MMO to clean the chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i assume MMO is marvel mystery oil?

i have not used it, but in case you are looking for something to clean your chain, i have found that kerosene and a toothbrush works very well.

Kerosene inconvenient?
I've used brake cleaner. It's fairly cheap and a spray.
Soaking in Kero works fine though.
MMO has other uses than chain cleaner.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Kerosene inconvenient?
I've used brake cleaner. It's fairly cheap and a spray.
Soaking in Kero works fine though.
MMO has other uses than chain cleaner.

+1 Kerosene is the BEST way to clean a chain with a brush, after cleaning GET THE CHAIN HOT, then apply you favorite flavor of lube.. MMO is good stuff, but not for this application.

I found a few who use MMO to clean their chains so I tried it...worked well for a relatively light wipe down. I just wet a rag and went over the chain several times to get the gunk off. Wiped it with a dry rag and applied the lube and it seems like it worked great!

Not sure if I'd do the soak method with MMO but for wiping it down it was a snap...and it smells alot better than Kerosene
wink.gif

I don't understand how so many need to use a stiff brush.

The grunge comes off my chain with just kerosine and a soft bristle paint brush.

The chain looks cleaner than new out of the box.

I have used Kerosine and WD-40. There is a write-up with pics on the GS500 forum www.gstwins.com that about various solvents and their effects upon "O"-ring chain and WD-40 did an excellent job and did not swell the rubber. If you use chain wax like Belray, the stiff brushes seem to make getting the grunge off easier. I have been using Stihl chainsaw "Bar and Chain" lube and it is some clingy stuff that stays put for a long time and also cleans off easy with WD-40 when that time comes. I have to admit that my drive shaft bikes are easier to maintain.

prs

Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
I found a few who use MMO to clean their chains so I tried it...worked well for a relatively light wipe down. I just wet a rag and went over the chain several times to get the gunk off. Wiped it with a dry rag and applied the lube and it seems like it worked great!

Not sure if I'd do the soak method with MMO but for wiping it down it was a snap...and it smells alot better than Kerosene
wink.gif

intresting.. glad you had a positive experience. Simple green does a decent job for me for quick cleanings, Im only using Kerosene for my annual heavy cleaning. but reguardless of what im using to take the gunk off, Tri-Flow is what always goes back on.. love that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back