.
31.gif

The non top tier fuels contain ethanol too anyway. That part is misleading. Top tier doesn't have to contain ethanol, only it still has to meet the test specs with ethanol added. I'm glad to see Mobil on the list now, but I'm still using Shell for now as I'm not sure that mobils additive pack is quite as good.

there is no such thing as top tier,,they must get rid of that stupid definition, if u will watch tankers in early morning fill up stop and go stations, they go down the street and put the same stuff in an Exxon station or shell,,its all the same. I worked my way thru school at a shell station and watched that scenario many a time.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
there is no such thing as top tier,,they must get rid of that stupid definition, if u will watch tankers in early morning fill up stop and go stations, they go down the street and put the same stuff in an Exxon station or shell,,its all the same. I worked my way thru school at a shell station and watched that scenario many a time.
As I said above all gasoline has to meet a minimum standard for low sulphur content as defined for Top-Tier, but the second part of the "Top-Tier" is the additives that keep the engine clean. This can be added to a tank at the time it's delivered from an additive bottle.

So yes the base gasoline is the same but the little bottle of stuff that upgrades it to top-tier isn't added to every station.

wink.gif

We have debated this many many many time before... Do a search!

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
All that cheap grocery store gas is ethanol. Not top teir like Chevron and Shell.

Chevron and Shell do have ethanol in their gas, depending on region.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As I said above all gasoline has to meet a minimum standard for low sulphur content as defined for Top-Tier, but the second part of the "Top-Tier" is the additives that keep the engine clean. This can be added to a tank at the time it's delivered from an additive bottle.

So yes the base gasoline is the same but the little bottle of stuff that upgrades it to top-tier isn't added to every station.

wink.gif

We have debated this many many many time before... Do a search!
The little bottle of stuff? omy get me my aspirin and does shell or mobil or gulf oil admit to the little bottle of stuff to a 3000 gallon tanker. I need a cold one to.

Tankers have seperated compartments and can carry various fuels at the same time. That's why there are multiple hose connections and valves under the tank trailer.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

Tankers have seperated compartments and can carry various fuels at the same time. That's why there are multiple hose connections and valves under the tank trailer.

Wait, what...so it's not a Big Oil conspiracy...how disappointing for certain people here.
shocked2.gif

I believe Exxon stated long ago that they prefer to make a quality gasoline but not considered "Top Tier" club type gas.

Regardless I've used Mobil/Exxon gas anf found it to be a good gas with no issues seen or felt while driving.

Lately I've been using ARCO and seems to be just as good/quality regardless of the many people saying it's lousey. It works for me.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back