help removing aftermarket car alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 95 del Sol I bought in May came with a crime-stopper brand alarm system and its just pure junk! It goes off all the time without warning, it wont stop until you take care of it. So anyone have any quick tips on either removing it or disabling the alarm from working period. Live in an apartment complex and people are not happy. So please help.

It goes off even if you don't arm it? The only thing I can suggest is go to Best Buy or someplace similar and get a quality car alarm installed.

You can put the alarm in valet mode and it will not arm at all, the alram won't work but you can keep the peace with your neighbors. I think the door lock/unlock feature still works when in valet mode too. It has been almost 20 years since I worked with Crimestopper but the valet procedure should be the same. Try this:

Under the dash, probably on the driver's side there should be a small red or black push-button switch. This is the valet switch.

To enter Valet Mode:
1. With the alarm disarmed, turn the ignition to the “ON” position.
2. Push and hold valet button for 2 seconds until the LED turns on solid. The LED wills remain on as long as the system is in
'valet mode'.

To exit Valet Mode:
1. To return to normal operation, turn the ignition 'on'.
2. Push and hold program/valet button for 2 seconds, The LED will turn off indicate the system are exiting the valet mode.

I agree with the Scotty. You may need a better quality alarm. If you like, visit www.directed.com for info on Viper alarms and dealers in your area. Directed Electronics (DEI) alarms are the very best you can buy. If you just want to remove the alarm, a DEI dealer can do that for you too. If you want to do it yourself, remove the lower driver's side dash panel and everything should be right there. Cut all the wires for the alarm loose and tape up any exposed wire, the alarm unit itself should be installed under the dash with zip ties, cut them and remove the alarm and any shock or motion sensors. If the alarm has a starter kill, look at the ignition switch harness. I think your starter wire is black/white, about 12 gauge. It may be cut and have a starter kill relay installed on it. If so, cut the relay out and splice the black/white starter wire back together. The starter wire may also be black/yellow.

Let us know how it goes.

Find the brain module and pull the wiring harness out. Not sure where they might have put it, though. Typically I've seen them under the dash.

I'm going to go give the valet mode a shot. I could care less to get a new alarm. Dont care for them and they dont help that much just get you embarassed at Walmart.

The LED light didnt come on instead it just made a 1 beep for on noise, I hope that works. But yes if I dont have the alarm engaged for a period of time the alarm goes off. Stupid, I just wish I could not engage it and everything would work out. But Im going to leave it in "valet mode" if thats what its indeed in right now and see how that works out. Hopefully I can never take it out of valet mode.

I don't think it is in valet mode. I think you entered a program mode or program menu instead and after a time or when the ignition is turned on and off again the will resume its operation. If it is not chirping or flashing the parking lights when you arm then yes it is in valet. If it still chirps the siren when pressing the remote control then it is not in valet mode.

The alarm has passive arming, which is why it will engage and go off even if you have not armed the alarm with the remote control. Passive arming really is a royal pain.

It would help to know which model Crimestopper you have. With the car being a 1995 it could be a very old alarm and valet mode is entered in different ways depending on the alarm model. In any case though, if you are in valet your LED on the dash should be on solid.

If you really want the alarm disabled, it should not be too difficult to remove its fuse, unplug the alarm module or remove the alarm altogether. There may even be a fuse at the battery for the alarm that you can remove so the alarm has no power. Just check the starter after you are done, if there is an onboard starter kill you will need to cut and re-splice the starter wire back together. Even if it is a plain old Bosch starter kill relay it is not a good idea to leave the relay connected to the starter wire if there is no alarm to control it.

If you can post a pic of the alarm remote control, I might be able to find out which model alarm you have and give better directions for entering valet mode. It could be a long shot though given the possibility it could be a really old alarm.

Be glad to help if I can.

Its a model CS197 if that helps. Seems to be working with whatever mode I put it in. I can just unlock the car and do whatever almost as though there isnt an alarm at all. So far that is.

CS 197 is the part number for the siren. According to the internet, that siren came with teh Crimestopper SP-300, SP-500, FS-30 and FS-50 alarms.

I think you do have it in valet mode but the LED is either burned out or disconnected. According to the support section on the Crimestopper web site the LED will light up solid and the siren will chirp one time when you put it in valet.

Maybe try calling Crimestopper at 800.98.6880 ext 210 or looking at the support tab, then manuals on www.crimestopper.com. I think you have an SP-300 or maybe an SP-500 alarm. You can download the entire manual there for free.

Hope that helps keep the peace.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
CS 197 is the part number for the siren. According to the internet, that siren came with teh Crimestopper SP-300, SP-500, FS-30 and FS-50 alarms.

I think you do have it in valet mode but the LED is either burned out or disconnected. According to the support section on the Crimestopper web site the LED will light up solid and the siren will chirp one time when you put it in valet.

Maybe try calling Crimestopper at 800.98.6880 ext 210 or looking at the support tab, then manuals on www.crimestopper.com. I think you have an SP-300 or maybe an SP-500 alarm. You can download the entire manual there for free.

Hope that helps keep the peace.

Thanks for the help!

Ok its been a few days now and that valet mode is working great. The only problem Im having with it now is when I turn sometimes or apply any force to the steering wheel the alarm goes off? Weird. I can live with it because its a quiet alarm but lame. I gotta break that thing.

Gotta find the power to it!

Have you looked for the alarm brain and tried to unplug it?

mx9000-brain.jpg

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
The only problem Im having with it now is when I turn sometimes or apply any force to the steering wheel the alarm goes off?

This tells me the installer who installed your alarm very likely may have tapped into the battery positive wire on the steering column to get the main power connection for the alarm. There is nothing wrong with doing it that way but it sounds like the connection is coming loose. You can remove the panel under the dash and disconnect the alarm from the ignition harness right there at the steering column. The battery positive wire should be white. If you cut loose the main power wire (if it is done at the ignition harness) just tape up any exposed wire and the alarm will no longer work, valet or no valet.

As much trouble as you have had with this alarm, and given the fact you don't care for alarms in general, it really would be best to just remove it altogether.

Id like to just get rid of it. I also dont want to pay an auto electrition either. Ill definately look into cutting the power to it first. Then maybe get it done professionally. I really really really just want to break the thing. Ill look more into it this weekend. The valet mode finally gave way and was going off all night while I was at work. Such garbage. Hate crimestopper alarms.

Look near the fuse box as well as under the dash. You'll probably find the brain box to it. Pull the wiring harness and see if that does it. If you can't find it, it probably is grounded to a screw or bolt, so you can look for that and trace the wire to the brain box.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Since you've found the siren, disconnect it.

I tried that a while ago. I can cut the power to the siren but the alarm will still go off and my car lights flashing.

I found the computer and yanked a random fuse out of it. I tested all my cars electronics and everything was in order. The alarm didnt work anymore so Ill give that a try for a while and see if theres any problems.

This is none of my business really, but since you have gone to all this trouble removing fuses and cutting the siren wire and having so many problems with this alarm, why not just go ahead and remove the lower dash panel (it only has a few Phillips screws and a couple of metal snap-in fastener clips holding it in place) and get under the dash with some wire cutters and a good work light or flash light and just remove the alarm?

The alarm module or "brain" should only be held in place with a few plastic wire ties, probably wire tied to several large factory wire harnesses under the dash. Cut the wire ties, unplug the module and remove the alarm. There should be only a few wires that you would need to worry about, the main one being the wire in the ignition harness for the starter. You would need to cut the starter kill wires and splice the starter wire back together. Then cut the wires that are tapped into the door trigger wire, ignition, battery positive, door lock/unlock and parking lights. If the installer connected the trunk trigger he probably just ran a single wire back to the switch circuit that is part of the latch for the trunk. You can cut the wire up in the dash area or remove it completely from the car, either way would be fine. The parking light connection is probably done with just a female spade terminal at the parking light terminal on the fuse block inside the car. Tape up any wires in the car that were tapped into so there are no short circuits anywhere. Remove the screws holding the siren in place and get rid of the siren too. There is probably no type of pin switch or trigger for the hood but if they did install one then remove that too.

You would probably be a lot happier finally having this alarm out of your car and out of your life. And think of the personal satisfaction you would feel by taking the alarm and jumping up and down on it or destroying it with a baseball bat, sort of like the guys in the movie "Office Space" when they finally destroyed a printer that kept giving them problems.

It really is not very hard to remove an alarm, especially from a Honda. And if you did not want to do it, any good independent car audio shop would be glad to do it for you, and for probably less than $40.00.

I just did that removing the fuse. I was just easier. I dont care to remove it completely as long as it doesnt work Im happy. Its such a mess under there with all the wires I wouldnt do it myself. Ill consider getting it taken out professionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back