Retailers on crack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed some inexpensive conventional 20w50 oil for a short OCI on the Harley and went to the local motorcycle "superstore" to get some now-hard-to-find Pennzoil motorcycle oil (which I've used before and really like) Surprise, surprise, to find that they have it marked at $6.99/qt! I bought the very same product two years ago for $4.49/qt. Just to be consistent, all the other conventional oils like Yamalube and Honda GN4 were priced just as absurdly. Best of all was Mobil 1 V-Twin at $15.99/qt! The large amount of dust on all of the bottles should be telling these people something.

When will this pricing nonsense with motorcycle oils end?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Motorcycle oil is a low turn around product, they need high markup to cover the cost of inventory.

I would buy that reason if it weren't for the fact that this particular store is all about motorcycles and ATVs and carries about any lubricant made...even castor oil.

Secondly, I've been in 3 Auto Zone stores this week and the all had M1 V-Twin priced at $9.49 per quart, and I'm sure they don't move much motorcycle oil.

This is exactly why I have switched my 4Cyl bikes over to Rotella. I have one case of M1 V-Twin 20W-50 left for my Warrior, so I have some time to research a suitable lower cost alternative for it (which may end up being Rotella as well). I'm done with $50.00 + filter oil changes.

$15.99/Qt is just a gouge

For short OCIs look at Havoline 20W50, Kendall GT-1 20W50, Valvoline Vtwin 20W50, Mobil 1 15W50 (in 5 Qt Jug). These should range $3.00 to $4.25 per Qt and are readily available at Walmart, Auto Zone, etc. HDEOs Like Rotella T 15W40 are an option as well in similar price ranges. Most of these will shear out of grade quickly but put up good UOAs. Just keep the OCI short (2.5K or so).

Of course certain oils at twice the price will run twice the OCI and hold up very well with little or no shearing at all.

Im always hunting motorcycle oil sales, I can't hardly remember the last time i paid close to retail for any of it.. but when in a pinch, wallmart has Mobil 1 4T for under $10 a qrt My local bike shop adds atleast $5.00 a quart to all syn oil..$60.00 for a 4qrt jug is a bit much.... i only buy from them when they have big clearance sales. (motul 4T) for under $4.00 a qrt :) Same goes for filters, and i almost never buy one filter at a time. Ive found the key is clearance sales and end of season sales, stock up, and never pay retail..

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I'm done with $50.00 + filter oil changes.

I hear you. I've put just shy of 24k miles on my Road King in 11 months of riding...8,900 since Easter weekend alone. I have used M1 V-Twin, but am not sure I'm seeing any real benefit to using it. With H-D's 5k OCI, it's getting pretty expensive. My engine is noticeably "louder" when using that oil too. I've run Delvac 1300 15w40 the past two winters, and surprisingly, the engine is much quieter. With the large 10-row Jagg oil cooler I installed, I feel confident using any quality oil.

I don't understand motor oil pricing at all. Prices for all motor oils just keeps going up and there seems to be no ceiling on the price. 1) what is driving prices so high and 2) when will prices level off? This is getting ridonkulous!

These MC oil's are always waaay outa line,crazy,these shops they pray on the unsuspecting customer not knowing that other oil's can be used and that there's nothing special no magical fairy MC oil dust in these MC oil's,it's marketing!.

go to WM and grab any 15w40,5w40 from the big "three" and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't understand motor oil pricing at all. Prices for all motor oils just keeps going up and there seems to be no ceiling on the price. 1) what is driving prices so high and 2) when will prices level off? This is getting ridonkulous!
People pay the price so????

i noticed when the price of a barrel of oil spiked awhile back that the price of gas went up sure but the price of oil,tires..anything oil related went up and pretty much has not come down..

Last edited:
I'm getting Amsoil 10w-40 at the local Farm supply store for $7.99 a quart.

You guys are making it seem like a bargain...

My Harley manual pretty much recommends Harley oil like there is no other oil in the world. But it did say to use a motor oil that has a SG rating when Harley oil isn't available. So while checking oil at the local auto parts store, I came across a few dusty bottles of Exxon 20/50 wt oil. Read the back of the bottle and the only rating it had was SG. At $2.99 per bottle I was in bidness.,,

Motorcycle oil is a low turn around product, they need high markup to cover the cost of inventory.

If it was priced reasonably, it wouldn't be a "low turn around" product, now would it?

The real reason for the high price is excessive profit margin, commonly known as the "gouge".

Originally Posted By: boraticus

If it was priced reasonably, it wouldn't be a "low turn around" product, now would it?

The real reason for the high price is excessive profit margin, commonly known as the "gouge".

Yep and no matter where you go these small shops are all like that then they wonder why there don't sell any and there's 2" of dust on there oils.

my MC shop has Amsoil MCV 20w50 for only $15! LOL!!!!

Even with my employee discount I still cant come close to decent price on Mobil 1 20w-50 vs the Wal Mart price. Still over 2 bucks per quart more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back