Mobil 1 0w40 - 9900 miles / 200 hours - Mod'd TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disregard the comment about Redline additives, I thought they meant FUEL additives, not OIL additives.

So then where is the Si coming from? During this time period I've gotten a new turbo, that might be it. I kept the same airbox (stock one) as from the previous sample.

e20645-001.gif

For a modded turbo, I'd say those are good numbers for 10k - visc. and TBN are especially healthy!

It sure thickened up a lot. I recall on Fred's you said it seemed peppier and to warm up quicker at first. Did that "feeling" stay consistent?

TBN seems really good for a 9,900 mile run.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For a modded turbo, I'd say those are good numbers for 10k - visc. and TBN are especially healthy!

This sample was almost all before the new turbo. Most of the sample period it was just modified (fuel and boost) but still had the stock turbo.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
It sure thickened up a lot. I recall on Fred's you said it seemed peppier and to warm up quicker at first. Did that "feeling" stay consistent?

TBN seems really good for a 9,900 mile run.

It hasn't felt any 'doggier', so I gotta say yes.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
What oils did you run on your previous 8k and 9.5k mile OCIs?

Both of those were the previous formula Amsoil DEO.

Looks pretty good IMO. The oil didn't thicken much at all. Starts at 14 cSt.

I'm surprised the oil is still in grade. I suspect you aren't seeing any fuel dilution.

I'm not up to par on UOA section, however if you added a new turbo the silicon could have come from the install of the turbo... New or used it still could have come from that, that would be the first place I looked, and not much to look at two more OCI's should clean out any silicon etc... I may be way off base here, however I have worked with new castings before (mind you not in a turbo casting) and silicon is a major ingredient in many if not most castings.

Outstanding oil from the looks of the UOA

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
So the big question. What did you refill with?

The rest of my stash of M1 0w40. I'm should be at ~ double the HP and torque of stock, let's see how it holds up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rclint
I'm not up to par on UOA section, however if you added a new turbo the silicon could have come from the install of the turbo... New or used it still could have come from that, that would be the first place I looked, and not much to look at two more OCI's should clean out any silicon etc... I may be way off base here, however I have worked with new castings before (mind you not in a turbo casting) and silicon is a major ingredient in many if not most castings.

Outstanding oil from the looks of the UOA

Both manifolds had to come off for several hours for the turbo install (counter-flow head) so I'm not surprised if some dirt found its way in. And it was a slightly-used manifold and turbo (the manifold includes part of the turbo housing) when I bought it.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I recommend you add some Red Line 30WT race oil to lower your iron and take it to a 20K OCI.

You can't go that far with their racing oils though.

I recommend you add some Red Line 30WT race oil to lower your iron and take it to a 20K OCI.

After 10K miles of this oil I'll be using Redline 0w40.

All the oils I've used (M1 0w40, TDT, D1 ESP, Amsoil DEO), I could go 15K miles and maybe 20K miles. The benefit of 90% highway driving.

I don't see anything wrong with the wear levels considering the conditions / big picture.

Originally Posted By: buster

You can't go that far with their racing oils though.

Yes you can if you use it as a blend of 30%. I have posted two UOAs with 20K OCI using Red Line race oil as a blend. I am heading toward a 30K OCI as we speak with the continuation of one of the 20K OCI.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1953299#Post1953299

Originally Posted By: BobFout

All the oils I've used (M1 0w40, TDT, D1 ESP, Amsoil DEO), I could go 15K miles and maybe 20K miles. The benefit of 90% highway driving.

I don't see anything wrong with the wear levels considering the conditions / big picture.

Your UOA looks good for 10K, but both of my 20K UOAs have less wear using Red Line race oil as a blend. I'm just saying that high moly, Zn and P do work great in our engine even with the factory cat. Truth be told, I am looking for the best mileage for my TDI so I will be dropping viscosity until the wear level is unacceptable for a 10K OCI. After the current 30K OCI is reached I will be running 5W-20 (Lucas + Red Line) and then eventually the NEO 0W-5 that I just bought. The best I can do now is 58mpg and I want to get to 60mpg and above.

az, any plans on running just straight RL? Blends make it hard to tell what is what...

Your by-pass set up is really helping you though.

Hi,
Bob - I good report with only the comments from Blackstone to contend with! Of course all wear metals are accumulative - the further you go in an OCI the greater the number!

As for "mixes" well it is all in the hands of the mixer I expect. For me, I like off the shelf lubricants that are of a known structure - then you have at least a base for trending!

Originally Posted By: buster
az, any plans on running just straight RL? Blends make it hard to tell what is what...

Your by-pass set up is really helping you though.

I might do a half and half of Red Line 5w-20 and 20WT race oil for 10K. I know for a fact that for my particular engine if I don't run the Red Line race oil as a blend I will get a higher wear rate. This observation is based on over 100K of straight oil and over 100K of Red Line Race oil blend. The by-pass setup was installed after 50K miles (i.e. after the warranty period).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back